United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Grimson

Default Puma creates special goalkeeper gloves for disabled boy

Quality from Puma. Kid's a top red too.

A young footballer with only two fingers and one thumb on each hand can now realise his dream of playing in goal after sportswear giant Puma designed a special set of gloves for him.

Joseph Pritchard, eight, from Churchdown, in Gloucestershire, was born with the disability and also had to have part of his left leg amputated.

He now has an artificial leg and despite his disabilities, he plays football for the Churchdown Panthers and loves playing in goal.

But until now, being a goalkeeper was a dream because he cannot wear regular goalkeeper's gloves because they are too big and fall off.

Now Puma designers created a special pair of gloves for him and have given him a new set of football boots to go with them.

Joseph's father Darren and stepmother Helen emailed several major sports companies to see if anyone could help and were overjoyed when Puma got in touch to say it would love to help.

Joseph, a Manchester United fan who loves Wayne Rooney, told the Gloucester Citizen: "I am really excited and very grateful. It will make playing football easier."

The gloves will now be specially fitted to Joseph's specifications.

Mr Pritchard, 36, said the gloves will help Joseph gain confidence on the pitch and improve his game by giving him a better feel for the ball.

"With the new gloves Joseph won't feel different, he'll be able to fit in," he said.

"He is a very brave little boy - he copes with everything. We don't allow him to be different and he doesn't allow it either."

A spokesman for Puma said: "When we heard about Joseph's love of football we knew we had to help in whatever way we could.

"By making him a pair of bespoke goalkeeper gloves we hope he can enjoy his football even more - after all, that's what this game is really all about."

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:13 PM
les vagas

you love your goalie stuff dont you mate!
any pictures?

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Load of %@#$&!s!

Ask Stepney if you need gloves to play in net:shakehead:

Look at Cech or even Edwin, spend longer punching the £#%&!ing thing than actually catching it

That is why Friedel and then Jaaaskerliiiiiineeen are the best in the league, proper keepers who do what is needed at the right time! If it needs catchin (which is 90% of the time) then they do

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Sloppy

I thought it was one of grimsons stories and was about to trail off into something else but it seems like its genuine.

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by les vagas
any pictures?
No pictures yet, they're being sent to me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
I thought it was one of grimsons stories and was about to trail off into something else but it seems like its genuine.
Yep this one is real.

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Load of %@#$&!s!

Did he have only two fingers on each hand?:shakehead:

Unread 13-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by les vagas
any pictures?
Pictures here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...al-gloves.html

Unread 13-10-2008, 08:31 PM
captain scarlet

Brave lad-good on him.

Unread 13-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Ether

Quote:
Load of %@#$&!s!

Look at Cech or even Edwin, spend longer punching the £#%&!ing thing than actually catching it

That is why Friedel and then Jaaaskerliiiiiineeen are the best in the league, proper keepers who do what is needed at the right time! If it needs catchin (which is 90% of the time) then they do
Oh, spot on. That's why Friedel and Jaaskelainen have both got those massive honours lists and Cech and VDS have won £#%&! all.

Unread 13-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
one thumb on each hand
poor sod

Unread 13-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
£#%&!'s sake, the kid is 8 years old. I can only hope you're trying to be funny. :shakehead:

Yes I was, possibly (actually VERY) poor taste! But that is the way I deal with stuff like this

God bless the lad, but if i didnt laugh i'd cry! Sorry if you thought I was being a tit

Unread 13-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Yes I was, possibly (actually VERY) poor taste! But that is the way I deal with stuff like this

God bless the lad, but if i didnt laugh i'd cry! Sorry if you thought I was being a tit
Nah I knew you were a good sort.

Unread 13-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Flix

Quote:
That is why Friedel and then Jaaaskerliiiiiineeen
Given the length of time they've spent at Backburn & Bolton, have they had to have specially made gloves, or is that only if you're born into the 'family'?

Unread 13-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Oh, spot on. That's why Friedel and Jaaskelainen have both got those massive honours lists and Cech and VDS have won £#%&! all.

I think you will find that VDS and Cech have won trophys due to what is infront of them!

Put Friedel or Jaaskelainen in one of the top 4 and then compare....

Unread 13-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
I think you will find that VDS and Cech have won trophys due to what is infront of them!

Friedel used to play for a top 4 side.

Unread 13-10-2008, 10:21 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
and gloves

Unread 14-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Ether

Quote:

That's funny, because I'm sure I can remember VDS playing a rather large part in Moscow

You don't win league titles and European Cups without having a very good keeper.

And there's a reason Friedel and Jaaskelainen don't currently play for top 4 sides.

Unread 14-10-2008, 02:39 PM
dodger

Quote:

hang on a minute

Friedel is decent but Jasskelianen is £#%&!ing £#%&!. he isn;t in a top 4 team because he isn't good enough

Unread 14-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Billy Baroo

i thought the story was very touching and the little lad sounds like a brave fella

nice one, Puma and good luck lad

Unread 15-10-2008, 01:13 AM
boreez

that's always the way, isn't it? put the fat kid or the one with deformed hands and a missing leg in goal.

shame.

seriously though, are the gloves going to have false fingers so the other team doesn't know they're up against a half boy/half tyrannosaurus rex?
Closed Thread