United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Sloppy

Default I never see Utd scarves in Manchester... City are the real club of the people

NIGEL DE JONG has wound up Manchester United supporters by claiming Manchester City are the real club of the people.

De Jong claims most football fans in Manchester are City fans.
It is an age-old jibe aimed at Old Trafford that they have more followers down south than in their own locality, something they refute.
But City’s Dutch midfielder De Jong has turned up the heat ahead of tomorrow’s derby by claiming it is true.
He said: “You can see that in the city, a lot of local fans, more blue fans than red fans.
“If I take a cab, the driver is always a City fan.
“If I go to the shopping centre, all I see are City shirts. There are so many City fans. I was astonished when I first arrived because everyone was a blue fan.
“And I was like, ‘How does that work? United are the biggest club in the world, aren’t they?’
“People would explain to me, ‘That’s just a global thing, the real workers’ club is Manchester City’. And it’s true, it’s a working club.
“The people in Manchester can relate to this club because they are working people.
“They are very proud of it. That’s why Manchester City is so big locally, not worldwide, but definitely locally.”
While United might be the bigger club, De Jong is excited at the prospect of catching up — as the richest club in the world have big plans under Sheikh Mansour.
De Jong, 24, said: “I like the idea of the adventures we could have at City.
“We’re in a development phase. That’s why I had a really good feeling when City made contact.
“I knew the club from television, it’s a really big, local club. You can see it is a big club and I like that. But I also like the idea behind Manchester City that you need patience. The expectations are high now but it is going to take time.”
Having his feet on the ground is natural to De Jong, who believes he would be dead without the strength of character which got him out of a tough Amsterdam council estate.
He saw friends die from a life on the street while he chose a different path — football and his education.

And he had to help raise the family when his father walked out when he was just a teenager.
De Jong said: “I didn’t have a lot growing up. Plus I had to be mature.
“You have to realise football is not for life. You can’t go on to 50. Football is 10 years and then it’s finished. You have to enjoy every moment and I try to as I’ve seen a lot of young guys die.”
The ex-Ajax star started a luxury car business in Hamburg, where he played before joining City in January.
He revealed: “I’ve had it now for 18 months and it’s going very well. It’s an investment for myself. It’s import, export, classic cars, luxury cars, it depends what the customer needs.”
The customers at Manchester City have enjoyed what they have seen from De Jong so far.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2420016.ece

Unread 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Sloppy

It gets better.

We'll stop United winning the title - next year

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2419699.ece

Unread 09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
carlosartorial

Pretty much standard fare thats been spouted by every new signing the divs have made over the last 20 years. Im sure thier press officer briefs them on this nonsense pre-interview...and to be fair it does have the desired effect. They lap it up whereas we quietly seethe.

Its how come they became known as 'the liars'.

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM
otbarney

I'd take everything he says with a pinch of salt, he didn't use the word MASSIVE once!

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
[b]
He said: “You can see that in the city, a lot of local fans, more blue fans than red fans.
]
well then why don't you have a word and get them to turn up to the ground, Nigel? You lying @#%&!.

Greater manchester has a population of about 2.5 million. Eastlands hold about 40,000, so why can't they fill it Nige?

Could it possibly be because your reading from the Big Blue Book of Bullshit?

I thinks so.

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
the Big Blue Book of Bullshit?

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:10 PM
borsuk

he's a life-long city fan as well, i'll bet, brought up on the great names like franny bell, colin allison and malcom lee.

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he's a life-long city fan as well, i'll bet, brought up on the great names like franny bell, colin allison and malcom lee.
and Denis Doyle and Glyn Summerbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Fat Al

I love the hypocrisy of the article espousing this 'fact' that they are the 'workers' club, yet bragging about being the richest club in the world.

Sparky***

also, i think you have to take into account that most united fans (grown men) don't walk around everyday in football shirts like pikeys.

erictheking7

"Nigel" :gayfight:

denis lawless

Thumbs down

ive havent taken any notice of anything said by city managers/players/fans for a long long loooooong time

its was usually total %@#$&!s anyway.......so i dont imagine to be missing much

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM
irk

their owners brother has recently shown their kinds affinity for the little people hasn't he?

still at least he doesn't force them to watch city - that would be barbaric.

i saw three city shirts at rochdale b and q today. motwyw.

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
NIGEL DE JONG has wound up Manchester United supporters by claiming Manchester City are the real club of the people.

