United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:05 AM
silv

Default What went wrong?

Like some have said, losing to Liverpool and city is one thing

Getting smashed by Watford. Awful defending, no fight, no spirit

What’s happened since Newcastle at home?

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:07 AM
Vedder

2005 that’s what went wrong

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:07 AM
Dr Stranger

He had to win that Europa final. That absolutely killed his tenure IMO.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:08 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He had to win that Europa final. That absolutely killed his tenure IMO.
This, totally absolutely 100%.

Some of us said he had to go that night with good reason.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:09 AM
tatty

He gave up and the players gave up.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:09 AM
AK14

We’ve looked a disjointed mess for quite a while

Even that win at Newcastle we looked a shambles, but they’re were hopeless.

A very good transfer window has piled the on the pressure to compete and it could well have been too much, especially considering the limitations of the coaching set up.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:10 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
This, totally absolutely 100%.

Some of us said he had to go that night with good reason.
We had to see a response. With the signings we made and the pressure on him, we simply had to step things up. We should be right in this title race. There’s really no excuse for it with the fixtures we’ve had, the relative lack of injuries and the firepower we’ve got.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:11 AM
Dasilvatwins

Ronaldo signing came out of nowhere. He then has to rejig his squad a bit to play him. We can no longer press high up , somehow we ended up with this half press and left big gaps. Form was lost and we never got it back really.

His tactic relies on having a good CM, or just having competent ones. Ronaldo rashford Greenwood are all forwards who say like to stay forward . They’re not really sort of grafters , so they were far forward and the gap between the two number 6s and the attack was vast.

Add in a combination of shit players making basic errors each game and a set piece coach who seems to have made us worse. Only team who have yet to score from a corner this year and we are the team who have conceded the most from corners.

The weird thing is VDB with a run at number 6 and who knows maybe he has his man. There is something dodgy going on behind the scenes with that and ole didn’t want to play.

Bruno’s form also took a hit and he has been largely gash since Ronaldo arrived. It’s a number of different things but as a manager he has to be doing better as a set up.

I don’t hold any hatred for him I think he’s left the squad better than what he inherited , he just doesn’t know what to do with it right now. Still a few players need to leave, Jones/pogba/lingard. A few I don’t think are good enough AWB/lindelof/Fred/The Scottish Player . There’s still loads to do with this team

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:11 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

He lost the changing room when we lost the final and he was to scared to make a sub imo. First full game back in front of a full ground at O.T got us through the Leeds game and Ronnie's homecoming got us through the Newcastle game. Apart from that the season has been woeful. If it wasn't for Ronaldo we'd be lower in the league then we are and already out of the champions league. Absolutley sick to my stomach that it's gone like this. So called Reds on here gloating ffs.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:12 AM
saffers

Rather ask what went right.

Answer> not much.

Good night reds. May this be the start of the recovery.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:13 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Rather ask what went right.

Answer> not much.

Good night reds. May this be the start of the recovery.
Dont wake up you £#%&!ing snivelling @#%&!

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:13 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
He lost the changing room when we lost the final and he was to scared to make a sub imo. First full game back in front of a full ground at O.T got us through the Leeds game and Ronnie's homecoming got us through the Newcastle game. Apart from that the season has been woeful. If it wasn't for Ronaldo we'd be lower in the league then we are and already out of the champions league. Absolutley sick to my stomach that it's gone like this. So called Reds on here gloating ffs.
I’ve not exactly covered myself in glory during the last few weeks but take no pleasure in his sacking

Just wish it might’ve been nipped in the bud before it got this toxic

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:16 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Dont wake up you f***ing snivelling c***

Quote:
I’ve not exactly covered myself in glory during the last few weeks but take no pleasure in his sacking

Just wish it might’ve been nipped in the bud before it got this toxic
Oh you're a @#%&! nqat. I was talking more about the Norwegian and the city reject feeder tbh.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:22 AM
ZiggyStardust

I think there’s been a number of times this could have happened but he’s always gotten that result to arrest the slump before it got this bad
The Liverpool game was the one previously he would have gotten a result in but the nature of that result absolutely killed him and the team

I don’t think we should ignore the impact of fans being back in stadiums
Ole as permanent manager has only ever being good in front of no fans
All those away come back wins wouldn’t have happened in front of fans

The signing of Ronaldo has to be a factor
He’s done his job of scoring goals but it wasn’t planned and I think it has upset whatever fragile balance there was in the side
It also raised expectations to a level Ole could never fulfill

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:25 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

Newcastle at home?

