United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Coracao

Default Re: A football thread - Our performances against the big 4 in the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
changes anywhere in the team affect the whole team. if you can't see the importance a solid backline is to a team's attacking play, and especially the importance of full backs to a team like united, then fair enough. i'll just leave it at that.

against chelsea? that was the one i was referring to when i said 'all but one match'. try again.

[btw, it's debatable if there was a front three at all in that game. looked more like a flatish four (giggs - fletcher - carrick - valencia) with anderson slightly further forward and supporting rooney.]

can't think why. you're not a united supporter, everybody can see that. you've spent the best part of the last three years and more slagging off fergie, the players, the club as a whole pretty much non-stop while we have caught up with the dippers, almost done another treble, won a champions league, come within a game of being the first team to retain it etc etc. it takes a real abu to be able to ignore that and spend his time slagging fergie off instead.
You're wasting your time.

Unread 13-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Spiffy

Default Re: A football thread - Our performances against the big 4 in the league

The role Berbatov plays is a big one, it's no coincidence we've failed to score against the tighter defences and Berbatov under performing.

Unread 13-11-2009, 07:27 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
You're wasting your time.
true. just waiting for the pasta tbh and trying to avoid doing any work

Unread 13-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
The role Berbatov plays is a big one, it's no coincidence we've failed to score against the tighter defences and Berbatov under performing.
Sorry if I've interpreted you wrong but..........as pudge pointed out our best formation in these games is 4-3-3/4-5-1. Tell me how berba fits into these systems? I like berba, but I'm sticking my neck out in saying he doesn't have a long term future at the club. He doesn't suit the big games and/or fergie doesn't trust him in them

Unread 13-11-2009, 08:15 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Sorry if I've interpreted you wrong but..........as pudge pointed out our best formation in these games is 4-3-3/4-5-1. Tell me how berba fits into these systems? I like berba, but I'm sticking my neck out in saying he doesn't have a long term future at the club. He doesn't suit the big games and/or fergie doesn't trust him in them
with fletcher in the team i think a 4-4-1-1 (4-2-3-1) is much more feasible and solid. in that formation i think rooney is a natural to drop deep and play as a classic no 10. he's got the brain and the vision, needs to learn the discipline of the role. berbatov - as fergie said in an interesting interview at the start of the season - needs to play further forward than he did last year. i'd love to see something like:

berbatov/owen
rooney
giggs - - - - - -- - - - - - - valencia
fletcher - - - - carrick
evra - evans - rio - brown/neville
vds

with rafael (for brown/neville), obertan (for giggs), anderson (for carrick/fletcher) and welbeck (for berbatov/owen). hargreaves too, maybe, sometime, possibly.

seems to me the best way to get the most out of the squad we have. a natural line up, for me.

didn't berbatov play up top for spurs quite a lot? seem to remember keane was usually the one dropping off/going wide.

Unread 13-11-2009, 08:17 PM
marlo

-berbatov hasnt even made a position his own at united in his 2nd season with only rooney and owen for competition.

think his name will be going in that book right below verons name!

he wont be here/first choice next season!

Unread 13-11-2009, 08:31 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
-berbatov hasnt even made a position his own at united in his 2nd season with only rooney and owen for competition.

think his name will be going in that book right below verons name!

he wont be here/first choice next season!
berbatov: 15 appearances this season
rooney: 15 appearances this season

given that they're both playing in attack, has rooney also failed to make a position his own this season?

Unread 13-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
with fletcher in the team i think a 4-4-1-1 (4-2-3-1) is much more feasible and solid. in that formation i think rooney is a natural to drop deep and play as a classic no 10. he's got the brain and the vision, needs to learn the discipline of the role. berbatov - as fergie said in an interesting interview at the start of the season - needs to play further forward than he did last year. i'd love to see something like:

berbatov/owen
rooney
giggs - - - - - -- - - - - - - valencia
fletcher - - - - carrick
evra - evans - rio - brown/neville
vds

with rafael (for brown/neville), obertan (for giggs), anderson (for carrick/fletcher) and welbeck (for berbatov/owen). hargreaves too, maybe, sometime, possibly.

seems to me the best way to get the most out of the squad we have. a natural line up, for me.

didn't berbatov play up top for spurs quite a lot? seem to remember keane was usually the one dropping off/going wide.
Lets be honest, that is 4-4-2 really. As we've been playing for a large part of the season, with Rooney and Berbatov switched round.

Unread 13-11-2009, 10:01 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Lets be honest, that is 4-4-2 really. As we've been playing for a large part of the season, with Rooney and Berbatov switched round.
it could be, but that's why i said rooney has to play the position with discipline. also fletcher behind - a key point which we've not had for much of the season.
Closed Thread