saffers

Default Tom Cleverley

Is he all that?

Unread 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Harri Jaffa

He's no Darren Fletcher

Unread 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Tiberian

Has a lot of ability on the ball but(historically) you need more that to be a Utd midfielder. 3 matches in, 3 matches in which Utd have struggled when under pressure and he has been anonymous in those periods.

There are other problems with the midfield but he is lightweight, struggles to make any impact defensively and shows little goal threat.

Not enough authority in his play at the moment for the role he is asked to play.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
JakeB

Think there a bigger problems in this team than Cleverley tbf.

He hasn't even played 20 games for us yet.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Tronics

he isn't all that.

especially if you compare him to the quality players we've let go in his position (Pogba)

but he's doing no worse than Carrick so has seemed to survive season in season out no matter what he does because he's the only player in the squad that can play his position

i still think we would look much better with a PROPER out and out DMF doing the 'dirty' stuff and allowing the likes of Carrick and Cleverley to play further upwards.

p.s. he looked much better playing alongside Joe Allen for Team GB than he does with Carrick who constantly passes the ball sideways and just sits infront of the back 4

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Think there a bigger problems in this team than Cleverley tbf.

He hasn't even played 20 games for us yet.
I agree - it would still be nice for him to regain the form of a year ago, though

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
he isn't all that.

especially if you compare him to the quality players we've let go in his position (Pogba)

but he's doing no worse than Carrick so has seemed to survive season in season out no matter what he does because he's the only player in the squad that can play his position

i still think we would look much better with a PROPER out and out DMF doing the 'dirty' stuff and allowing the likes of Carrick and Cleverley to play further upwards.

p.s. he looked much better playing alongside Joe Allen for Team GB than he does with Carrick who constantly passes the ball sideways and just sits infront of the back 4
So you think Pogba is better than Cleverley right now?

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I agree - it would still be nice for him to regain the form of a year ago, though
3 games? When the rest of the team were all on form and whisper it quietly, he was inferior to the fat man beside him.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
3 games? When the rest of the team were all on form and whisper it quietly, he was inferior to the fat man beside him.
give it a £#%&!ing rest

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Cream

I thought he was ace last season, when he played well we played well.

Maybe he needs us to play well for him to shine too.

Early days.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Tronics

Quote:
So you think Pogba is better than Cleverley right now?
nope. i just dont think they're that far apart in terms of development.

if Pogba was given the same amount games as Clevs has (whether thats on loan or with us) he probs would have come along much better than he did

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
give it a £#%&!ing rest
Tibbers LOVES Carrick for some reason. always seems to have a ready made excuse for him but anyone else gets stick

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
The Watcher

Bit of a myth, based mostly on pre-season friendlies.

Nice and tidy when Utd have the ball, but a complete non entity when the opposition do. Underwhelmed with him atm.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
JakeB

Quote:
nope. i just dont think they're that far apart in terms of development.

if Pogba was given the same amount games as Clevs has (whether thats on loan or with us) he probs would have come along much better than he did
Cleverley is 23, Pogba is 18. Pogba would have got the same chances of Cleverley (first team or loan) if he'd been a bit more patient.

It's a shame he didn't get more of a chance last season, but he could have maybe waited.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:20 PM
saffers

I'm with you all the way tiberian, we lost a spark today that was there when we were annihilating Fulham for that 35 minute period after Rvp's equaliser last week.

I'd take a fully fit and on form Anderson over a fully fit cleverley any day. Doesn't reallly help the kid and his motivation when you've got Ferguson hyping as 'the best midfielder in the land' when had only played 4 games for us or whatever it was.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
give it a £#%&!ing rest
No.

However I do not want to turn it into another Anderson discussion though.

Cleverley has not as yet proven he is anything more than a tidy little player, no goal threat, not very creative, a nice tidy nice little footballer with no edge to his game at all so far.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Cleverley is 23, Pogba is 18. Pogba would have got the same chances of Cleverley (first team or loan) if he'd been a bit more patient.

It's a shame he didn't get more of a chance last season, but he could have maybe waited.
patients wasnt the issue. it was our coaching staffs inability to get him involved, even when our first players were off form

he was good enough to play for the first team (in some role) at 17 let alone 18

him and Raheem Sterling stood out whenever we played them in the reserves and look at Sterling now. holding down a place for LFC and keeping out Downing.

Pogba could have done the same for us if he was given a chance when he deserved it. Dont blame him for £#%&!ing off tbh. no point hanging around when the manager doesnt fancy you.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Tibbers LOVES Carrick for some reason. always seems to have a ready made excuse for him but anyone else gets stick
He was shit today, but at least in the past he has proven himself against some of the best teams in Europe. Carrick has top class performances in him, yet to see that from Cleverley.

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
rafabio

i am sorry but if somebody complains about cleverley after todays game he is a £#%&!ing tit. Since cleverley was much better compared to that shithouse carrick

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
MUFC One Love

He isn't a deep playing midfielder imo. He likes to be involved further forward.
Closed Thread