United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up Hopefully another moment of clarity for the doomlords

Shock horror: we have a high quality squad that makes it a very tricky task to get the right players in to improve it

Hargreaves would be one; Rossi, Foster, Gibson, Simpson and Evans must have a chance as well.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
shadowplay

Throb, I am beginning to fall in love with you.

Well, not you so much, but your positivity has got me smitten.

Tell me some good stuff what's going to happen to me.

Please.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Zorg

Yes but there was a really lazy throw-in from Heinze midway through the first half which almost didn't reach Wes Brown.

The @#%&!

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Tumescent Throb

I predict an easy day for you tomorrow, where you can take everything in your stride, and where happy thoughts inspire everyone you come into contact with.

These feelings will only strengthen, and by the weekend you will be on such a high you'll be a pure sex magnet.

Your mood will be lifted further as the sun beats down and United set up a trip to Wembley in a haze of Saturday tea time alcohol fuelled joy.

It's all good, it really is

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Tropical

Default Heh.

Savour it for what it is, Throb. It's one game. Don't try to make it prove stuff. That can only detract from it.

All this proves is how wonderful it is to be a United fan when United do what only United can do.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:52 AM
shadowplay

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I predict an easy day for you tomorrow, where you can take everything in your stride, and where happy thoughts inspire everyone you come into contact with.

These feelings will only strengthen, and by the weekend you will be on such a high you'll be a pure sex magnet.

Your mood will be lifted further as the sun beats down and United set up a trip to Wembley in a haze of Saturday tea time alcohol fuelled joy.

It's all good, it really is
Sounds fan-£#%&!ing-tastic, matey

If your prediction does become true,i shall report back.

If not, well..............I'll do nothing, most likely.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
Savour it for what it is, Throb. It's one game. Don't try to make it prove stuff. That can only detract from it.

All this proves is how wonderful it is to be a United fan when United do what only United can do.
One game? What are you on about?

It's April. We're top of the league. And we're in both cup semi-finals.

One game :appropriatesmiley:

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

United's team has never been a problem imo - top 3 for how many years? always there or there abouts, only downer has been a couple of seasons where the football was not really being played the man utd way, but with ferguson it's only a matter of time before he gets things right again.

United do get these high scoreline games from time to time - i remember a game against Ipswich a while back that we won something like 9-1! everything just clicks and we're unstoppable.

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
United's team has never been a problem imo - top 3 for how many years? always there or there abouts, only downer has been a couple of seasons where the football was not really being played the man utd way, but with ferguson it's only a matter of time before he gets things right again.

United do get these high scoreline games from time to time - i remember a game against Ipswich a while back that we won something like 9-1! everything just clicks and we're unstoppable.
Er, it was 9-0 and it just a tad famous, Lou

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Tumescent Throb

Did I mention we're in the Final of the Youth Cup as well.

Oh and we've scored well over 100 goals already this season

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Er, it was 9-0 and it just a tad famous, Lou

oops - was at that game as well! couldnt be arsed googling it - never been that good at remembering all the scores/times/dates but yeah that one i should have no excuse for!

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
oops - was at that game as well! couldnt be arsed googling it - never been that good at remembering all the scores/times/dates but yeah that one i should have no excuse for!
I bet you were at the game when we beat City 7-3 as well

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
I bet you were at the game when we beat City 7-3 as well

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

nope but i was at the game where they beat us 5-1

Unread 11-04-2007, 02:07 AM
neworder

Thob

is my bird playing away?

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
nope but i was at the game where they beat us 5-1
Preseumably this is supposed to be a witty reposte and a knowing wink. However, the fact you claim to have been at a match we won 9-0 but can't remember the score would suggest otherwise - probably on both counts. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworderdude
Thob

is my bird playing away?
See thread: "Where's ear's"

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Fountz

Default I'm a self confessed Doomlord..

Quote:
Shock horror: we have a high quality squad that makes it a very tricky task to get the right players in to improve it

Hargreaves would be one; Rossi, Foster, Gibson, Simpson and Evans must have a chance as well.
..and I really enjoyed it.

No ifs, no buts, great display..

Particuarly impressed with Carrick. ( absolutely love that first time weighted volley pass in the build up to Smudger's goal )
I wish players who obviously have a decent shot would be prepared have a go more often.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default It completely slipped my mind until just, but

we're top of the Reserves League as well.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Tropical

Default What I'm on about

Quote:
One game? What are you on about?
is that if you want to make a point about the quality of the squad, rather than the first team, you could just as easily use Saturday as last night. And that last night should be relished for its own spectacular beauty, rather than to reinforce an existing argument. Why? Well...

Quote:
It's April. We're top of the league.
Exactly. It's April. If we're top of the league at the end of May 13th, then you may have a point. Although if we're top of the league at the end of May 13th, I doubt I'll be paying the slightest attention to what anyone has to say about anything at all.

Quote:
And we're in both cup semi-finals.
Yep, that's an achievement in itself and not to be discounted.

But my point is that you judge a squad by their performances over time. And particularly squad players. Fletcher, for instance, was excellent last night; but then he was excellent in the FA cup semi v Arsenal three years ago. In between, not so excellent. O'Shea has resembled an actual footballer of late, but in the intervening four years since he last did so, he has not been fun to watch. Richardson remains shit, which under the circumstances took some doing

I did note, though, that Patrice Evra was ace at right-back. Even got a goal. That's your favourite problem position sorted. Unless, of course, you care to point out that he came on against already destroyed opposition. And well you might. One game.

If this sounds like carping, I assure you it's not. Last night was an utter joy. I just think it's a self-contained joy, and shouldn't be harnessed in the service of told-you-so's. It's too early to say if it proves anything other than (as I already said) there are times when no other football club I know of can provide its fans with exhilaration like that.

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Well what can I say? It's a point of view I suppose.

O'Shea did very well in midfield in the second half of last season, btw.

Which as it happens is roughly the time we can trace our current superb football back to.

There have been the odd games here and there where we've been poor, and I'm not surprised some people's mentality is to grasp onto them - like comparing Roma last week with Middlesbrough away 4-1 for jem style example!

And then there are those who see our squad as being very good, and consider the football they have played for well over a year now as the clearest possible evidence of their growing experience, confidence, maturity and comaraderie.

You are right of course, one swallow does not a summer make. And last night was a one-off fantastic, mesmeric display of football majesty. But I do not need to use last night's performance to make a point to any dissenters as regards our current team, squad, management, football, results or position. They are doing that perfectly well on their own. Anyone who refuses to see it has a problem that is no real concern of mine, tbh.

No; my agenda is nothing to do with I told you so (even though I did ;-)) The title was carefully chosen: "hopefully another moment of clarity".

I admit I like taking the piss out of assertions pertaining to ill-judged doomlordery wherever and whenever I can be bothered to counter them with a reality check.

And wow how the reality manifested itself last night. We are a great team and a very fine squad
Closed Thread