United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Dasilvatwins

Big call for ETH today.

Do you go with the same team with Fred, who never gave tottenhams 352 a sniff. Pace in CM and didn’t give them a seconds free space. He had good moments and some shite ones vs Tottenham, but his pace in midfield help with the high press and closing down. As shite as Fred is, it’s undeniable, that was the most complete team performance under ETH and maybe even for a number of years for the club.

Or do you swap him for the infinitely better player in Eriksen?

I think Chelsea tend to play 352 aswell, ETH tends to stick with a winning formula , might see the same team play. Maybe the thought of a fresh Eriksen feeding the quicker Rashford/Sancho/Antony outweighs any press Fred tends to bring. Either way, as long as they are competitive, we never have any luck at Stamford bridge .

2-0 United

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:17 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He's made 51 appearances thus far. Not sure that is reactionary. Yet to see what we have paid over £70m for. Thus far I am seeing a player who can't or won't beat a man, lacks genuine pace and does not impact a game anywhere near enough to be a regular at a club with any sort of ambition in the Premier League.

I don't want to see a wide player who has a nice touch before laying it off to his full back. I want to see a wide player who gets the ball and and his first thought is to attack his full back and give him a torrid afternoon.

Sancho so far just does not seem like a Utd attacker at all. He's got a massive job on if he wants to succeed here, both in terms of his game and his mentality.
As I said, if we’re noticing this then Erik will be too. Last season, his first season with us, was marred by absolutely horrendous management. Lots of players suffered from that, some of whom had been here prior. If by January he’s not hitting form then we can consider writing him off, but I’ll give him this first half of the season as some players need a little bit of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Stop firing shots at me, please.

I've been consistent with him. And been right so far.
It’s not all about you.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
He's made 51 appearances thus far. Not sure that is reactionary. Yet to see what we have paid over £70m for. Thus far I am seeing a player who can't or won't beat a man, lacks genuine pace and does not impact a game anywhere near enough to be a regular at a club with any sort of ambition in the Premier League.

I don't want to see a wide player who has a nice touch before laying it off to his full back. I want to see a wide player who gets the ball and and his first thought is to attack his full back and give him a torrid afternoon.

Sancho so far just does not seem like a Utd attacker at all. He's got a massive job on if he wants to succeed here, both in terms of his game and his mentality.
I am disappointed with him so far, expected more from his reputation, price and salary. However, ETH has improved everyone bar him and slab. Hopefully a bit more time and he improves. I don’t think we have seen what he can do, but he needs to start performing soon or be benched. I can’t see him making England squad unless he as a miraculous turn around, winter break might just be good for him.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
As I said, if we’re noticing this then Erik will be too. Last season, his first season with us, was marred by absolutely horrendous management. Lots of players suffered from that, some of whom had been here prior. If by January he’s not hitting form then we can consider writing him off, but I’ll give him this first half of the season as some players need a little bit of time.

It’s not all about you.
9 games then won't be holding my breath tbh.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

With about 40 of those coming in the most horrific season we’ve had in 30 years. He was in and out the side and played in various positions.

This season will provide a much better gauge of his quality and mentality. Proper manager, regular starts. He’s been far from bad. Only a couple of games into the season we were encouraged with his goals against Liverpool and Leicester.

Reminds me a bit of Grealish. A bit safe.

we just need more from him. Plenty of time to get it. If we’re still having the same conversation towards the end of the season, I think we should be worried. For now, time is on his side and I think he’ll get better and better.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
With about 40 of those coming in the most horrific season we’ve had in 30 years. He was in and out the side and played in various positions.

This season will provide a much better gauge of his quality and mentality. Proper manager, regular starts. He’s been far from bad. Only a couple of games into the season we were encouraged with his goals against Liverpool and Leicester.

we just need more from him. Plenty of time to get it. If we’re still having the same conversation towards the end of the season, I think we should be worried. For now, time is on his side and I think he’ll get better and better.
He's been a million miles away from being a £70m player. That's probably bad.

