United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Sparky***

Default Johnny Evans Young Player of the year?

I can't think of any others who have performed as well as him.

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Rhodzy

Ashley Young but Jonny should at least be in the top 6.

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
bobbledinho

That's a fair shout. What is the criteria? If Fabregas in anyway qualifies he'll get it. Massive injury or not.

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
That's a fair shout. What is the criteria? If Fabregas in anyway qualifies he'll get it. Massive injury or not.
I can't think of any other young player who has performed as well as him, considering the level he's playing at.

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Firswood Red

Ashley Young, his mate at Villa will also be in with a shout.

Evans could well be top 3

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
dontdopeas84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
Ashley Young, his mate at Villa will also be in with a shout.

Evans could well be top 3
Agbonlahor ??

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Ginners

id put rafael ahead of evans tbh

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
stay off the pcp then

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdopeas84
Agbonlahor ??

couldn't be arsed googling the correct spelling

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Ginners

how old is stephen ireland? he has to be up there

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Hasn't young player of the year got to have played constantly rather than stepped in when injuries happen and had a few good games?

I mean Evans has looked great but he hasn't exactly "starred" has he, he has filled in for rests to Rio and Nemanja or when one is banned. Anyone who thinks that he should get it insted of Young really needs to doff their red tinted specs.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
magic_cantona

I'd say Agbonlahor or Young will get it.

Evans will win plenty of awards in the coming years though.Not to mention trophies.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
RedMenace

Someone on here reckoned Young was overage the last time this came up. I can't be arsed looking up his date of birth but isn't it 23 and under?.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
magic_cantona

Oh, and surely an Arsenal player will win this.

For the Carling Cup performance against, I forget now, but it was amazing.Vela maybe or the other guy, the embryo.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
RedMenace

Personally I'd give it to Lucas, there's not many who have had such an impact on their side's performances this season.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Personally I'd give it to Lucas, there's not many who have had such an impact on their side's performances this season.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
borsuk

jonny evans -

evans has made over 25 first team appearances this season and has played at a much higher level than young - stepping into the best defence in the world in the most prestigious competition in the world against the likes of inter milan in the san siro, playing a crucial part in a record-breaking run of clean sheets, becoming a first-team regular at international level. i don't think there's anyone else in the country who has been nearly as impressive as evans this season. young is very talented and is having a great season but he's also had his fair share of poor games - no surprise for a young lad, of course - while evans has been unbelievably consistent. it's no exaggeration to say that we have not missed rio or nemanja one bit when he has come in and, given the quality they represent, that is a hell of an achievement.

not red-tinted specs, just a fair assessment imo. i think evans has been magnificent this year. what more could he do?

Unread 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
pc6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
jonny evans -

evans has made over 25 first team appearances this season and has played at a much higher level than young - stepping into the best defence in the world in the most prestigious competition in the world against the likes of inter milan in the san siro, playing a crucial part in a record-breaking run of clean sheets, becoming a first-team regular at international level. i don't think there's anyone else in the country who has been nearly as impressive as evans this season. young is very talented and is having a great season but he's also had his fair share of poor games - no surprise for a young lad, of course - while evans has been unbelievably consistent. it's no exaggeration to say that we have not missed rio or nemanja one bit when he has come in and, given the quality they represent, that is a hell of an achievement.

not red-tinted specs, just a fair assessment imo. i think evans has been magnificent this year. what more could he do?
his goalscoring record is shit

Unread 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
jonny evans -

Of that over 25 appearences how many have been in the league? 7 or 8? He is not a first team player and whilst he has been very impressive in stepping up to the plate in a couple of big games he has been a bit part player up until the last couple of weeks, picked for games against inferior opposition in cup games to build his experience.

And being an international regular isn't really an accolade when you play for an inferior country is it? Theo Whitmore used to miss a lot of games fot Hull when they were back in the divison 4 because he was off playing internationls but nobody used that as a reason why he should have been young player of the year.

Evans has looked really good and come on as well as any of us could have hoped but he has but he has not had the impact on the team that Young has, has not affected the fortunes of the club in the same way that Young has and in reality whilst he is up there in the top 5 young performers this year he just hasn't done as much as young has. Maybe if he played for a lesser team and had given the performances we have seen week in and week out then he would be a shoe in but I just don't think he's had enough time on the field and that some people are throwing their weight behind this idea more for the colour of his shirt than for the cut of his gib.
Closed Thread