United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:05 PM
borsuk

Question assistant manager next season

i think we all agree that rene and mickey are pretty unlikely to be taking over after fergie so would it make sense to get a possible successor in to work alongside the great man before taking over? i can see quite a lot of advantages tbh - less speculation, time to fit in with the staff, time to learn and adapt, time to assess the current staff...

of course, we might just bring in some big name from outside with no connection but that strikes me as unlikely given the unique stability we've had and the tremendous structure we have in place. it seems much more likely we'll appoint someone and transition as seamlessly as possible - handing over rather than just starting over, as it were. if so, and if fergie has, say two years after this one - maybe two at the helm, maybe slowly withdrawing - who would you like to see come in?

let me throw some names at you... what would you say to these coming in and taking over in anything from one to three years, depending on the experience they have...

in no particular order

martin o'neill
david moyes
ole
roberto martinez
steve bruce
darren ferguson
laurent blanc
steve clark
luciano spalletti

i've not included: carlos queiroz (because i think he's burnt his bridges and has been pretty much exposed as a poor option), fabio capello (because he's too old) or eric cantona (because we're not £#%&!ing newcastle).

comments on any of the above?

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:06 PM
red @rmy

Gary Neville

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:07 PM
sullers

not especially, although I think it's very arrogant to assume MON, Bruce and Moyles would leave their posts as managers to become an assistant, unless it's with the premise of handing over in a year or so - which I don't think happens often.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:10 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

I'd love Larry White but I think He's pretty much ruled himself out, In which case there's only one man for the job. [SIZE="5"]BRING BACK KIDDO

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:11 PM
waynes ear's

Cantona

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:12 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
not especially, although I think it's very arrogant to assume MON, Bruce and Moyles would leave their posts as managers to become an assistant, unless it's with the premise of handing over in a year or so - which I don't think happens often.
i don't think a situation like this happens very often at all, if ever. usually a manager leaves because he's no longer successful enough. and the united job is a unique one in any case.

there are many ways to structure it: director of football, moving upstairs etc. the busby precedent is a worry but i think fergie and gill are well aware of that danger.

i'll be very surprised if fergie steps down and they bring in somebody completely from outside.

personally i would love to see ole move up or larry or roberto martinez come in alongside fergie for two or three years with a view to taking over. young, intelligent and ambitious coaches who won't be too set in their ways but will bring some fresh ideas.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:13 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
Absolutely right, if they are going to bring a 'manager in waiting' then Ferguson may as well go in the summer.

What most of the 'experts' on here don't seem to understand that the job of assistant manager at a club like United is not like assistant manager in at Tesco.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Ether

I don't like it. Whoever the next manager is going to be has to be their own man. I don't want them trying to copy Fergie too much, because it just won't work. Of course they should seek advice from him, but I would hope they have their own ideas about managing a football side fully developed by now

And I'd have to wonder if a supposed top-class manager, who would agree to leave their current job and be an 'apprentice' for two years, actually has the personality, self-belief and ambition required of a Manchester United manager.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Ginners

zero chance of a current premiership manager leaving to be an assistant.

i would take moyes/o'neil as the next utd manager though

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:16 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
AWhat most of the 'experts' on here don't seem to understand that the job of assistant manager at a club like United is not like assistant manager in at Tesco.
really? ta for clearing that up

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Honestly

think Moyes or MON would be the best bet.

Both have good records of bringing on young players - and both are proven in the PL.

Let's face it - SAF is/was the best manager, a one-off. We have to accept that we're not goign to just easily find another one of him.

Personally, a MON/Ole partnership would probably be the best option for me.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:18 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
I don't like it. Whoever the next manager is going to be has to be their own man. I don't want them trying to copy Fergie too much, because it just won't work. Of course they should seek advice from him, but I would hope they have their own ideas about managing a football side fully developed by now

And I'd have to wonder if a supposed top-class manager, who would agree to leave their current job and be an 'apprentice' for two years, actually has the personality, self-belief and ambition required of a Manchester United manager.
Good point, well made.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Serenity Now

Michael Laudrup? Just got fired at Spartak...

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Hasn't he been linked with the post before?

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Albert Tatlock

Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:36 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
i think the worst thing that could happen is someone comes in and tries to prove he's 'his own man' by trying to change everything.

i'm not so much worried about tactical changes as someone bringing in a raft of new coaching staff and drastically altering stuff like training and diet, the general day to day running of the club. could easily breed resentment in the players.

that's why i think mourinho will be such a bad choice.

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:37 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
six coaches in six years

the russian newcastle

edit
laudrup has done well before though, hasn't he? not a bad shout...

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:38 PM
elephantstone

Roy Keane has a job lined up in management/coaching that he starts in the next few weeks wouldnt say where maybe its with Fergal?

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

yeah I think the same as the esteemed poster Ether. it needs to be someone with a pretty distinct (and attractive) idea of how he wants to play as well.

there are a lot of faces I'd love to see if Darren Ferguson was announced as the next boss though

Unread 21-04-2009, 03:39 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Roy Keane has a job lined up in management/coaching that he starts in the next few weeks wouldnt say where maybe its with Fergal?
probably bring toilet sniffer out of retirement, that
Closed Thread