Suspect there will be similar comments at the end of the season, as I just don't see the traits that are required of a top player in his position.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

I think he used to play in the right at Dortmund too and Antony has shown briefly that he is a better option there right now. Maybe play him number 10 in europa rest Bruno and see how he does. He’s nimble in small spaces and with teams that park the bus he might just prove to be useful there.

If he shows zero improvement by the end of the season he is on the bin list. He’s taking in over 300k a week. Can’t have a back up bench player do that

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:38 AM
dunk

Still not convinced he’s fit enough. Seems reluctant to play/apply himself at the required tempo.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Still not convinced he’s fit enough. Seems reluctant to play/apply himself at the required tempo.
It’s feels like he’s playing within himself, yes. He’s faster, stronger and more confident than what we’re seeing.

Quote:
He's been a million miles away from being a £70m player. That's probably bad.

Suspect there will be similar comments at the end of the season, as I just don't see the traits that are required of a top player in his position.
I do. He’s got a brilliant first touch. Great control running with the ball. He’s composed. He can finish.

He’s also quick and can beat a man, we just haven’t seen that often enough yet. We’ve seen it in spells and it was there at Dortmund and for England.

I don’t think he’s ‘a million miles away’ at all. And what’s a £70m player? Harry Maguire cost more.

If he was a million miles away, he’d look awful. He doesn’t. He’s clearly got talent and he’s contributing. Just not enough.

Unread 22-10-2022, 11:55 AM
Coracao

Quote:
It’s feels like he’s playing within himself, yes. He’s faster, stronger and more confident than what we’re seeing.

I do. He’s got a brilliant first touch. Great control running with the ball. He’s composed. He can finish.

He’s also quick and can beat a man, we just haven’t seen that often enough yet. We’ve seen it in spells and it was there at Dortmund and for England.

I don’t think he’s ‘a million miles away’ at all. And what’s a £70m player? Harry Maguire cost more.

If he was a million miles away, he’d look awful. He doesn’t. He’s clearly got talent and he’s contributing. Just not enough.
You set a very low bar. He has been poor.

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
You set a very low bar. He has been poor.
And you exaggerate.

He’s been frustrating and underwhelming, not poor. He’s certainly not a million miles from where we need him to be or possessing no traits of a top player. If he was that, he wouldn’t be in tje team and would basically be Anthony Elanga.

And we’re ten games into the season. Plenty of time to show more.

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:16 PM
Coracao

Quote:
And you exaggerate.

He’s been frustrating and underwhelming, not poor. He’s certainly not a million miles from where we need him to be or possessing no traits of a top player. If he was that, he wouldn’t be in tje team and would basically be Anthony Elanga.

And we’re ten games into the season. Plenty of time to show more.
Think we'll end this futile conversation there, as no interest in you telling me what you think Sancho can actually do. I want to see him actually do it

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:19 PM
Stickman

he has been poor in the main. For 70 odd mill? Definitely flop if he carried on his Utd form to date for another season or so….

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:19 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Think we'll end this futile conversation there, as no interest in you telling me what you think Sancho can actually do. I want to see him actually do it
He has, Pal. See goals against Liverpool, Leicester and Sheriff. If you have no interest in the conversation, no worries Ta-ra.

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:22 PM
shenwen

Quote:
All we have is what he did in Germany. Not done anything yet in a United shirt that would justify his price or his reputation.

I'm in no way saying he's been shit. if he'd come from the youths I'd be excited at the prospect of what's to come. But he didn't and should be doing much more.

Sooner or later the excuses run out and he has to deliver.

Unread 22-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
All we have is what he did in Germany. Not done anything yet in a United shirt that would justify his price or his reputation.

I'm in no way saying he's been shit. if he'd come from the youths I'd be excited at the prospect of what's to come. But he didn't and should be doing much more.

Sooner or later the excuses run out and he has to deliver.
Closed Thread