United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Anyone remember the Rome Derby - 2002 I think? Roma @#%&!ed a very good Lazio side 5-1! Toti got one and was generally unplayable, Montella got the other 4. Some of the goals were £#%&!ing outstanding.

Brilliant, brilliant game.
think most of the goals were scored in the first half hour!

The juve side of 95-98 were one of the best club sides I've seen, should not have been beaten by Dortmund or Real Madrid. They were so close to 3 in the row. Boksic was some player when he turned up.

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
The juve side of 95-98 were one of the best club sides I've seen, should not have been beaten by Dortmund or Real Madrid. They were so close to 3 in the row. Boksic was some player when he turned up.
Didn't watch the final, what went wrong? 3-1 wasn't it? They were so comfortable against us and yet we should have really knocked Dortmund out if we'd taken our chances.

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
Didn't watch the final, what went wrong? 3-1 wasn't it? They were so comfortable against us and yet we should have really knocked Dortmund out if we'd taken our chances.
Can't really remember, think Riedle got 2 goals from Corners and Ricksen got lucky. Probably thought they had it won before the match. We should have hammered Dortmund at OT, we should have scored 4 in the first half, remember Eric & Pally missing very easy chances.

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Coracao

Sammer, class

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Sammer, class
probably the best player around in 96, didn't he miss the 97 final through injury?

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
probably the best player around in 96, didn't he miss the 97 final through injury?
Nah, he played.

Klos, Kohler, Sammer, Kree, Reuter, Lambert, Sousa, Heinrich, Möller, Riedle, Chapuisat.

Unread 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Darth Vidic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Isn't it 'layla' by eric clapton?
Cheers

Unread 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
think most of the goals were scored in the first half hour!

The juve side of 95-98 were one of the best club sides I've seen, should not have been beaten by Dortmund or Real Madrid. They were so close to 3 in the row.

The thing that taints them is the drugs scandal. Perhaps some of it has been overplayed but I don't know enough about pharmacology and physiology to understand the real effects. But it certainly puts a question mark against their achievements, which is a real shame, as there were so many talented individuals and a thrilling side at their best.

Echo all the other comments on here; people forget just how competitive the league was. In a 15 year period you had Juve, Milan, Napoli, Sampdoria and Inter all winning the league, with Parma, Genoa and Fiorentina all strong. I'm convinced that the absence of the closed shop that we effectively have in England - four European place, same four teams every year - it promoted a healthier league in which far more felt they had real chance of making an impact.

Unread 14-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Kent Brockman

From BBC Sport

Quote:
Striker Alessandro Del Piero has hinted he might seek a move to the Premier League when his contract with Juventus expires in 2010. (The Observer)
Closed Thread