United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Tiberian

Default Re: Good reception for Anderson

Anderson is slowly finding his way again. Had serious injury problems that have held him back, but I have been impressed by his attitude and the gradual improvements in his game.

It is also interesting how he has been used in his comeback, in attacking roles with a lot of freedom to support the forwards and try to be creative. Earlier in his Utd career he was often used in defensive roles, utilizing his physical power and pace in deep areas.

There have been moments when he has shown a good burst of acceleration with the ball, strength on it and imagination is his use of the ball. He has not put it all together yet and he will have to add a cutting edge for the role to remain his, but it is the style of play that brought him to the attention of all the big clubs around Europe.

Fergie may be looking for him to build up his physical fitness before he gives him more defensive responsibility, but I hope he continues with this attacking role, the talent is there, and the attitude seems to be right at this moment in time, the fact that Bebe is living with him could show that he is now willing and ready to take up the role of a senior player.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Anderson is slowly finding his way again. Had serious injury problems that have held him back, but I have been impressed by his attitude and the gradual improvements in his game.

It is also interesting how he has been used in his comeback, in attacking roles with a lot of freedom to support the forwards and try to be creative. Earlier in his Utd career he was often used in defensive roles, utilizing his physical power and pace in deep areas.

There have been moments when he has shown a good burst of acceleration with the ball, strength on it and imagination is his use of the ball. He has not put it all together yet and he will have to add a cutting edge for the role to remain his, but it is the style of play that brought him to the attention of all the big clubs around Europe.

Fergie may be looking for him to build up his physical fitness before he gives him more defensive responsibility, but I hope he continues with this attacking role, the talent is there, and the attitude seems to be right at this moment in time, the fact that Bebe is living with him could show that he is now willing and ready to take up the role of a senior player.
Try being the imperative word.

I hope he is ditched from this attacking role asap. With the prospect of losing Rooney, it is even more important that we get that position right. A player who doesn't threaten the opposition, isn't the answer.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Baron

Quote:
& with Rooney £#%&!ing off we'll every player that has shown potential to grow a pair & start to deliver. Big Nanners has been tremendous, Anderson needs to find the same step up now he's getting in the side & hopefully injury free. I hold out hope, but I still think it'll be another year before he's producing with any consistency to get recognition.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:57 PM
redhegemony

But what is his best position? He seems to be able to turn and accelerate away but then seems to get a bit lost or confused.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
But what is his best position? He seems to be able to turn and accelerate away but then seems to get a bit lost or confused.
He can turn and accelerate...and then he'll £#%&! up a basic pass. In fact, that is what he seems best at doing.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:59 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Up front, on the bench.

Unread 21-10-2010, 01:59 PM
shenwen

Quote:
is true. smalling is the same. one or two bursts, each followed by a 'shit I better kick the ball now'.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:06 PM
red @rmy

He's £#%&!ing garbage.

What's his strength honestly?

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Try being the imperative word.

I hope he is ditched from this attacking role asap. With the prospect of losing Rooney, it is even more important that we get that position right. A player who doesn't threaten the opposition, isn't the answer.
In the current squad if Utd play the 4-3-3 with Carrick/Scholes as the deep lying playmaker, Fletcher/Hargreaves(I know) the box to box ball winner, the third needs to bring something different. Anderson has not shown a goal threat but he has shown an ability to carry the ball and commit defenders, and is played in that role consistently he may get the feel back for releasing the ball at the right time etc. He has the right idea with what he is trying a lot of the time, just the execution has let him down. I do not think Scholes has the legs to play in this role any more, Giggs can but it may be his last season, Park is not good enough. Eikrem could be possibility if he gets stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
& with Rooney £#%&!ing off we'll every player that has shown potential to grow a pair & start to deliver. Big Nanners has been tremendous, Anderson needs to find the same step up now he's getting in the side & hopefully injury free. I hold out hope, but I still think it'll be another year before he's producing with any consistency to get recognition.
Nani should be an inspiration for every player in the squad, incredible strides made in the last year, now one of the top Wide players in the league, outstandingly productive. Recognition is slowly coming his way, some pundits bizarrely still point to a lack of end product with him, which just shows an ignorance of the games he has played.

Anderson could make that jump, Fergie has always had real hopes for him, that comment about potential and how young players can surprise is as much about him as any other players in the squad. The likes of Nani and Bale have shown how quickly a player can progress given the right circumstances.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:12 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
He's £#%&!ing garbage.

