United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Valeron was even slower and more lazy than Riquelme

Would never have made it in England. Fantastic player though.
Yeah, but he has one of the silliest voices I've ever heard.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I remember it well. They beat a good Milan side home and away during the group stage too that season. Like you say, a great side.
They took circulation football to another level. Don't think there's ever been a team who has managed the ball that well.

Perhaps Barca under Cruyff at their peak? Although they played a slightly different style, more spontaneous and less tactically disciplined.

Unread 13-06-2007, 03:57 PM
scherben

United's demolition of Newcastle Sept 1985

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:03 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
They took circulation football to another level. Don't think there's ever been a team who has managed the ball that well.

Perhaps Barca under Cruyff at their peak? Although they played a slightly different style, more spontaneous and less tactically disciplined.
If you start talking about the Dream Team, we could be here all day

Watching them play as a kid, they made a huge impression me. The main reason I follow Barcas results to this day are because of the football they played under Cruyff.

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Tiberian

[YOUTUBE]qbD6LHarSxo[/YOUTUBE]

Those 2 games between Utd and Barca in the 98-99 season seem to be overlooked.

Especially the second one, one of the most exciting games i have ever seen, Yorke and Cole at their absolute prime, Beckham and his deadly right foot up against Rivaldo and Figo at their best. Cracking match, Barca had to win to have a chance of going through, both teams got a standing ovation at the end of the match.

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:23 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Especially the second one, one of the most exciting games i have ever seen,
Magic. Pure magic. The 2nd goal, with the York-Cole combination, was unreal. I love it when Cole runs off to celebrate at the corner flag, you can see loads of Reds in the Barca end going absolutely mental. Quality

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:32 PM
scherben

Ffs Beckham, what went wrong?

You daft #@&%!

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Magic. Pure magic. The 2nd goal, with the York-Cole combination, was unreal. I love it when Cole runs off to celebrate at the corner flag, you can see loads of Reds in the Barca end going absolutely mental. Quality
That goal would be in my top 10 moments in Utd history, at least that i have seen.

To go to a place like the Nou Camp and score a goal of such beauty, such mastery, really was a confidence booster. That whole game, showed that we could go to the biggest teams in Europe and take them on, using our own terms. A revelatory moment, a pity that Fergie forgot that attitude for a few years afterwards.

And as a major fan of Andy Cole it was a class moment, this guy who had taken so much stick proved his worth.

Unread 13-06-2007, 04:42 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
And as a major fan of Andy Cole it was a class moment, this guy who had taken so much stick proved his worth.
The critisism he got was appaling. Always hated that @#%&! hoddle. £#%&! him and his national team, Andy won plenty with us

Unread 13-06-2007, 05:18 PM
MUFC

I had completely forgot about that double save from schmeichel in 1st half! One of the best saves he ever made!

Also seem to remember we took a battering when it got to 3-3 with Rivaldo being absolutley amazing.

Would also like to add Barca 3-2 v Valencia. Valencia needed a draw to get into the Champions League. Barca had to win. rivaldo scores the winner in the last minute with an overhead kick from 18 yards!

Unread 13-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
The 2nd goal, with the York-Cole combination, was unreal.
Out of this world

Unread 13-06-2007, 06:26 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC
Would also like to add Barca 3-2 v Valencia. Valencia needed a draw to get into the Champions League. Barca had to win. rivaldo scores the winner in the last minute with an overhead kick from 18 yards!
Watch the master in action. Highlights from that game:

[dm]2qWI2VGZf1G5sahy2[/dm]

Truly World Class

Unread 13-06-2007, 06:45 PM
MUFC One Love

Beckham was one of the deadliest midfielders in the world then. He gave us many good years of great service which is sadly overlooked far to often, he was unplayable at times.

Unread 13-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
They turned Reiziger in knots, he didn't have a £#%&!ing clue where he was

Me and my mate were down that end but high up on the near side in front of the press booths (slug-face Green was sat right behind us and got plenty of stick even back then). I remember pointing at all the Reds in that corner saying "Look at all those lucky £#%&!ers down there"
Closed Thread