This has been coming since last season mate. Have a look at us falling over the line again.

Giving him a new contract in the summer was madness.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:28 AM
jem

so much wrong. we couldn't pass up ronaldo at that price and he's pulled us out of the fire a few times, but wrecked what little team cohesion we had, cowed bruno and offers next to £#%&! all except strikes (and.... when he's off, like today... £#%&! all).

and the form of our england players.... don't know if losing two finals the same way has crushed them, but they've been awful and greenwood has been superb. coincidence? I think not.

we've needed a strong (ruthless) and confident manager.

but it is all down to the glazers, ultimately. they have destroyed us as a trophy hunting team.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:31 AM
MUFC One Love

Pressure. We signed some top players and have a good squad. He can't get away with low expectations and playing on the break. He hasn't got it at the top level.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:35 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I think there’s been a number of times this could have happened but he’s always gotten that result to arrest the slump before it got this bad
The Liverpool game was the one previously he would have gotten a result in but the nature of that result absolutely killed him and the team

I don’t think we should ignore the impact of fans being back in stadiums
Ole as permanent manager has only ever being good in front of no fans
All those away come back wins wouldn’t have happened in front of fans

The signing of Ronaldo has to be a factor
He’s done his job of scoring goals but it was planned and I think it has upset whatever fragile balance there was in the side
It also raised expectations to a level Ole could never fulfill
All fair.

I think he had three spells of consistency:

When he first arrived
Project restart
Middle of last season when we went top

Two of those spells were without fans. Even in those good spells, we never looked controlled, calm or balanced. Everything chaotic and dramatic, for most of his tenure. So few bog-standard fuss-free wins, especially at home.

He did a tremendous job installing some confidence and helping the club get some fundamentals in place: young players, attacking intent and got rid of a LOT of shit from the squad, probably more ruthlessly than most before him.

But the more he got the team he wanted, the more it has exposed him as a poor coach. He simply isn’t capable of taking us to where we need to be. There’s still issues with the squad, but there’s no excuse, with the fixtures we had early on, to not be in the title mix.

Instead, we’ve regressed. We’ve stopped doing the basics, stopped working and I think he’s lost confidence in himself. Half pressing one week, back 5 the next: we’re just limping from one week to next looking for reaction. Meanwhile, the players have clearly lost faith in his ability and they’ve conveniently downed tools. The majority of them should be ashamed of themselves too….

….but, the buck stops with the manager and most of them would/will look 10 x better with a proper manger who they are willing to invest in.

It’s a sad day. He’s a United guy and a club legend. He deserves better than it to end like this I’ve no faith whatsoever that the club will get it right from here.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:48 AM
Neo

The hardest thing to do as a top-level football manager is evolve and recover from a slump. Ole had a great run at one point, and did a lot of healing in the horrid aftermath of Mourinho.

However, this season he’s proved that he’s taken us as far as he can, and he just wasn’t able to evolve tactically, or recover from the slump we hit. The Liverpool game was obviously the death-knell, and he understandably lost the players at that point.

The fact the club kept him on after that game because they were too tight-£#%&! to pay out his compensation has caused so much untold and unnecessary misery. All in all, he improved the standards at the club during his tenure by removing the Mourinho poison, shifted lots of deadwood, signed some top players, blooded some youth, brought Ronaldo home, and provided us with some great moments, particularly the numerous wins over City and of course that night in Paris. Just a classic case of a man reaching his ceiling by the end, and it’s a damning indictment on the club hierarchy that they have no succession plan.

Unread 21-11-2021, 12:50 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
The hardest thing to do as a top-level football manager is evolve and recover from a slump. Ole had a great run at one point, and did a lot of healing in the horrid aftermath of Mourinho.

However, this season he’s proved that he’s taken us as far as he can, and he just wasn’t able to evolve tactically, or recover from the slump we hit. The Liverpool game was obviously the death-knell, and he understandably lost the players at that point.

The fact the club kept him on after that game because they were too tight-£#%&! to pay out his compensation has caused so much untold and unnecessary misery. All in all, he improved the standards at the club during his tenure by removing the Mourinho poison, shifted lots of deadwood, signed some top players, blooded some youth, brought Ronaldo home, and provided us with some great moments, particularly the numerous wins over City and of course that night in Paris. Just a classic case of a man reaching his ceiling by the end, and it’s a damning indictment on the club hierarchy that they have no succession plan.
They really haven’t looked beyond the guy from Molde being an undoubted success.
Closed Thread