United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I said i believe it about as much as I believe any other story. If we were to pay a backup £65k+ good luck renegotiating every other contract at the club. Are you saying we should pay Wes whatever he demands or is there a limit to how you would pay him?
Everyone's been quoting salaries all over the place. When Eric was on £20K you'd want to pay Wes £6K. Now there are players negotiating £140K per week £65K seems reasonable, especially considering the huge increases in revenue we've had recently. Personally £2K per week seems high so I'm not getting carried away thinking that £30K per week is low. It's only low when compared to others. If you are comparing against others then you have to ask what he'd get elsewhere.

OK so he's a backup player for us, if we want the back ups to be good enough to step into the first team and not let us down then you need to get good back up players which means other teams first team players which means paying the market rate. You could argue that you'd need to pay a back up player more than a regular first teamer, otherwise they may leave for first team football.

To stretch the point, look at Ole. We had better than him but he was as valuable to us as any striker we've had. He was on £20K per week when we could have got him for less, we didn't and that's to United's credit.

Unread 25-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
The scousers I work with want him. MOTWYW.
With your views TSV you must get on very well with them.

Unread 25-02-2008, 04:29 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Everyone's been quoting salaries all over the place. When Eric was on £20K you'd want to pay Wes £6K. Now there are players negotiating £140K per week £65K seems reasonable, especially considering the huge increases in revenue we've had recently. Personally £2K per week seems high so I'm not getting carried away thinking that £30K per week is low. It's only low when compared to others. If you are comparing against others then you have to ask what he'd get elsewhere.

OK so he's a backup player for us, if we want the back ups to be good enough to step into the first team and not let us down then you need to get good back up players which means other teams first team players which means paying the market rate. You could argue that you'd need to pay a back up player more than a regular first teamer, otherwise they may leave for first team football.

To stretch the point, look at Ole. We had better than him but he was as valuable to us as any striker we've had. He was on £20K per week when we could have got him for less, we didn't and that's to United's credit.
That doesn't answer the question though. Is there a limit beyond which you wouldn't pay Wes?

Unread 25-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Stickman

Default Wes is going nowhere

I dont think.

Mind you, could maybe see O'Neill swooping seeing as Mellbergs away in the summer.

Unread 25-02-2008, 05:23 PM
MJ Ramone

Wes has always been one of those players that is either outstanding or pretty £#%&!ing poor - depending what mood he's in.
He's never consistently 'steady'

He's not as injury prone as he used to be & I wouldn't want to see him leave.
But, if he'd rather make an extra few grand a week at a lesser Club then that's his shout.
He must be £#%&!ing soft in the head mind you.

Unread 25-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
That doesn't answer the question though. Is there a limit beyond which you wouldn't pay Wes?
The limit I'd pay Wes is £1 below what it would cost for someone better. The same goes for every player at United.

Unread 25-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
With your views TSV you must get on very well with them.
Nah, they like Fergie.

Unread 25-02-2008, 05:48 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Wes has always been one of those players that is either outstanding or pretty £#%&!ing poor - depending what mood he's in.
He's never consistently 'steady'
he has been this year, though. very consistent - evra's had more bad games than wes this year (though evra's best is better than wes' best by a long way). having a run of games in the first team has made a big difference to him, i think - he's the kind of player who needs that.

this will be his last big contract and it's his first as a first-team regular so it's no surprise he's trying to get the best deal he can. tbph i don't think wes is to blame here. i think the club (gill/fergie) don't like his agent so they're happy to comment critically publicly. if it was an agent who got on with the club the disagreement would be a lot less public, i think. they'll be loathe to allow an agent they can't stand to be seen to get a good deal out of them as well, for fear of other players turning to the same guy.

Unread 25-02-2008, 05:51 PM
puressence

if feries son was his agent he would get his 80k

Unread 25-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
if feries son was his agent he would get his 80k
how much would Brown get?

Baddum tish

Unread 25-02-2008, 07:29 PM
RedOx

I wouldn't want to see brown go, he's a decent enough player to have around the squad (not to be starting though) but at the same time he surely shouldn't be on more than 50k a week.
Closed Thread