De Jong claims most football fans in Manchester are City fans.
It is an age-old jibe aimed at Old Trafford that they have more followers down south than in their own locality, something they refute.
But City’s Dutch midfielder De Jong has turned up the heat ahead of tomorrow’s derby by claiming it is true.
“If I take a cab, the driver is always a City fan.
“If I go to the shopping centre, all I see are City shirts. There are so many City fans. I was astonished when I first arrived because everyone was a blue fan.
“And I was like, ‘How does that work? United are the biggest club in the world, aren’t they?’
“People would explain to me, ‘That’s just a global thing, the real workers’ club is Manchester City’. And it’s true, it’s a working club.
“The people in Manchester can relate to this club because they are working people.
“They are very proud of it. That’s why Manchester City is so big locally, not worldwide, but definitely locally.”
While United might be the bigger club, De Jong is excited at the prospect of catching up — as the richest club in the world have big plans under Sheikh Mansour.
De Jong, 24, said: “I like the idea of the adventures we could have at City.
“We’re in a development phase. That’s why I had a really good feeling when City made contact.
“I knew the club from television, it’s a really big, local club. You can see it is a big club and I like that. But I also like the idea behind Manchester City that you need patience. The expectations are high now but it is going to take time.”
Having his feet on the ground is natural to De Jong, who believes he would be dead without the strength of character which got him out of a tough Amsterdam council estate.
He saw friends die from a life on the street while he chose a different path — football and his education.

And he had to help raise the family when his father walked out when he was just a teenager.
De Jong said: “I didn’t have a lot growing up. Plus I had to be mature.
“You have to realise football is not for life. You can’t go on to 50. Football is 10 years and then it’s finished. You have to enjoy every moment and I try to as I’ve seen a lot of young guys die.”
The ex-Ajax star started a luxury car business in Hamburg, where he played before joining City in January.
He revealed: “I’ve had it now for 18 months and it’s going very well. It’s an investment for myself. It’s import, export, classic cars, luxury cars, it depends what the customer needs.”
The customers at Manchester City have enjoyed what they have seen from De Jong so far.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2420016.ece

I wonder if any of these players actually believe the shit they are told to wheel out.

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Gerard Wiekens and Robert Taylor

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM
History

Nigel de jong he told a lie or two
the town of manchester the colour being blue
all of the these lies must be going to his head
because in the town of manchester the colour is red

tra la la la we all hate city...

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM
wonky no

Quote:
I think you have to delve deeper into the reasons behind why City are the most loved club in Manchester by Mancunians. 90% of the city is ghetto where as all the suburbs have quite a bit of money. Even though the city was the hub of the industrial revolution the people who made up that cog were teated as slaves, it's the same today except the majority of the people are on the dole.

This would explain why the The City Of Manchester Stadium is rarely full yet the city is bustling with the colours of Manchester City worn by the people who live there. United attract people from the more wealthier suburbs and from other prosperous areas throughout the world. Old Trafford is always more than full but you will notice that it is made up of Irish, Japanese, Chinese and Norwegian supporters.

The reason why Maine Rd and the more modern stadium that City now call home is far more intimidating is down to the vociferous, passionate local support. City fans have been admired for their partizan style and humourous, working class wit for many many years where as the more 'clappy' expectant and muted diverse 'out of town' support create a more family and corporate mood at the self dubbed 'Theatre of Dreams' over on the Salford border at United.

Unread 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Luffy

most of the time when I meet someone new and he says he's a city fan, he always admits it in a sheepish way. like they're coming clean about something they didn't want to bring up. like he's thinking

'oh here it goes, am I gonna get bullied about this?'

or 'yeh yeh I'm a city fan cos my family are blues and I was raised this way'

or 'yeh I'm a blue and I know we're shit'

whereas most utd fans are like 'only one answer isnt there?'

Unread 09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Whalefish

The funny things is, apart from Robinho and perhaps Ireland, most of the current squad could be replaced with better players if the club really decides to spend, spend, spend.

Unread 09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
The funny things is, apart from Robinho and perhaps Ireland, most of the current squad could be replaced with better players if the club really decides to spend, spend, spend.
also true of the three they brought in in the window. if they're serious about a top four place (arf) then bellamy and de jong are nowhere near good enough. i'd have serious doubts about given as well.
Closed Thread