United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Default Real Madrid

Following todays comments from David Beckham that Madrid and United are equal, what are your thoughts?

Taking my red blinkers off for one second I can see what he means.
If you weren't a united fan who would you say was the biggest club to play for and why?
Madrid and United both have loads of history and its a tough call ( i am thinking of this as not a united fan)

I'm not agreeing with what Ronaldo has done and this is not a Ronaldo thread.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Coracao

I doubt you'd find many neutrals who thought united were a bigger club.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Rossi the Red

Look at the amount of European titles they've won.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
Look at the amount of European titles they've won.
They cheated to 5 or 6 of them though.

And it could be argued that they would've had less but for the Munich disaster.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Sparky***

Yep. They've won more trophies and have a bigger stadium.

They've also been bankrolled by the spanish government and profited hugely under the facist franco regime. They've also won exactly the same amount of european cups as United since 1968. But that's by the by.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Thats all ifs and buts though isn't it? We could have won the league and fa cup in 1995 but cantona flipped his lid.
We could have signed Shearer and won 2 more european cups, the foreigners rule in 1994/5 meant we lost out on the chance of winning the european cup.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Ether

Yes, they are.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Yes, they are.
Well we could deduce that from your statements yesterday Sepp. Woof, woof.

Any chance of a Sepp, Shep reference?

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:50 PM
plopborsky

fact is madrid is a lovely city and as much as i love manchester its alot £#%&!ing warmer there. thats something 20 european cups will not change

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Well we could deduce that from your statements yesterday Sepp. Woof, woof.

Any chance of a Sepp, Shep reference?
Following me around again I see. Ho hum.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Following me around again I see. Ho hum.
I knew you'd revert to that 'un. Nice one.

woof, woof.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
MUFC One Love

You could say that they're lucky they got a lot of their European Cups at the start because that's part of their history now. Doesn't how or when they were won, they're record will always be there.

In modern day history United are just as successful if not more succesful. I also think the Ronaldo thing is an example of the Madrid bandwagon, the more times players do this more the bandwagon grows of how Madrid are the biggest etc. They probably are for the above reasons.

Madrid haven't got past the second round of the knock out of the European cup for a few years have they? I don't think just adding Ronaldo to their team will win it them, either.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I knew you'd revert to that 'un. Nice one.

woof, woof.
It's true though. If you're going to keep coming into threads just to reply to me, at least make your comments funny. Calling me Sepp won't cut it I'm afraid.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It's true though. If you're going to keep coming into threads just to reply to me, at least make your comments funny. Calling me Sepp won't cut it I'm afraid.
Nah, I really haven't a problem with you and I've always wanted to own a dog.

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
plopborsky

he will love it there big time charlies

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
redmike

If it was just about trophies then you could say liverpool are bigger than utd but of course they ain't.

Red tints off, 10 years ago it was a no brainer but there is no doubt that utd have caught madrid up, maybe madrid have a bigger pull in terms of attracting the top players but that has a lot to do with the climate, honestly i think barcelona as well as utd are as big as madrid now.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
You could say that they're lucky they got a lot of their European Cups at the start because that's part of their history now. Doesn't how or when they were won, they're record will always be there.

In modern day history United are just as successful if not more succesful. I also think the Ronaldo thing is an example of the Madrid bandwagon, the more times players do this more the bandwagon grows of how Madrid are the biggest etc. They probably are for the above reasons.

Madrid haven't got past the second round of the knock out of the European cup for a few years have they? I don't think just adding Ronaldo to their team will win it them, either.
Good post, I agree.
History is great but how far back do you go? Huddersfield won the double, blackpool were a major force.....you can see what I mean.
Madrids history is fantastic but it is that, history.
I think at this moment in time United are the biggest football club in the world, they have history, modern day trophies (more than any other leading european club in 15 years) and have a team that could dominate for years.
Liverpool are a prime example, 5 times european cup holders but one in 30 odd years, no league titles, an fa cup and league cup here and there.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

That's a very valid point but neutrals dont care, we didn't win the EC's that Real did and as a result you have to say that they are a bigger club on the world stage.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
ScarFace

bigger ground?.....is'nt it about 80k and im sure our avg crowd over the season is bigger. It's bigger than Barcas and their ground holds alot more than Real's.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
If it was just about trophies then you could say liverpool are bigger than utd but of course they ain't.

Red tints off, 10 years ago it was a no brainer but there is no doubt that utd have caught madrid up, maybe madrid have a bigger pull in terms of attracting the top players but that has a lot to do with the climate, honestly i think barcelona as well as utd are as big as madrid now.
Good post mate.

I would add Milan in there too.
Closed Thread