United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Whalefish

Question How many players are folk on here

going to be hoping Utd sign in the Summer? And how many do they hope Utd will sell?

I'll tell you what my concern is, after last Summer's inability to offload Saha that's my main worry. Getting to where we have done with two decent strikers (and Ronaldo) this season still baffles me. Also we tend to buy a bit and then offload a bit which has left us a little short in areas. It'll be all well and good adding a few in the Summer but if we end up selling 4/5 more I can see us moaning about Utd lacking decent cover in 'enter position - defence probably' next season.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I could see Silvestre going and Saha if anyone is mad enough to want him. Can't see Brown leaving and maybe Pique could go. I'm basing that on nothing, call it women's intuition if you want.

Players in? Nobody.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:23 AM
dunk

Probably looking at 2.

Maybe 3 depending on outgoings, for the 1st team squad.

Might pick up a couple of youngsters a la Rodrigo. The youth department looks a bit shite at the mo.

A forward or 2, depending on Manucho

A full back

A defender, depending on Brown.

Is what we need, experience tells me we will go into next season 1-2 players short of total dominance. It's the United way.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Ginners

buy:

right back (glen johnson/this portuguese one)
striker - dont know
decent young centre back - dont know

sell/let go:

brown - @#%&!. nft.
saha - if someone is stupid enough to take him
pique - id like him to stay but can see him going

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Whalefish

Personally think we need a CB and a RB, a striker too.

There's still rumours doing the rounds that Utd have a deal in principle for Veloso but I think that'd be a waste of money. Another expensive utility player.

What's left in terms of a right back? Utd target Alves staying in Spain and Lahm staying in Munich. The expensive Bosingwa?

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:30 AM
BarryX

1 signing (striker); 2 or 3 sales (Saha, Silvestre and, IMHO a shock sale with one or more of Giggs, Scholes or Neville out the door). Books need balancing, and as much as I would hate to see it, one of the old boys must surely be out the door. Can't see us keeping all the midfielders we have at present, so reckon it could be Scholesy.

We should go all out for Benzema, using the funds from the above sales. That would keep us pretty well stocked in all areas of the squad, with some really good young un's on board, we are looking really good for the next 5 years.

Most important signing for me, is Carlos Q, on a new contract which would stipulate he takes over from Fergie for at least a 12 month period as and when Fergie steps down.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:34 AM
BarryX

RB - Keep Brown, Cougar as back up, and the new Brazillian twins look £#%&!ing tasty, despite their age.

CB - Keep Pique, Brown as cover.

I think O'Shea should never play CB again, but he can cover in the worst of worst situations, and also do a covering role down the flanks.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Easy

Gone:

Saha
Pique

Wound Down

Neville
Giggs
Scholes

In:

Micah Richards
Dean Ashton (I hope)

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
keano's love

to go --

tevez ( hopefully)
saha ( £#%&! off @#%&! )
brown
o shea
pique

in
rightback -- any target of ours will be better than brown. would take bosingwa
striker -- villa/gomez
evans ( from loan ).
a young CB.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
RB - Keep Brown, Cougar as back up, and the new Brazillian twins look £#%&!ing tasty, despite their age.

CB - Keep Pique, Brown as cover.

I think O'Shea should never play CB again, but he can cover in the worst of worst situations, and also do a covering role down the flanks.

Oh - don't forget O'Shea can also cover in goal and score the occasional winner at Anfailed

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Personally think we need a CB and a RB, a striker too.

There's still rumours doing the rounds that Utd have a deal in principle for Veloso but I think that'd be a waste of money. Another expensive utility player.

What's left in terms of a right back? Utd target Alves staying in Spain and Lahm staying in Munich. The expensive Bosingwa?
Jonny Evans, Pique, Brown if he stays... that's surely cover enough along with what we have?

I'd like to see us sign Glen Johnson, maybe Pompey can have him back for the season as well if Nev is fit & Brown re-signs we'll carry on as we have this year.

Realistically we need a genuine, no £#%&!ing about option from the bench, a fit Louis Saha would be ideal

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
S/Side.Red

To be honest, in terms of numbers the squad is fine. If Saha and Neville were fit now we'd have just about a perfect balance throughout the squad. But they aren't, of course. So for me it's a new striker and a new right-back regardless of what happens with those two, while replacing any outgoing transfers.

In an ideal world we keep everyone here and sign a forward and a good right-back if the consensus is that Neville is £#%&!ed.

Don't think a midfielder is a must.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Realistically we need a genuine, no £#%&!ing about option from the bench, a fit Louis Saha would be ideal
We can't afford to lose any attacking players this Summer. That part of the squad needs an addition, as it did last Summer and in January. If one of the attacking players leave they'll need replacing too.

Also, don't think they'll be any loaning back of a RB should one arrives. He'll be needed next season.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
to go --

tevez ( hopefully)
saha ( £#%&! off @#%&! )
brown
o shea
pique

in
striker -- villa/gomez
evans ( from loan ).
a young CB.
So, basically, completely ruin the squad?

On what grounds do you believe that Evans is better than Pique or Brown, or O'Shea for that matter. Why not save money, keep all of the above and have Evans as your young Center half?

A full back, right hand side will do, but someone that can play both is preferable.

A different option upfront, Huntelaar, Benzema, Gomez or maybe Eto'o

Leave the rest well alone.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Paul Mcgrath

Pique was excellent when he came on, and by what Fergies been saying lately i think he will get a chance to prove himself.

Youngsters coming up to the first team squad:

Pique (Already there)
Evans
Campbell
Rodrigo

Going:

Saha

Coming:

Botswinga (That Porto guy)
A young striker (Huntelaar probably)

By the way, its got nothing to do with this, but im backing Pompey for 4th place next season. A couple of signings and they're better than Liverpool.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Paul Mcgrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
to go --

tevez ( hopefully)
saha ( £#%&! off @#%&! )
brown
o shea
pique

in
striker -- villa/gomez
evans ( from loan ).
a young CB.
Tevez?! WUM

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mcgrath
Tevez?! WUM
He doesn't rate him which is fair enough.

He isn't going anywhere though. Not for a long while.

I'd have Gomez in like a shot. Would be excellent for Utd IMO. As would Huntelaar, but in both cases I think their respective fees would be a huge stumbling block.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM
BarryX

Can't believe that people want Tevez out. OK, he's not got the pace of Ronaldo and Rooney, but to me he's a United player through and through. Never gives up, will fight to the death, etc, etc, and has the Ole habit of scoring all important goals. If he remains happy being part of the squad, and spending a bit of time on the bench, get in one more striker, but FFS, don't sell the lad.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
Can't believe that people want Tevez out. OK, he's not got the pace of Ronaldo and Rooney, but to me he's a United player through and through. Never gives up, will fight to the death, etc, etc, and has the Ole habit of scoring all important goals. If he remains happy being part of the squad, and spending a bit of time on the bench, get in one more striker, but FFS, don't sell the lad.
I know. It seems another example of people feeling the need to commit to an extreme position on every player. He's not scored twenty goals like Torres so he's shit and should be sold. No middle ground. World class or shit.

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I know. It seems another example of people feeling the need to commit to an extreme position on every player. He's not scored twenty goals like Torres so he's shit and should be sold. No middle ground. World class or shit.
Yup.
Closed Thread