Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-06-2007, 09:42 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs up 6 Forgotton Football Classics

Quote:

The Joy of Six: football's forgotten classics

1. 22/11/1995: Real Madrid 0-2 Ajax, Champions League group stages

With their exhilarating speed, fiendish imagination and exquisite technique, Louis van Gaal's young Ajax side of the mid-90s were magnificent to watch. They obliterated Bayern Munich 5-2 with a masterful semi-final performance en route to winning the 1995 Champions League, but on their visit to the Bernabéu the following season they topped even that, dismembering Real with callous force and precision. Not since Hungary's seminal visit to Wembley in 1953 had a major football power been so humiliatingly outclassed on their own patch. Real boasted several special talents themselves (Fernando Redondo, Michel Laudrup, Luis Enrique, Raul ... ) but were lucky to even make it to half-time intact after the Dutch rattled the bar no less than three times (and on one of those occasions, Jari Litmanen's free-kick crossed the line after rebounding downwards off the underside, but the officials failed to award the goal) and Patrick Kluivert had a fine goal harshly disallowed.

Real finally fell behind in the 64th minute, Finidi George slicing them open with a slick through-ball that Litmanen latched on to before drilling under the keeper and in. Eight minutes later they were two up, Kluivert combining niftily with the outstanding Marc Overmars before nudging the ball into the net off the far post. Initially whistled every time they tore forward, Ajax were given a rousing ovation as they swaggered off the pitch at the end, the Spanish crowd expressing their gratitude for the exceptional exhibition of Total Football to which they'd just been treated.

2. 24/04/1991: Red Star Belgrade 2-2 Bayern Munich, European Cup semi-final second leg

In his excellent book, Behind The Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football, Jonathan Wilson writes the following: "For me, the Red Star team of 1991 remains the apogee of football - not the best side I have ever seen but the one that best combined the elements I would most want to see in a team I supported: technical brilliance, fluidity, a capacity for moments of staggering flair, supreme organisation, cynicism and a pervading sense of mental fragility." Seldom were these traits more apparent than in the European Cup semi-final bout with Bayern Munich.

After winning the away leg 2-1 thanks to whirlwind counter-attacking, Red Star seemed set to canter into the final when Sinisa Mihajlovic put them 1-0 up early in the home leg with a trademark long-range free-kick. But then, despite the incredible encouragement of 80,000 berzerkers, they lost their nerve - and Bayern came charging back. Klaus Augenthaler made it 1-1 with a long-distance drive before the superbly named Manfred Bender made it 3-3 on aggregate. Bayern almost snatched a winner in normal time but were denied by a post - and then came the dramatic, farcical finale: in the dying seconds Mihajlovic attempted to pick out Darko Pancev at the back post but underhit his cross; Augenthaler went to whack it clear but instead send the ball spinning backwards towards his own goal - where goalkeeper Raimond Aumann should have caught it comfortably ... but instead palmed it pathetically into the net to trigger bonkers scenes of celebration in the Crvena Zvezda Stadium.

3. 05/05/91: Inter 0-2 Sampdoria, Serie A

Back in the days when Serie A was as exotic, mysterious and inaccessible (it was on BSkyB, average viewing figures: 4) as women's underwear, this was a true classic that dripped operatic intensity and crescendoed unforgettably in the final quarter. As the Sky commentator Martin Tyler eulogised: "In years to come people will say, 'I was here, I was at that game' ... Grown men, hardened football watchers, are scarcely able to turn their eyes to this." It was a title decider in all but name: with four games to go Sampdoria, chasing their first-ever Scudetto, were three points clear of Internazionale when they went to the San Siro. They only realistically needed a draw yet, on the balance of play, they should have lost about 15-3. But with their keeper Gianluca Pagliuca having the game of his life, Sampdoria pulled off the definitive smash-and-grab victory. Just before half-time, and after ceaseless Inter attacking, Jurgen Klinsmann had a splendid goal wrongly disallowed for offside - he was actually played in by Gianluca Vialli - and, moments later, Giuseppe Bergomi and Roberto Mancini were ludicrously sent off for a spat that was less handbags and more lipstick cases.

It was 10-a-side after half-time, yet the game opened up like it was 5-a-side. Inter absolutely battered Sampdoria but, just after Alessandro Bianchi contrived to miss an open goal, Samp stung them on the break, with Beppe Dossena fizzing in his first goal of the season from 20 yards. Then it all went off. Lothar Matthaus, unthinkably, had his penalty saved by Pagliuca, with the rebound hitting his shin and rolling agonisingly wide; Attilio Lombardo hit the post on the break and, in the next wave of the same attack, Vialli's follow-up was miraculously cleared off the line by Andy Brehme. Moments later, it was over: Vialli took a long ball, muscled Ricardo Ferri aside and rounded Walter Zenga to score the 18th goal of a wonderfully redemptive season that washed away his Italia 90 regrets. Inter didn't go quietly, with their fans bombarding Pagliuca with missiles and flares. But when the dust and the smoke settled, Samp had all but clinched the title, and in circumstances they would never forget.

