United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
If he despised them so much surely it would feel wrong to take their money - especially if as so many seem to think Roy Keane is a man of great integrity? But no he was happy to take his £100,000 per week for doing £#%&! all for the club he professed to love - and all this, don't forget, after he had deliberately made his position at the club untenable. Funny that...
Surely you can't really believe that.

Do you really think he felt he was taking "their" money?

Lie every other professional footballer, he was taking a paycheque from the club he performed for. Nobody traces the paper trail of money. If they're owed it and they've earned it, they take it. Nothing "shameless" about that.

Also, since when was Keano one to go around professing his love for the club? He did his job and took the compensation agreed upon. I struggle to see how anyone can begrudge him that. Like most footballers, he left school early and would be unprepared for making a living outside of the game. He could have torn his knee up while still at Forest and he'd now be working on a building site or some such, like a whole boatload of pros from the 80s. Players absolutely have to look out for themselves if they want the best for them and their family later in life.

You wouldn't have a game to watch if players acted as you would have them do. It's just not reality.

Unread 28-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Surely you can't really believe that.

Do you really think he felt he was taking "their" money?

Lie every other professional footballer, he was taking a paycheque from the club he performed for. Nobody traces the paper trail of money. If they're owed it and they've earned it, they take it. Nothing "shameless" about that.
It was absolutely shameless. Other than the "prawn sandwich" statement I can remember no other instance of a player being so disrepectful towards people who pay to watch him every week and by extension pay his wages - the money to pay them doesn't come out of thin air. Of course we all know why Keane said it - to curry favour with the average fan and to that extent it was successful as this is one of the things makes Keane such a "legend" in the eyes of many.

Unread 28-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
It was absolutely shameless. Other than the "prawn sandwich" statement I can remember no other instance of a player being so disrepectful towards people who pay to watch him every week and by extension pay his wages - the money to pay them doesn't come out of thin air. Of course we all know why Keane said it - to curry favour with the average fan and to that extent it was successful as this is one of the things makes Keane such a "legend" in the eyes of many.
In the interest of accuracy, the majority of a player's money does not come from match attendance, especially in the 90s. It comes from corporate sponsorship (Barclays etc) and TV rights (Sky etc). Nevertheless, I can think of a number of other instances when players criticised fans for not making enough noise - which is essentially all Keane said about them. Quite rightly in my opinion, and anyone that was "disrespected" by it had probably never even heard of him prior to the comment making news.

In any case, we greatly disagree, so I'll respect your opinion and move on.

Unread 28-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Lazarus

Everything I was going to say has been said more eloquently by Grimson.

I will also add that as far as I'm concerned Roy earned every penny he got from United. After all,he got a very small slice of a very big cake he helped to bake.

Unread 28-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Everything I was going to say has been said more eloquently by Grimson.

I will also add that as far as I'm concerned Roy earned every penny he got from United. After all,he got a very small slice of a very big cake he helped to bake.
I reserve that kind of respect for the likes of Giggs and Scholes - who with their quiet dignity are true United Legends. Same would apply to Keane if in his declining years he had kept his mouth shut and behaved - at his 1990s best he was certainly one of our greatest ever players. But unfortunately on more than one occasion he proved himself to be a complete and utter @#%&!. And in this thread at least I propose to say no more on the subject. nft.

Unread 28-12-2006, 08:52 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I reserve that kind of respect for the likes of Giggs and Scholes - who with their quiet dignity are true United Legends. Same would apply to Keane if in his declining years he had kept his mouth shut and behaved - at his 1990s best he was certainly one of our greatest ever players. But unfortunately on more than one occasion he proved himself to be a complete and utter @#%&!. And in this thread at least I propose to say no more on the subject. nft.

Thank £#%&! for that because you're talking utter shite!

Keano-Legend.

Unread 28-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Lazarus

Don't worry about it father Crimbo. I regularly have the same argument with my sister who says the same thing as you and sniffer.

However,she is a girl.

Unread 28-12-2006, 09:09 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Who's to say Keane's comments weren't partly responsible for the team's improved performance over the last 12 months?
nah, they got rid of a defensive midfielder who couldnt do it anymore and a centre forward who didnt want to play for us anymore plus the fact we started playing 4-4-2 again or there abouts.

Keane for all his faults was an immense player who is/was an integral part of the clubs team and history.

Unread 28-12-2006, 09:21 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
nah, they got rid of a defensive midfielder who couldnt do it anymore and a centre forward who didnt want to play for us anymore plus the fact we started playing 4-4-2 again or there abouts.

Keane for all his faults was an immense player who is/was an integral part of the clubs team and history.
Aye.
Closed Thread