United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I certainly don’t think Berba would have done any better in that Inter side. The other way around, I’m less certain. I thought Zlatan and Adriano were pretty much left to their own devices; it seemed to me like the Inter midfield and full-backs were reluctant to carry the ball or make runs into the United half to give them any real support most of the time. So I think Zlatan was always going to have more touches/spend more time on the ball than Berbatov. However, in my opinion, the movement around him and the areas he received possession meant Berbatov was given far more opportunities to influence the game. There were several occasions during the match where I thought he failed to make the best of some very good situations. I didn’t really feel it was quite the same story for Zlatan.
What I meant was that Zlatan probably would have done similar to Berbatov if he was playing for United instead of the Bulgarian, and vice versa. I agree with what you say though. To the extent that Berbatov was the more effective of the two players, and for me the difference was only marginal, I think this was largely a reflection of his playing in a superior team. In the first half in particular we really controlled the midfield, and Inter struggled to put even a few forward passes together. As a forward, particularly a more creative one like Zlatan, it's very hard to do anything in this kind of situation. And to a slightly lesser extent the same thing happened with Berbatov in the second half, I thought.

I don't think Zlatan had more opportunities to influence the play though. If anything Berbatov should have been able to get on the ball more, with the way things played out. And neither played helped matters with their off-the-ball movement, which I thought was particularly poor from Zlatan in the first half and Berbatov in the second. (Both defensive units obviously played a big role here too, with United controlling the space and marking very effectively throughout the match and Inter doing the same in the second. Was particularly impressed with how they shut Ronaldo out of the game, after he really stamped his authority on the match in the first half.).
Quote:
Did you go to the match, Serenity?
Yep. You?

Unread 28-02-2009, 04:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
What I meant was that Zlatan probably would have done similar to Berbatov if he was playing for United instead of the Bulgarian, and vice versa. I agree with what you say though. To the extent that Berbatov was the more effective of the two players, and for me the difference was only marginal, I think this was largely a reflection of his playing in a superior team. In the first half in particular we really controlled the midfield, and Inter struggled to put even a few forward passes together. As a forward, particularly a more creative one like Zlatan, it's very hard to do anything in this kind of situation. And to a slightly lesser extent the same thing happened with Berbatov in the second half, I thought.

I don't think Zlatan had more opportunities to influence the play though. If anything Berbatov should have been able to get on the ball more, with the way things played out. And neither played helped matters with their off-the-ball movement, which I thought was particularly poor from Zlatan in the first half and Berbatov in the second. (Both defensive units obviously played a big role here too, with United controlling the space and marking very effectively throughout the match and Inter doing the same in the second. Was particularly impressed with how they shut Ronaldo out of the game, after he really stamped his authority on the match in the first half.).Yep. You?
I totally get what you were saying. I just felt that with Zlatan being a little more restriced by his team, I would be less sure about him not being any better than Berbatov if you put him in the United side. As similar as they are, I personally think Zlatan is a little more incisive than Berbs, so it'd be interesting to see him in a side with the same kind of movement. Agree with the overall assessment.

No, didn't go. They're all raving about Santon. What do you make of him?

Unread 28-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

United were a better team than Inter without doubt. Presumably Ferguson considers Berbatov to be the fulcrum of the side, the axis around which much of our great movement flows - he is one of the first names on the team sheet anyway

he held out for Berbatov in the summer with exactly this role and influence in mind. i really don't believe for a second that Ibrahimovic was ever on his radar, and Tuesday night would be just the latest example of exactly why that is.

the day I see Berbatov go and sit on an auxillary full-back and still be virtually anonymous i might change my mind, but until then...

Unread 28-02-2009, 09:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

Inter Milan v Manchester United

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:08 AM
magic_cantona

My eyes are shite, is that big Zlat with no hair?

He got skillz.

Ronnie will be doing that to the Inter fans next week too.

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

My eyes are shite, is that big Zlat with no hair?

He got skillz.

Ronnie will be doing that to the Inter fans next week too.
And posting skills.

FAIL!

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
And posting skills.

FAIL!

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Wez

You need to "Upgrade to pro today"

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM