United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 08-03-2018, 02:13 PM
TheFatGoth

Cool Fergie

Little tidbit from Martin Samuel's latest column...

Quote:
England players before the 1998 World Cup had these big bags of supplements and most didn’t have a clue what was in them – they just took them because they were told they would help performance. It was Gary Neville who was given the injections and Sir Alex Ferguson became convinced they were behind his slow start to the 1998-99 season. I was at a Sunday newspaper briefing when Ferguson told us how worried a lot of the managers were about what Hoddle had been giving the players – there was never any question that he was doping, more that the clubs didn’t know what was being introduced to the system, and some coaches vehemently opposed the use of a supplement such as creatine.

Ferguson said that one manager had actually complained to the Football Association. Anyway, later that day one of his people phoned around to say all the best stuff he had told us was off the record. Much of it couldn’t have been printed for legal reasons anyway – there was some scurrilous stuff about another club manager he also suspected – but it seemed a shame to lose the line about the complaint to the FA. Being resourceful, however, there was another way to land the story. So, on behalf of those present, one of us rang the FA and asked for their reaction to a story that a manager had complained about the supplements. That person may have also left the impression that we had all the details. And back they came with a response, confirming it all, denying there was a problem and even providing the name of the manager who made the complaint – which Ferguson had stopped short of telling us. His identity? Alex Ferguson. You’ve got to admit, he played that one beautifully. He knew we would get the story – which he wanted out there – but that couldn’t come directly from him. So he planted the seed and let us do the rest. It always made me laugh when people said Sir Alex hated the press. He was a very smart man in some of his dealings with us.

Unread 08-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Clarkie

Unread 08-03-2018, 02:27 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

Unread 08-03-2018, 08:20 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
I’d love it if Martin Samuel fell to his death

Unread 08-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I’d love it if Martin Samuel fell to his death
You know who wouldn't?

The ground.

Unread 08-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Ethers

Doesn’t actually make that much sense, I think Samuel has been drinking custard again

Unread 08-03-2018, 08:44 PM
General Woundwort

Often wondered who the ballbag was that read Martin Samuel's column.