United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Mr_Ed

Football In the 15 years of our 'dominance'

Who do you think is the best team we've been up against over the course of a season?

Realistically there was only Blackburn 95, Arsenal 98, 02 or 04 and the Chelsea team of 04/05 or 05/06 under Jose. There was of course a fleeting Geordie rivalry and that game in the beginning of 96 when we got battered at their place but won thanks to Eric.

Personally I think the 98/99 Arsenal were one of the hardest to beat in a period where we didn't beat them for a season or two and the 'invincibles' were there of course but we weren't really good enough to challenge back in 04, which was the start of our 'transition'.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:03 AM
keano's love

I feel mourinho's 04/05 chelsea would have won against last seasons united or before last season's united.

I think the departure/drop in form of robben and arrival of shevachenko seriously screwed them up.

Mourinho's 04/05 team would be streets ahead if they were playing in this years league. They were too ruthless and effecient.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:03 AM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Who do you think is the best team we've been up against over the course of a season?

Realistically there was only Blackburn 95, Arsenal 98, 02 or 04 and the Chelsea team of 04/05 or 05/06 under Jose. There was of course a fleeting Geordie rivalry and that game in the beginning of 06 when we got battered at their place but won thanks to Eric.

Personally I think the 98/99 Arsenal were one of the hardest to beat in a period where we didn't beat them for a season or two and the 'invincibles' were there of course but we weren't really good enough to challenge back in 04, which was the start of our 'transition'.
I'd go with that 1st Wenger team as well. But we did beat them - the game at Highbury when Keano scored 2 and the semi replay (still the greatest game of football I've ever seen) spring to mind. At that time Anelka looked as if he would go on to become a truly great player. Badly advised - should never have left Arsenal - glad he did though.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:

Realistically there was only Blackburn 95, Arsenal 98, 02 or 04 and the Chelsea team of 04/05 or 05/06 under Jose. There was of course a fleeting Geordie rivalry and that game in the beginning of 06 when we got battered at their place but won thanks to Eric.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:05 AM
keano's love

for the very first time in a long long time I felt we didn't have any chance of winning the match/league against mourinho's 04/05 or 05/06 teams.

arsenal's invincible team were £#%&! compared to other teams you have listed. they were bottlers and helped by our own ineptitude and a very weak league.

They should have lost twice in the early part of the season only for horse face to £#%&! up the penalty and pires diving to get the penalty against portsmouth. @#%&!s.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Pop

Arsenal 97-98 were fantastic in the second half of that season. So tough in 98-99 too despite the eventual outcome of the season.

Some great, great years when it was just them and us.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:11 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
for the very first time in a long long time I felt we didn't have any chance of winning the match/league against mourinho's 04/05 or 05/06 teams.

arsenal's invincible team were £#%&! compared to other teams you have listed. they were bottlers and helped by our own ineptitude and a very weak league.

They should have lost twice in the early part of the season only for horse face to £#%&! up the penalty and pires diving to get the penalty against portsmouth. @#%&!s.
you cant go back further than 2003 can you?

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Ginners

mourihno's 04/05 and 05/06 teams were incredible.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:14 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
i honestly love you.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:17 AM
wee man

Quote:
read the bit he bolded in your post

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
I would have said the same. Still suprised they didn't win the European Cup.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I would have said the same. Still suprised they didn't win the European Cup.
very unfortunate to collide with a european focused liverpool side otherwise they would have walked it

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:28 AM
dodger

Villa '93

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:37 AM
wiganste

Arsenal between 97 & 99 were as good as it got in terms of pushing us. They were a fantastic team.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:39 AM
waynes ear's

city

oh wait

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:41 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Arsenal between 97 & 99 were as good as it got in terms of pushing us. They were a fantastic team.
Yep, simply because they played with a swagger as well, tough pick between them and Mourinho's Chelsea though, a £#%&!ing machine they were.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:43 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yep, simply because they played with a swagger as well, tough pick between them and Mourinho's Chelsea though, a £#%&!ing machine they were.
Chelsea were a machine. But in terms of pure entertainment, nothing came close to the Utd/Arsenal battles.
Both teams played football the way it should be played. Chelsea were a machine, just like the Liverpool title winning sides (minus the back passes)

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:43 AM
keano's love

Quote:
very unfortunate to collide with a european focused liverpool side otherwise they would have walked it
and a £#%&!ing liverpool side who didn't attack for 170 mins of that leg.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:45 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
you cant go back further than 2003 can you?
can. but 99-03 don't feel there were any noteworthy teams. very poor league at that time. it was us. IF we weren't good enough for some reason ( not hungry enough etc ) arsenal would win it. thats it.

I don't think we would have won the european cup and had a season like last if it wasn't for mourinho's chelsea. it gave fergie a new challenge.

And if it wasn't for that @#%&! ref in the portsmouth match, we would have done the treble.

Unread 15-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Bunker Buster

The History books will show.............Manchester City 08/09
Closed Thread