4. 24/04/88: Arsenal 2-3 Luton, Littlewoods Cup final

A sizzlingly hot April afternoon, a classic Wembley match-up: Arsenal v Luton, holder v underdog. Arsenal were prohibitive favourites, and rightly so, for this was the team of Adams, Winterburn, Rocastle, Thomas, Davis and Smith; the team that would go on to win the League at Anfield in 1989. Even when Brian Stein put Luton ahead, Arsenal pressed with the confidence of victors. They hit the post, twice. They missed a hatful of chances. And they came up against Andy Dibble - usually so nervy and jittery - who, for one day only, became Billy the Fish.

Finally, however, Arsenal's pressure seemed to tell. On 72 minutes, Martin Hayes equalised. On 76 minutes, they went 2-1 ahead when Dibble dived to avoid Alan Smith's straight shot. Moments later, David Rocastle won a dubious penalty. Winterburn stepped up ... and Dibble saved! Luton, who had sported the bedraggled look of a down-and-out, renewed the fight. With eight minutes left, Gus Caesar was comically caught in possession, and Stein set up Danny Wilson for the equaliser. Then, in the very last minute, Ashley Grimes' curled in a sublime cross, Stein steered it past John Lukic, and Luton were League Cup winners - their first trophy in 103 years. Undoubtedly the best Wembley final of the last 25 years.

5. 19/04/89: Milan 5-0 Real Madrid, European Cup semi-final, second leg

Behind every great Milan side, it seems, is an era-defining victory over a Spanish superpower. Just as Fabio Capello's cosmopolitan mid-90s collective trounced Barcelona in the 1994 Champions League final, so Arrigo Sacchi's ancestors smashed Real Madrid 5-0 in the 1989 semi-final. This was a top-shelf Real side - in the middle of a run of five consecutive titles, and with a devastating attacking unit of Bernd Schuster, Martin Vazquez, Michel, Hugo Sanchez and Emilio Butragueno (the following season they would score a La Liga record 107 goals). Yet they were obliterated, five down inside an hour and lucky that Milan spent the last half hour savouring the moment.

Fittingly, given the English template that Sacchi had used to revolutionise Italian football, most of the goals had a strong English flavour, with three from crosses and another that was thrillingly route-one. Carlo Ancelotti scored the first, zig-zagging past two in midfield before lashing a 25-yarder through Paco Buyo's feeble flap, and seven minutes Frank Rijkaard rammed in a header from Mauro Tassotti's cross after Madrid were caught short at a short corner. Ruud Gullit made it three on half-time, leaping majestically to head in Roberto Donadoni's inviting cross, and just after the break he knocked down Rijkaard's long pass for Marco Van Basten to thrash in the fourth. Madrid's woe was complete when, from another short corner, Donadoni's near-post drive sneaked past the miserable Buyo. Milan added four more against Steaua Bucharest in an equally one-sided final, but it was here that they made their formal, undeniable application for greatness.

6. 23/08/93: Aston Villa 1-2 Man Utd, Premiership

The first epic contest of the Premiership era came at the start of the second season, when the defending champions United visited the runners-up, an experienced, chastened Villa. There was something in the Birmingham air that night, because both sides went at each other from the start: it was as if, not unlike the film Speed, the players had been told that the stadium would explode if the pace of the contest dropped below 100mph. Lee Sharpe, a Villa fan, put United ahead early on after a lovely give-and-go between Ryan Giggs and Paul Ince, then in his snarling, box-to-box pomp, but Villa equalised on the stroke of half-time when Dalian Atkinson outpaced, erm, Steve Bruce before thrashing a drive through Peter Schmeichel's hands at the near post.

Villa came out flying after the break: Dean Saunders' hooked volley was wonderfully saved by Schmeichel and, when the resulting corner was cleared, Kevin Richardson larruped a glorious half-volley off the face of a post. United were shaken, but Ince slowly, surely reasserted control, an arm-wrestler moving almost incrementally into a position of control. His long pass enabled Giggs to hit the post, then Andrei Kanchelskis's daisy-cutter was clawed out by Nigel Spink. Finally, in the 74th minute, Ince guillotined Villa's defence with a long, straight through pass, and Sharpe coolly sidefooted in his second.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...lls_forgo.html

Some great games there. Spain - Yugoslavia was especially brilliant. In fact, Euro 2000 was a majestic tournament. France, Portugal & Holland all had outstanding teams. Hagis last hurrah for Romania too. Just a shame every tournament since has been gash.

