Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:31 PM
dunk

Unhappy Brazil's Ronaldo to quit in 2011

Quote:

Ronaldo
Ronaldo is the leading goalscorer at World Cup finals

Two-time World Cup winner Ronaldo has announced he will retire from professional football at the end of next year.

The Brazilian, regarded as one of the best footballers ever, has spent most of his career in Europe but will end it with Corinthians in his homeland.

"I've already made up my mind - these will be my last two," said the striker.

Ronaldo, 33, has scored 62 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and hopes to be in squad for this summer's World Cup.

The striker, who is the all-time leading World Cup finals scorer with 15 goals, said there was "still a possibility" of a call-up for the South Africa tournament - despite not playing for Brazil, which will host the 2014 competition, since 2006.

"But for 2014 it's impossible - time goes by for everyone," he added.

I'll give my best and I'm hoping to have some fun and win many significant titles

Ronaldo

Ronaldo extended his contract with Corinthians on Monday and said of his remaining time at the club: "I'll give my best and I'm hoping to have some fun and win many significant titles."

It will bring an end to his 17-year-career, during which time the Brazilian formed part of the World Cup winning teams of 1994 and 2002.

The striker also played in the 1998 World Cup final, when Brazil were beaten by France.

The match became famous as Ronaldo's name was mysteriously missing from the team sheet, but reappeared shortly before the kick-off and he gave an under-par performance.

It subsequently emerged that he had suffered a convulsion but had been cleared to play in the match in Paris.

The striker, who began his career with Cruzeiro in his home country, won the Fifa Player of the Year and the Ballon D'or awards in 1997 and 2002, also being handed the former prize in 1996.

He moved to PSV Eindhoven while still a teenager, scoring 42 goals in 45 matches.

The striker soon came to the attention of Sir Bobby Robson's Barcelona, whom he joined in 1996, scoring 34 goals in 37 league matches.

606: DEBATE
How badly will world football miss a player like Ronaldo?

But he only stayed at the Nou Camp for a season, switching to Inter Milan for a then-record fee of £18m, helping the Italian side win the Uefa Cup during his five years with the club.

However, it was at Inter that he suffered the first of a series of debilitating knee injuries that would affect the rest of his career.

His next club was Real Madrid, who won the Primera Division crown during his first season at the Bernabeu.

He returned to Italy in 2007 with AC Milan but made 20 only league appearances, before later joining Corinthians.

As to his future after he hangs up his boots, Ronaldo's agent Fabiano Farah said: "Ronaldo will become a representative of Corinthians abroad.

"We will combine his name and the importance it has with the strength of the club."
Had to happen, I suppose. Sad all the same.

Absolutely phenomenal player. Damn those knee injuries, imagine how many goals he would've scored

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:37 PM
magic_cantona

Default Re: Brazil's Ronaldo to quit in 2011

His season at Barca was totally amazing.

Unstoppable.

And I'll always remember his standing ovation at OT.Alright, Barthez was shite but he was still awesome then.Every £#%&!er just got up and knew they were applauding a legend.One of my fave moments at Old Trafford.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:39 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
His season at Barca was totally amazing.

Unstoppable.

And I'll always remember his standing ovation at OT.Alright, Barthez was shite but he was still awesome then.Every £#%&!er just got up and knew they were applauding a legend.One of my fave moments at Old Trafford.
I was there.

BGR.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:39 PM
borsuk

el fenomeno

best no 9 i've ever seen

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

el fenomeno

best no 9 i've ever seen
Word.

The best.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Pop

Fat bastard

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:43 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
I was there.

BGR.
Oh yeah?

Well I was sat 4 seats away from Denis Irwin.Shook hands with him and everything.

+1.3m TopRed points for me.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:44 PM
believe

Quote:
Oh yeah?

Well I was sat 4 seats away from Denis Irwin.Shook hands with him and everything.

+1.3m TopRed points for me.
He probably thought he was having his photo taken for Madame Tussauds.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:49 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:49 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Agreed.

The handsome @#%&!.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:52 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
I didn't. Possibly the most embarrasing moment in Old Traffords history. Scouse as £#%&!. Ooooh look at us we apprciate good football played by someone else. Get to £#%&!.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:53 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I didn't. Possibly the most embarrasing moment in Old Traffords history. Scouse as £#%&!. Ooooh look at us we apprciate good football played by someone else. Get to £#%&!.
I think we made up for it when McMananananananamamaman went off.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:53 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up Re: Brazil's Ronaldo to quit in 2011

Quote:
wordingtons

£#%&! the fat buck toothed @#%&!....he was only shooting at that useless @#%&! Barthez I'dd have got a hat-trick that night

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Pop

Talking Re: Brazil's Ronaldo to quit in 2011

Quote:
Good man. He should have been pelted, the £#%&!ing cheeky @#%&!. Should have turned the Real team bus over after the match too with all the player in it, like in The Simpsons.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:54 PM
dunk

Still got it

Probably still a damn sight quicker than Berbs too

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:55 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Oh, ok then.

But there was obviously 60,000+ United fans that disagree with that opinion.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:56 PM
koppas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
wordingtons

£#%&! the fat buck toothed @#%&!....he was only shooting at that useless @#%&! Barthez I'dd have got a hat-trick that night
Top red alert.

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:58 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Top red alert.
vote Big Mike

Unread 22-02-2010, 09:59 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Top red alert.
The top red ometer is set to 'Stellar!'.

It's literally smoking.

Unread 22-02-2010, 10:00 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Oh, ok then.

But there was obviously 60,000+ United fans that disagree with that opinion.
The greatest penalty of evildoing - namely, to grow into the likeness of bad men. - Plato
Closed Thread