Shooting, right-foot, heading, passing.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:17 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Shooting, right-foot, heading, passing.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:
In the current squad if Utd play the 4-3-3 with Carrick/Scholes as the deep lying playmaker, Fletcher/Hargreaves(I know) the box to box ball winner, the third needs to bring something different. Anderson has not shown a goal threat but he has shown an ability to carry the ball and commit defenders, and is played in that role consistently he may get the feel back for releasing the ball at the right time etc. He has the right idea with what he is trying a lot of the time, just the execution has let him down. I do not think Scholes has the legs to play in this role any more, Giggs can but it may be his last season, Park is not good enough. Eikrem could be possibility if he gets stronger.
I'd much rather Eikrem was put into the team in this position than Anderson. He has vision that Anderson simply doesn't have, he can score goals, creative, good passer of the ball, good at set pieces...basically everything Anderson doesn't have...he does. His skill set is far more suited to the role than Anderson. If Eikrem, Giggs, or Cleverley are not deployed there, then we need to purchase someone who is. People were saying this all Summer though...

The argument for Anderson playing in an advanced role seems to be 'he can carry the ball'. That is where it starts and stops though.

'If we play him there, he might learn to release the ball at the right time'.

Come off it... I know you know a lot about football, I read your posts and they're often amongst the best on here, if not the best. But Anderson just isn't cut out for playing that role. It is one of the most important on the pitch in this kind of formation. We can't afford to play someone there who breaks down attack after attack.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Hugh Jardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
He's £#%&!ing garbage.

go on son - Im with you

We might as well play Angry Anderson - at least he's achieved something

Fatboy Anderson = Not.Good.Enough

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
I'd much rather Eikrem was put into the team in this position than Anderson. He has vision that Anderson simply doesn't have, he can score goals, creative, good passer of the ball, good at set pieces...basically everything Anderson doesn't have...he does. His skill set is far more suited to the role than Anderson. If Eikrem, Giggs, or Cleverley are not deployed there, then we need to purchase someone who is. People were saying this all Summer though...

The argument for Anderson playing in an advanced role seems to be 'he can carry the ball'. That is where it starts and stops though.

'If we play him there, he might learn to release the ball at the right time'.

Come off it... I know you know a lot about football, I read your posts and they're often amongst the best on here, if not the best. But Anderson just isn't cut out for playing that role. It is one of the most important on the pitch in this kind of formation. We can't afford to play someone there who breaks down attack after attack.
I can not argue with your summing up of what Anderson has shown us so far in his Utd career. His technique for shooting and passing has been either too inconsistent or just inadequate too often, he can keep the ball well in simple passing moves, moves it quickly, good strength and touch so is very comfortable in tight areas and never afraid of receiving it under pressure. The confusion that people have about his best role seems to be felt by the player himself, lost his instinct for the game to a degree. A positive of playing him in one set role for a period of time is that he could rediscover his style of play, injuries have changed him from what he looked he was going to be as a teenager.

You are right when you state that a lot of the hope for him is based around that ability to surge with the ball through the middle of the pitch, I really hoped at the inception of his Utd career that he could replicate some of the qualities that Giggs gives Utd from central areas, he has nowhere near the same level of technical ability though.

Cleverly is a strange one, at 21 you would expect him to either be in and around the first team or to have been moved on, something of a late developer, Eikrem always impresses with the reserves, hopes he gets a run out in league cup at the very least, maybe lacks a bit of pace for an attacking midfield role.

As for Anderson, Where do you see his future in this Utd squad? Hang around for another 2-3 years promising but not delivering before he is moved on to Spain or back to Brazil?

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Baron

I'll maintain that Anderson is more modern day box to box, albeit without the engine, than attacking midfielder. He intercepts well, his reading of the game & spacial awareness is good. He knows who to pass to & who's around him, but being out of the game so long with a serious knee injury as well as still looking to discover his form of 2 years ago he mis-places simple passes & his touch can be off. Alternately he can produce a good tackle, a run & a simple pass & for short periods of the game it looks like he'll maintain it. Then he £#%&!s up & he gets shakey, his passing deserts him & I think he feels the eyes of the bench on him...

I remember watching Vieira playing, he had good feet, a good burst of pace & he'd carry the ball well before letting someone with the right talents take over in the final third - carrying the ball through the middle of the park, transitioning from defence to attack is where I see Anderson making a mark, no one else in our side is capable of running with it in there - Fletcher is more a passer, a harrier, Scholes rarely takes more than 2 touches to play what he damn well pleases & Carrick takes no touches & goes sideways or backwards at the moment (the frustrating @#%&!).

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Coracao

Quote:
I can not argue with your summing up of what Anderson has shown us so far in his Utd career. His technique for shooting and passing has been either too inconsistent or just inadequate too often, he can keep the ball well in simple passing moves, moves it quickly, good strength and touch so is very comfortable in tight areas and never afraid of receiving it under pressure. The confusion that people have about his best role seems to be felt by the player himself, lost his instinct for the game to a degree. A positive of playing him in one set role for a period of time is that he could rediscover his style of play, injuries have changed him from what he looked he was going to be as a teenager.

