United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmk
Anyone who's played football knows what a job Carrick does, he keeps the game flowing with one touch passes.he doesnt need time on the ball. Has good awareness as to who's around him and has good positional play.He lets Scholes get on with what he does best and he's not the finished article yet. he has more potential than mikel does imo.

Good lad.

Unread 26-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Anyone who's played football knows what a job Carrick does, he keeps the game flowing with one touch passes.he doesnt need time on the ball. Has good awareness as to who's around him and has good positional play.He lets Scholes get on with what he does best and he's not the finished article yet. he has more potential than mikel does imo.
that's just untrue. every time he's lost the ball it's because he's dithered. i think he's a good player and an unbelievable passer but he needs time to pick it on a lot of occasions

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:04 AM
khmk

I disagree Mr A, i think he's composed on the ball.
He knows whos around him and keeps things moving without faffing around and taking 3 touches on the ball.
He provides the more creative players with time and space to set up Ronnie, Giggs, Rooney, Larsson etc
He just needs to work on his confidence with shooting and runs into the box.He has everything else including good positional play.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:07 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
He knows whos around him and keeps things moving without faffing around and taking 3 touches on the ball.
He provides the more creative players with time and space to set up Ronnie, Giggs, Rooney, Larsson etc
He just needs to work on his confidence with shooting and runs into the box.He has everything else including good positional play.
Excellent stuff.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
if he never shoots again i'll be happy - it's never gone anywhere below tier 2; then again it's not what his game is about, he's a veron not a scholes.

i'm not saying he can't play a first time ball, but he does occasionally display a lack of defensive awareness around him; that is, unaware for example when someone is coming up from behind to tackle. when he picks his pass however quickly he does it it's nearly always spot on - but he does take his time to execute it and is unable to say, make those little touches and moves that scholes does to create space (admittedly, the majority of the time his positional play has already created that space - he nearly always seems to have a good 5 yards around him)

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Part 36 Offer

Default 'big' mikeA

Oh deary me.

Where do I start...

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:16 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Robben would too.
I'm afraid I laugh at the suggestion that robben is better than giggs or ronaldo. laugh.

not to mention, he looks older than giggs.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I'm afraid I laugh at the suggestion that robben is better than giggs or ronaldo. laugh.

not to mention, he looks older than giggs.

And he only has one ball.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Oh deary me.

Where do I start...
at the beginning would seem an appropriate place

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
at the beginning would seem an appropriate place

I think carrick's defensive abilities are underrated he is mainly a 'passer' of the ball,the word itself does not do him credit though the vision and accuracy involved at times are incredible

However like any player he has his downsides,he can delay on the ball too long and his running and shooting will never go down as being fantastic but at least he's not incompitent in any divisions,poor maybe but not hopeless

A top buy in my eyes at £14mil and I would quite happily pay the add ons if it means we win trophy's!

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Tropical

Default There was a moment

against Villa (the home league game, I think) when one of their defenders walloped the ball straight forward at around waist height, like a cannonball. It got as far as Carrick, about 25 yards away. He pulled it out of the air and passed it on accurately with what looked like a single, smooth and unhurried movement.

The unusual thing about that was the way it stood out as piece of play. What wasn't unusual was his skill on the ball.

I wasn't thrilled by his signing - not at that price, anyway - and I still don't think we'll win the league unless we sign the ball-winning midfielder we need. But Carrick has been understatedly good for us, and keeps getting better.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990

I think carrick's defensive abilities are underrated he is mainly a 'passer' of the ball,the word itself does not do him credit though the vision and accuracy involved at times are incredible

However like any player he has his downsides,he can delay on the ball too long and his running and shooting will never go down as being fantastic but at least he's not incompitent in any divisions,poor maybe but not hopeless

A top buy in my eyes at £14mil and I would quite happily pay the add ons if it means we win trophy's!

When was this?

And it was 13.6 million

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:36 AM
khmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
if he never shoots again i'll be happy - it's never gone anywhere below tier 2; then again it's not what his game is about, he's a veron not a scholes.

i'm not saying he can't play a first time ball, but he does occasionally display a lack of defensive awareness around him; that is, unaware for example when someone is coming up from behind to tackle. when he picks his pass however quickly he does it it's nearly always spot on - but he does take his time to execute it and is unable to say, make those little touches and moves that scholes does to create space (admittedly, the majority of the time his positional play has already created that space - he nearly always seems to have a good 5 yards around him)
His job is to lay it off for Scholes and to let him do what he does best. Instead of scholes doing the defensive work of O Pie and fletcher and trying to create at the same time.Mopping up shit that he doesnt have to do and
doing the work of 2 players noone can do.Carrick is a players player anyone who he plays with knows that he does a good job of keeping the ball moving and the midfield ticking over.He seems anonymous to everyone because he isnt a "superstar" but we see te difference when he doesnt play.Im more than happy with him.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Macca1990

Quote:
When was this?

And it was 13.6 million

Do I keep a £#%&!ing video diary?

and there have been plenty of times stop being such a stupid naive fanboy*

*This in no way undermines what I said about zelda,maybe it does but I'm too stubborn to admit it

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:41 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
against Villa (the home league game, I think) when one of their defenders walloped the ball straight forward at around waist height, like a cannonball. It got as far as Carrick, about 25 yards away. He pulled it out of the air and passed it on accurately with what looked like a single, smooth and unhurried movement.

The unusual thing about that was the way it stood out as piece of play. What wasn't unusual was his skill on the ball.

I wasn't thrilled by his signing - not at that price, anyway - and I still don't think we'll win the league unless we sign the ball-winning midfielder we need. But Carrick has been understatedly good for us, and keeps getting better.

Aye.

Carrick is a fantastic player.The slaters on here, I just cannot see where they are coming from.

Unread 27-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990
Do I keep a £#%&!ing video diary?

If you make such a sweeping statement you should atleast be able to back it up.

Take note, be it written or mental, and do not make the same mistake in future.

Unread 27-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Macca1990

Quote:
If you make such a sweeping statement you should atleast be able to back it up.

Take note, be it written or mental, and do not make the same mistake in future.
Or you could stop being such an ignorant synical @#%&!

just a suggestion like...
Closed Thread