Unread 13-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Zorg

That last one is spot on, my brother still goes on about it now. It was a brilliant game.

Arsenal-Luton was superb too but I'm not sure it was 'Undoubtedly the best Wembley final of the last 25 years.'

I would also add Bulgaria 3 Romania 2 in USA 94. £#%&!ing brilliant.

Unread 13-06-2007, 10:38 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

The game against Villa was superb!

Sharpey's celebration!

Great atmosphere too, God it seems along time ago now!

Seem to remember it was on a Monday night. Is that right?

Unread 13-06-2007, 10:52 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

I would also add Bulgaria 3 Romania 2 in USA 94. £#%&!ing brilliant.
I think you mean Argentina 2 Romania 3? If so, I totally agree. Fabulous game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Seem to remember it was on a Monday night. Is that right?
Yea. Ford Monday Night Football on Sky

Actually, thinking about Euro 2000, that must surely be the best international tournament since Mexico 86?

Spain 4 - 3 Yugoslavia
England 2 - 3 Portugal
France games against Spain and Portugal
Holland loosing on penalties to Italy after a great game.
Then the final itself. Brilliant entertainment.

Unread 13-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I think you mean Argentina 2 Romania 3? If so, I totally agree. Fabulous game.

Sorry yes. I think I'd had a joint at the time

Unread 13-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Stickman

Watford Fulham last season was not bad

Unread 13-06-2007, 11:03 AM
MakeBelieve

Holland 2-3 Czech Republic at Euro 2004

fantastic game, remember Nedved's shot that hit the bar?

Unread 13-06-2007, 11:05 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Sorry yes. I think I'd had a joint at the time
No problem

When ESPN classic started, they used to show old European Cup games. Shame they don't anymore, especially games from the mid 80's on wards. Would love to see Milans 5-0 win in full.

Unread 13-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Darth Vidic

Anyone remember this game from Serie A? (Could only find the last goal, not the full game annoyingly)

[YOUTUBE]hyca8wSF4sc[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 13-06-2007, 02:52 PM
The Watcher

bttt

Unread 13-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Serenity Now

Great list, 5 of my favourite matches of all time there!

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:04 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Great list, 5 of my favourite matches of all time there!
I take it Luton doesn't get your blood flowing like United or Milan

Check out the link to the Guardian blog, they've got Youtube/Dailmotion links to all the goals in those games.

Didn't Deportivo make an amazing come back against Milan a few years ago. 2004 I think? Lost at the San Siro 4-1, but beat Milan in the return leg 4-0. Valeron was in his pomp at the time. Incredible game

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Didn't Deportivo make an amazing come back against Milan a few years ago. 2004 I think? Lost at the San Siro 4-1, but beat Milan in the return leg 4-0. Valeron was in his pomp at the time. Incredible game
Yep. Was a great tie, although their defeat in the second leg was just as much down to Milan totally falling apart as it was to Depor's performance. Very strange one, that was.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:19 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Yep. Was a great tie, although their defeat in the second leg was just as much down to Milan totally falling apart as it was to Depor's performance. Very strange one, that was.
It never seemed "right" to me...

Although, given their performance in the final the following year, they had form

Ajax coming back in the second leg (away!) to Panathinaikos in 1995 was excellent.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:20 PM
scherben

Quote:
I take it Luton doesn't get your blood flowing like United or Milan

Check out the link to the Guardian blog, they've got Youtube/Dailmotion links to all the goals in those games.

I really rated him, and hoped he'd end up at OT

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:26 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherben
I really rated him, and hoped he'd end up at OT
Loved watching him play, although I think he may have struggled with the faster pace of the Premiership. Had a great game against us when the Depor came to OT and beat us 3-2.

Course, we got our own back in the Quarter Final a few months later

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:28 PM
scherben

He may have struggled

But I reckon he'd have done well

Oh well

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Serenity Now

Valeron was even slower and more lazy than Riquelme

Would never have made it in England. Fantastic player though.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Ajax coming back in the second leg (away!) to Panathinaikos in 1995 was excellent.
That Ajax team was phenomenal. As well as destroying Madrid, I remember they absolutely demolished Bayern Munich in the 94/95 semi final.

The football they played really was out of this world. Tactically up there with Milan of the late 80s.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:43 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
That Ajax team was phenomenal. As well as destroying Madrid, I remember they absolutely demolished Bayern Munich in the 94/95 semi final.

The football they played really was out of this world. Tactically up there with Milan of the late 80s.
I remember it well. They beat a good Milan side home and away during the group stage too that season. Like you say, a great side.
Closed Thread