United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Smeggs

Question European Super League

#############Football Thread Alert#################

Gabrielle Marcotti wrote about it in the Game today and it got me thinkin as to how i'd feel about it and whether i thought it was ever going to happen.

I think it COULD happen but the strength of the respective leagues would prove too strong in opposition especially in boom times for the game so it would perhaps take a lull to let it gather pace. I'll prob be pipe and slippers by then so can't see it making a diff to my match going cos i will have long given up i assume.

Any club entering would lose that tribal week to week rivalry and that would be a big loss.

Thoughts Gents?

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:10 PM
neworder

It would be like the NFL

Franchising, no tribalism (as you said), soulless to a point and a VERY short regular season followed by an NFL like playoff/superbowl system

No thanks

Works with American Football but not Football

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:12 PM
The Watcher

I'd pack it all in. It doesn't interest my in the slightest.

Fuck knows what I'd do without United though

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

main thought is that it doesn't have to replace domestic competition

there's already 13 games to play in the CL as an automatic qualifier

squad sizes would be one of the main concerns. wages are already astronomical, and talks are already well down the line as far as restrictions on non-nationals and academy level transfers go.

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:15 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
#############Football Thread Alert#################

Gabrielle Marcotti wrote about it in the Game today and it got me thinkin as to how i'd feel about it and whether i thought it was ever going to happen.

I think it COULD happen but the strength of the respective leagues would prove too strong in opposition especially in boom times for the game so it would perhaps take a lull to let it gather pace. I'll prob be pipe and slippers by then so can't see it making a diff to my match going cos i will have long given up i assume.

Any club entering would lose that tribal week to week rivalry and that would be a big loss.

Thoughts Gents?
And that isn't happening all ready?

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Sparky***

No interest in it at all if it is going to replace domestic football.

They've already got their 'european super league' with The Champions League.

The only way a European super league would work is if everybody cut their top division down to say, 15 teams and then play the european league games midweek.

Fucking stupid idea anyway. If you have a european super league with about 12 teams in it, what's the incentive for those finishing 4th or 3rd? What are you going to qualify for? The world super league? fucking dumb.

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
And that isn't happening all ready?
yes, but to much more exaggerated extent. basically a sitaution where we would play only 3/4 english teams a season and then maybe domestic cups?

my gut feeling is that it won't happen but they will just look to keep the CL format evolving to incentivise the G14 clubs to stick with it and not even comprehend leaving to form said superleague.

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
yes, but to much more exaggerated extent. basically a sitaution where we would play only 3/4 english teams a season and then maybe domestic cups?

my gut feeling is that it won't happen but they will just look to keep the CL format evolving to incentivise the G14 clubs to stick with it and not even comprehend leaving to form said superleague.
i thought the g14 was disbanded now though?

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:55 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
Yep, now the G50 or something.

Unread 30-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
it is, should have said those type of clubs.

i'm sure i read it was replaced by a similar 'spectre' style collective.
Closed Thread