United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-07-2009, 06:51 AM
borsuk

Football so, what are the pluses and minuses from pre-season?

nani's form has to be the biggest plus for me. valencia has been great, but i expected that, tbh. nani, on the other hand, seems to be really ready to step it up this season, different attitude to him. early days, but fingers crossed.

biggest minus apart from yet more defensive injuries is that foster doesn't seem to be really pushing on. again, very early days but still making mistakes and not really looking like he's a no.1 being held back. put it this way, if vds retired tomorrow we'd need to get someone else in, i think.

quite pleased not to have seen owen and rooney together much (at all). it suggests that owen will be a replacement for rooney and that we might have a clear and settled front partnership (berbs ahead of rooney) which will be allowed to grow.

Unread 31-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Grimson

I agree with all that. If Foster doesn't push on, it will just mean an established keeper will have to come in next summer.

Unread 31-07-2009, 07:08 AM
SilverSurfer

That Fergie seems to have realised that playing Berbatov deep isn't going to get the best use out of him.

Nani's attitude and Fabio putting in some good displays. Overall though, a bit difficult to draw conclusions from the last two days. Going into games having just stepped off the plane from China must be hard work.

Unread 31-07-2009, 07:46 AM
razzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
nani's form has to be the biggest plus for me. valencia has been great, but i expected that, tbh. nani, on the other hand, seems to be really ready to step it up this season, different attitude to him. early days, but fingers crossed.

biggest minus apart from yet more defensive injuries is that foster doesn't seem to be really pushing on. again, very early days but still making mistakes and not really looking like he's a no.1 being held back. put it this way, if vds retired tomorrow we'd need to get someone else in, i think.

quite pleased not to have seen owen and rooney together much (at all). it suggests that owen will be a replacement for rooney and that we might have a clear and settled front partnership (berbs ahead of rooney) which will be allowed to grow.

Presume you mean that owen will replace rooney from the bench, as opposed to in the team?

and that berbatov will play ahead of rooney on the pitch as opposed to getting the nod ahead of him, to play with owen?

Unread 31-07-2009, 07:54 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle
Presume you mean that owen will replace rooney from the bench, as opposed to in the team?

and that berbatov will play ahead of rooney on the pitch as opposed to getting the nod ahead of him, to play with owen?
yes

Unread 31-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Whalefish

Said before I think Utd will sign a new keeper sooner rather than later. Christ knows who though. The Russian at CSKA? Diego Lopez?

Anyway, only seen bits and bobs of the pre-season tour. Biggest thing for me is still the lack of top quality in midfield - or perhaps the right sort of options? There's bodies there but I think we're missing something.

I do think we need another attacker, of sorts, too. All well and good signing these players for the future but it's a lot to ask of Diouf, the other Serb (when they arrive), and Obertan (when he's fit) to make a significant contribution this season.

So - in short - I agree with Marlo's post yesterday.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Mr_Ed

Having seen some of the games I feel that we'll struggle to be as fluid as we once were so hope that Berbles/Owen/Wazza find good form and start banging the goals in...

We have lost a world class player who can turn those games where we struggle to score. Sure he was a diving, preening, attention seeker - but a bloody good one.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Whalefish

I think we need to get past the 'lost Ronaldo' stuff tbh. A player wanted to leave, and left. It's a void that'll take a few seasons to get over I suspect but in the meantime crack on regardless.

It'd be nice to see a couple more new faces tbh.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Redordead

agree with alot of above,

Tosic also looked good,

Hate to say it but Scholes form worries me- almost rather he called it a day and we blooded youngsters...Giggs still has a role for me especially off the bench.

Midfield will be our weakness this year i feel and Carricks preseason doesnt inspire.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:18 AM
magic_cantona

I'm liking the form of Nani, even though he's written off by some who don't seem to grasp the concept of being a 'bit-part' player and how that affects some players.

Valencia, as expected, has looked superb.The defence looks solid again.Anderson has looked good, Owen has too.Berbs is showing that he's a class act.Rooney looks awesome.

Agree with the comments about the midfield though.I'd be happy as Larry to bring in a Moutinho or even Modric type player.Someone with a little bit of genius when games are tight.Scholes might be able to do it on the odd occasion but we can't rely on him to be consistant anymore.£#%&! knows where we'd be thing of playing Ribery (The Sun) but I really don't think it's another winger that's needed.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:24 AM
red @rmy

Sorry but Nani is £#%&!ing garbage, never good enough for United.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Whalefish

Hernanes at Sao Paulo would be well worth the money if Fergie could spend a bit more.

No idea in terms of an attacker.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:27 AM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yes
But are you sure thats what you meant, Rooney on the bench while owen starts is logic surely

Agree with all you say, the Foster thing is becoming an issue, i was his biggest fan and was sure he was ours and Englands future No 1 but like you say he is still looking ropey, hope he sorts it out

Nani done very well, i thought as usual we looked understrength and lacking when Rooney was not on the pitch but in general a good pre season.

man who has done best and looked a different player to me, all be it against less skilled teams is Berbs, looked class imo, hope he brings the form into the season.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:34 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Sorry but Nani is £#%&!ing garbage, never good enough for United.
So how do you think he's done this pre-season?

Bobbins Moore?

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:40 AM
dunk

Minuses - Too much travelling, really. Carrick seems to being set up as this seasons scapegoat by most, not happy with that. The lack of depth and options in the centre of midfield. The home kit I still hate it.

Pluses - Fabio, Nani, Macheda, Cathcart, Tosic and Gibson have all been impressive enough to suggest they can push on this season. Owen/Berbatov look like a partnership blossoming.

My only critique of the squad is the issues with CM. Scholes is hanging on for dear life and Hargreaves has the farmer stood next to him loading the shotgun. Not enough there in just Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson and Giggs, for me. I've thought the midfield was still a bit weak since '07, it's getting weaker.

I can live with the forward line, Macheda and Welbeck need the opportunity to push on, Obertan too, but there is nothing of their calibre coming through in CM, unless Matt James is going to be given a go.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:40 AM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
So how do you think he's done this pre-season?

Bobbins Moore?
Average tbh, he was bobbins last season, he's improved in pre season, he's just plain shit now.

Unread 31-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Whalefish

The only game I saw Macheda start in was the Boca match and I thought he was awful. Bad day at the office I suspect. I'm not expecting much from him this season which is why I still think it's a risk having him as 4th choice or one of the striking options.

Think Wellbeck will make far more of an impression given the chance.

Unread 31-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
The only game I saw Macheda start in was the Boca match and I thought he was awful. Bad day at the office I suspect. I'm not expecting much from him this season which is why I still think it's a risk having him as 4th choice or one of the striking options.

deffo. he looked very sharp in the far east. his physical presence at that age is astonishing.

Unread 31-07-2009, 09:03 AM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

Agreed.

Unread 31-07-2009, 09:11 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Average tbh, he was bobbins last season, he's improved in pre season, he's just plain shit now.
Nani frustrated the £#%&! out of me last night. Chance after chance he had to whip thew ball in the box but he decided to try and beat his man again.

He's improved a lot but he still aint United for my liking.

Edit: It was only a pre-season game and he wasn't shit but not good either. He did do a few decent things.
Closed Thread