United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:41 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Van Persie is the most talented player in the league in my opinion. Tricks don't equate to ability. For example, Ronaldo has far more tricks than Scholes and Zidane combined, but he'll never come close to matching the ability of either of them.

As for his 'spindly frame', van Persie is similar to Bergkamp. Another awesome player with more ability than Ronaldo.

Now I'll let you get back to our Pro Evo...

that zidane you are talking about is someone very high up in the greatest ever footballers imo, and putting a young kid who has the ability to be up there with him up against it.

only time will tell how good ronaldo, rooney, van persie etc are. all have great opportunities and ability, the likes of scholes, bergkamp and zidane we can look back on great careers so it's not really relevant yet

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Van Persie is the most talented player in the league in my opinion. Tricks don't equate to ability. For example, Ronaldo has far more tricks than Scholes and Zidane combined, but he'll never come close to matching the ability of either of them.

As for his 'spindly frame', van Persie is similar to Bergkamp. Another awesome player with more ability than Ronaldo.

Now I'll let you get back to our Pro Evo...
I don't play Pro Evo, you thinking of someone else?

I don't doubt van Persie's talent, one-footed tho it is. I do think it's a bit silly to even bring names like Zidane, Scholes, and Bergkamp into the discussion, as obviously almost any player is going to suffer by comparison.

Tricks do not equate to ability, true. How about winning match after match thanks largely to the performance of one player? Is that a decent measure of ability?

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:44 PM
ScarFace

Since that Bolton game, in 15matches rooney has only scored in two of them

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:46 PM
chorleyred

ps if you are watching the dutchman right now you can see what his biggest problem is

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:47 PM
jem

Default ronaldo

is one of the best players in the world right now and he's barely got started.

zidane and scholes would have killed for his pace. when scholes came into the team, he was just a short striker.

zidane is ridiculously overrated, too. :0)

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Lazarus

It's a stupid comparison anyway. Zidane and Ronaldo are completely different players on almost every conceivable level.

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:51 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I don't play Pro Evo, you thinking of someone else?

I don't doubt van Persie's talent, one-footed tho it is. I do think it's a bit silly to even bring names like Zidane, Scholes, and Bergkamp into the discussion, as obviously almost any player is going to suffer by comparison.

Tricks do not equate to ability, true. How about winning match after match thanks largely to the performance of one player? Is that a decent measure of ability?
Well if that's the criteria, Lineker, Rush and Kerry Dixon had fantastic ability.

Let me ask you this question:

Who has more class, Ronaldo or van Persie?

You could actually throw Fabregas in there, too. It's about knowing your way around a footall pitch Gascoignesque style.

Ronaldo, for all his trickery, superb physique and speed, will never be top rate in this respect. You're either born with it or you're not.

I don't expect you to understand what I'm talking about, but maybe someone a little older might.

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:51 PM
chorleyred

for me zidane is the best player there has been over the last 15 years. always consistently been the best at every level. great great player

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:53 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
for me zidane is the best player there has been over the last 15 years. always consistently been the best at every level. great great player
as I said, ridiculously overrated. :0)

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:56 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Giggs or Ronaldo at 21?

No contest.

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You say the same about Ronaldinho too. Obviously,to some extent,all worldclass players are overrated ....doesn't change the fact they are the best players of their generation.

Unread 30-12-2006, 06:58 PM
chorleyred

ronaldinho is class, but not fit to lace zidane's boots yet for me

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Giggs or Ronaldo at 21?

No contest.
now if someone said giggs was the best player in the world for the last 15 years, I'd have taken that.

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
What is? You think Ronaldo has the ability of a Scholes, or a Zidane?

Don't make me laugh.
No the bit about Van Persie being the most talented in the PL. Now that is funny.

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:

You could actually throw Fabregas in there, too. It's about knowing your way around a footall pitch Gascoignesque style.
Fabregas is a lightweight - disappears from the game completely when it gets competitive.

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:06 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
You say the same about Ronaldinho too. Obviously,to some extent,all worldclass players are overrated ....doesn't change the fact they are the best players of their generation.
you could count ronaldinho's good games on one hand.

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I don't disagree..he has been poor for a calendar year.

I also think a lot of footballers are overrated but sometimes ,when I consider it deeply, I come to the conclusion that although they are...they are still the best in their postition.

All the world's big players are overhyped and overrated - Rooney,Henry,Ronaldinho. It's the nature of this modern beast football has grown into.

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:14 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

only if you come from burnley

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:22 PM
jem

:0)

Unread 30-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Tiberian

If you look at Ronaldo technically and physically there are very few weaknesses in his game, 2 footed, strong, quick, great control can finish, all he needed was a bit more of a rounded vision of the game and he has added that this season and he has been maginficent.
Closed Thread