United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 14-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Manchester

Default David Bailey's of the Forum

Anyone into photography and cameras? And whilst the "Real Girls" thread is shit hot, as are the other threads containing naked ladies

However, I'm interested in purchasing a DSLR camera, and wondered where to start, and if anyone can recommend a decent starter camera and lens?

Have got a budget of 700 - 900, so would like a decent one if possible.

Up to now, I've only ever had point and shoot digital cameras, so never really played around with manual settings to get all the different effects, but would love to have a crack at it.

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:04 PM
JakeB

Default Re: David Bailey's of the Forum

You can buy my Canon EOS 1D Mark II off me if you want

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
You can buy my Canon EOS 1D Mark II off me if you want
Big old unit that isn't it!

Bet it cost a fair wedge in it's day too.

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:12 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
Big old unit that isn't it!

Bet it cost a fair wedge in it's day too.
Yeah it did, but having to move with the times! Upgrading all my stuff so I'm selling three 1d mark II bodies.

My first decent SLR digital was a Canon 350d with the lens that came with it (can't remember what that was), so I suppose the equivalent now is the 450d..which would be well within your budget. Maybe go for the 500d if you want something better than entry level. After that its the 50d and the 7d which are a bit pricey. I don't know much about Nikon though

As for the lens, either get whatever one comes with the body in a deal, or it depends on what you want to shoot.

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Manchester

You've got 3 of them Greedy

How much would you be selling one for out of interest?

Why did you chose Canon over Nikon?

To be honest I'm not sure what I'd be photographing at the moment. More for holidays and when out and about, so scenery, wildlife and family. My missus must print out about 800 or so photos every time we go away, so she's up for learning how to use a DSLR, rather than just a point and shoot.

Just need to try and understand the lingo and what the various settings actually do. You know, such as aperture and all that kind of stuff..

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:29 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
You've got 3 of them Greedy

How much would you be selling one for out of interest?

Why did you chose Canon over Nikon?

To be honest I'm not sure what I'd be photographing at the moment. More for holidays and when out and about, so scenery, wildlife and family. My missus must print out about 800 or so photos every time we go away, so she's up for learning how to use a DSLR, rather than just a point and shoot.

Just need to try and understand the lingo and what the various settings actually do. You know, such as aperture and all that kind of stuff..
Well, I've got 4 1d's in total at the moment, but only 3 mark II Sports photographer, so always have at least 2 with me at a game

Haven't got an exact figure in mind, somewhere between 500-700 I expect, whatever the going rate on ebay is. Canon have released the Mark IV now, so they're a bit dated at professional level.

I've just always used Canon, can't remember why I started, so it's just what I'm used to. Plenty of photographers I know prefer Nikon though..but that's a lot to do with Canon fucking up their 1d Mark III

Sounds like you'd be fine with the kind of wide ranging lens that comes with a body..so it can go from a pretty wide angle for landscape/scenery etc and a tighter angle for portraits or whatever. As for using an slr it's pretty simple really, plus because its digital you can practice without wasting your money on film

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Stone Monkey

The 1D Mark II is superb. I have the Mark IIn and I love it.

About to buy a 24mm L prime, $1700

It gets expensive

If I was you i would stay away from the entry level SLR's and go for a midrange. the Canon 40 & 50D's are both excellent and now carry alot of the tech over from the pro-range line.

I never realised what a huge difference there is with the pro-level cameras until I got one.

Get on ebay, loads of stuff on there. Just ask to see the exif data re: the shutter actuations to make sure they have'nt been caned.

Unread 14-05-2010, 08:49 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
The 1D Mark II is superb. I have the Mark IIn and I love it.
Using a Mark IIn too now, big improvement from my mark II. Needed a mark IV really but couldnt afford it...gone for a 7d with battery grip and it's a brilliant camera

Unread 14-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Using a Mark IIn too now, big improvement from my mark II. Needed a mark IV really but couldnt afford it...gone for a 7d with battery grip and it's a brilliant camera
The 7D looks superb. I sold my 20D with battery grip and 17mm - 85mm Is USM to fund my IIn body

Whats with the Mark III Jake? I've never heard anything bad about them? I was thinking of upgrading to that early next year for the 3" screen, better interface and slightly more megs.

Unread 14-05-2010, 09:18 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
The 7D looks superb. I sold my 20D with battery grip and 17mm - 85mm Is USM to fund my IIn body

Whats with the Mark III Jake? I've never heard anything bad about them? I was thinking of upgrading to that early next year for the 3" screen, better interface and slightly more megs.
Yeah the 7D is really nice. What kind of things do you shoot? I'd like to invest in some more lenses really..only got 3 at the moment, and only the 17-40 is alright for general photography. Other two I only use for sport

Lots of photographers I know say it's just not a sharp camera. All the getty/reuters/PA guys have switched straight to mark IV