United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:09 AM
shadowplay

Default Word re: Assistant Manager

Today, whilst hopelessly prodding around the pitch , purveying a quite horrid sense of mediocrity, one couldn't help but note a lacking of presence whenever the sky cameras shot towards our bench. Glum and static, would perhaps sum it up best. It was bizarre, and quite more than a tad worrying.

Now I fully admit that I neither possess a vast knowledge of the man nor know the tactical abilities attributed to Mickey Phelan, but I suspect it wouldn't be unfair to suggest that he doesn't offer quite the same as Carlos did in his reign.

It would seem that over the last number of seasons, as reported widely, Queiroz played a huge part in the tactics side of our game, and if rumours are to be believed, was slowly being ebbed into the hot-seat when Alex eventually steps down. Be it good or bad, ( many arguments for both sides), Carlos was a pivotal player in the shaping of our side over the last number of years.

The side has grown, for the better, as shown quite brilliantly last season. We're the champions of Europe. But, he's now gone. A major influence no more, and this surely will have had a major disturbance within the squad itself. Personally, I think he'll be a huge loss, and be it a balanced opinion, or a bizarre view to hold, I'd have been quite more profusely confident if he hadn't sauntered off back home. Time will tell.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Zorg

This is what I don't get about the people saying Phelan is ok, or fans don't know enough about him to say either way. The simple question is, is he as good as Quieroz? The answer has to be no. So why have him? Would Fergie let Ronaldo go and replace him with Jimmy Bullard?

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Arnold Muhren

Quieroz did pretty much everything over the last two seasons leaving SAF sitting in his office perusing the contents of The Racing Post.

Confirmed

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Crumps

He's a huge loss. One of the best coaches around imo. Can't really comment on Phlean yet tbh I just hope he learned from Quieroz and tries to carry in in the same vein. I do wish he'd grow his tache again though.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Ether

Shadowplay, your use of the English language borders on the horrific. I don't know where to begin :shakehead:

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:33 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Today, whilst hopelessly prodding around the pitch , purveying a quite horrid sense of mediocrity, one couldn't help but note a lacking of presence whenever the sky cameras shot towards our bench. Glum and static, would perhaps sum it up best. It was bizarre, and quite more than a tad worrying.

Now I fully admit that I neither possess a vast knowledge of the man nor know the tactual abilities attributed to Mickey Phelan, but I suspect it wouldn't be unfair to suggest that he doesn't offer quite the same as Carlos did in his reign.

It would seem that over the last number of seasons, as reported widely, Queiroz played a huge part in the tactics side of our game, and if rumours are to be believed, was slowly being ebbed into the hot-seat when Alex eventually steps down. Be it good or bad, ( many arguments for both sides), Carlos was a pivotal player in the shaping of our side over the last number of years.

The side has grown, for the better, as shown quite brilliantly last season. We're the champions of Europe. But, he's now gone. A major influence no more, and this surely will have had a major disturbance within the squad itself. Personally, I think he'll be a huge loss, and be it a balanced opinion, or a bizarre view to hold, I'd have been quite more profusely confident if he hadn't sauntered off back home. Time will tell.
We essentially lost the first team coach and have the general manager in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Shadowplay, your use of the English language borders on the horrific. I don't know where to begin :shakehead:
Don't mind this gowl SP, we get ya.

Unread 14-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
We essentially lost the first team coach and have the general manager in charge.

Don't mind this gowl SP, we get ya.
That's because you're from the same country. The amount of times I just nod and say yes when talking to drunk Irish blokes in the pub is unreal. I doubt you have the same problem.

Unread 14-09-2008, 04:48 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Carlos was a pivotal player in the shaping of our side over the last number of years.
He was a coach.

HTH

Unread 14-09-2008, 05:35 AM
borsuk

what you say may be true. as yet, however, there's no real evidence. you can hardly blame anyone other than the players themselves for a lot of what went wrong yesterday. you can't blame phelan for vds suddenly deciding to have one of his worst games in the shirt, for example.

yesterday was horrific, but any decisions on how things are working re phelan and rene can't be made on the basis of one or two games. we've had shitty runs before - in fact, time was when it was queiroz who was being blamed for things like that.

personally i don't think it's a particularly inspiring choice, but i'm willing to give it a chance. i think fergie knows he's off and didn't want to bring someone in knowing he'll be replaced in 12 months by a new manager with his own no 2.

Unread 14-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
He was a coach.

HTH
He knows that he was referring to his success with the ladies. If he wasn't involved with football he'd be romancing/nailing middle aged divorcees on all inclusive Holidays. I bet he's great in the sack.

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:35 AM
History

Fergie wants the bootroom mentality.

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Fergie wants the bootroom mentality.
No he doesn't.

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:39 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
No he doesn't.
Appoints phelan..Makes Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Ole take there coaching badges offers ole the ressies. I think he does.

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:48 AM
puressence

how can you take phelan seriously ..

right lads we play this way in his strong burnley accent

the players look at his shorts and walk out pissing themselves

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Appoints phelan..Makes Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Ole take there coaching badges offers ole the ressies. I think he does.
Ne he doesn't. You're chatting wah wah mate.

Unread 14-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
He makes Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Ole take [there] their coaching badges because he sees that they could become good managers in their own right. Nowt to do with bootrooms.

Imagine a PL with this lot as managers...

Keane
Bruce
Sparky
Scholes
The Power
Giggs
Ole
Cantona
Ince
Robson

Unread 14-09-2008, 10:01 AM
waynes ear's

Carlos will be sacked by christmas, back by the end of january

it'll be like signing a new player

Unread 14-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Sevy

An old but interesting article on United's match preparation: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nchesterunited

Unread 14-09-2008, 10:35 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevy
An old but interesting article on United's match preparation: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nchesterunited
quality article that

Unread 14-09-2008, 10:54 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

Cheers for that valuable input. Now rather than having to make pops at posters, why not try and discuss the subject matter, eh?
Closed Thread