You are right when you state that a lot of the hope for him is based around that ability to surge with the ball through the middle of the pitch, I really hoped at the inception of his Utd career that he could replicate some of the qualities that Giggs gives Utd from central areas, he has nowhere near the same level of technical ability though.

Cleverly is a strange one, at 21 you would expect him to either be in and around the first team or to have been moved on, something of a late developer, Eikrem always impresses with the reserves, hopes he gets a run out in league cup at the very least, maybe lacks a bit of pace for an attacking midfield role.

As for Anderson, Where do you see his future in this Utd squad? Hang around for another 2-3 years promising but not delivering before he is moved on to Spain or back to Brazil?
Not as an attacking midfielder

I think he is on increasingly borrowed time, and not just for his on field performances. Everyone looks back to his performances at the start of his United career, but his form was in 2007! We are are almost 3 years on from when he showed the form that got everybody excited about his potential.

Since then, i've not really seen a great deal of improvement from him. In fact, he has gone dramatically backwards. That's not to say it won't come, we only need to look at Nani, like you said. However, i'm not sure Anderson will turn it around in the same way. I don't know if he has the same drive, or determination to turn it around. He seems a bit too laid back...

Not sure what will happen with the midfield over the next 12 months. I think Carrick is looking to be at the point of no return too. His confidence is absolutely at rock bottom imo. Then you have Scholes who may call it a day. Bit of a pitiful situation regards the most important area of the pitch. I think we'll probably sign Defour if he proves his fitness. Pogba will probably be introduced to the squad next season too. I have little doubt that he will make it, he is a great player for his age, and stands out amongst some very good young players.

I think Anderson's contract ends in 2012. It'll be interesting to see what happens this Summer. Usually, i'd expect United to move a player on with 2 years left, if they're not going to offer him a deal, but he had been injured, so a deal this summer may not have been easy...

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Baron

Quote:
I think Anderson's contract ends in 2012. It'll be interesting to see what happens this Summer. Usually, i'd expect United to move a player on with 2 years left, if they're not going to offer him a deal, but he had been injured, so a deal this summer may not have been easy...
That document showing he cost £21m that was on here yesterday, I think you'd have to persevere with him or you'd be looking at taking a massive loss - I can't imagine he'd want for a massive pay rise either really when he was purchashed on that contract it must have been tasty.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:54 PM
borsuk

i think anderson has been one of our better players in his games since he came back. it will take a while for him to get back to top form but i can see quite a few encouraging signs, particularly the fact that in recent games he has been actively looking for the ball as much as possible, dropping back to pick it up off the defence and pushing forward to harry opposition defenders. last night, for example, he was the furthest forward of our midfield three and yet was also the player most often dropping deep to begin moves, which meant he got through a fair bit of work. for the player picking the ball up deep it's crucial to be able to move the ball quickly whether wide or through the middle and to make himself available so as to set the tempo for the move and i thought he did that very well. of the three midfielders we had there he was easily the best last night. he isn't a no 10, however, and i don't think he will be.

Unread 21-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
That document showing he cost £21m that was on here yesterday, I think you'd have to persevere with him or you'd be looking at taking a massive loss - I can't imagine he'd want for a massive pay rise either really when he was purchashed on that contract it must have been tasty.
When you factor in what a contract costs over 4/5 years, you are potentially taking a bigger loss. If something isn't working (from a financial viewpoint), you cut your losses, not hold on in the hope that it will turn around and risk bigger losses down the line.

Of course, this is football, so any financial logic is thrown out of the window...

Unread 21-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Baron

Quote:
When you factor in what a contract costs over 4/5 years, you are potentially taking a bigger loss. If something isn't working (from a financial viewpoint), you cut your losses, not hold on in the hope that it will turn around and risk bigger losses down the line.

Of course, this is football, so any financial logic is thrown out of the window...
Most businesses lose money in their few years, you have to build it up...

£#%&! the analogies.

He might never make it, Fergie's the one that saw great promise in him & paid a £#%&!ing fortune in doing so - I'd like to think at 22 he's got another year or two to make his mark here, I've repeatedly said that there are very, very few big sides across Europe that have a 22 year old bossing things. They all play a peripheral role, & really get into it in their mid-20's. If he hadn't of done his knee & looked better at the start of this season than last then yeah, he could have been shipped out if someone like Defour was fit & available & we could do a deal. But it doesn't look that way, I'd see those around him that are blossoming after a tough few years - Fletcher & Nani are the models by which we should be hold onto our patience.
Closed Thread