United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Tiberian

Default Zidane, greatest player of the modern era

[YOUTUBE]96DUcbtEvcU[/YOUTUBE]

After the Maradona period it is easily Zidane, ridiculous talent and ability to control a game.

Still remember the 3-1 loss in the Bernebeu in 03, Utd players could not get near him, everything he did was constructive, so light on his feet for a big man, Keane and Butt were chasing shadows all night.

Of course that Madrid team also had Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Makalele all in their prime as well. Could still have beaten them if not for the midget in goal.

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
[youtube]96DUcbtEvcU[/youtube]

After the Maradona period it is easily Zidane, ridiculous talent and ability to control a game.

Still remember the 3-1 loss in the Bernebeu in 03, Utd players could not get near him, everything he did was constructive, so light on his feet for a big man, Keane and Butt were chasing shadows all night.

Of course that Madrid team also had Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Makalele all in their prime as well. Could still have beaten them if not for the midget in goal.

so do I, crushed and @#%&!ted outside before the game

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Manchester

I remember one of the home games against Juve when Zidane was crocked with a dodgy knee, he had it heavily strapped up, yet still played on and took the piss.

Best player I have ever seen live.

Off topic here, but on that game against Madrid in 2003, I ended up getting exec tickets, so sat opposite the United fans. I remember early on in the first half when the ball was coming towards our goal but to the right of the 18 yard box, Barthez came rushing out and put his hand out to stop the ball outside the area, no handball or anything was given. Anyone remember that, or am I just going mad?

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
believe

I've always said that one of the joys of being a United fan has not only been, seeing a team that was a team (even before 90), being part of a fan base, which up until recent years and i don;t care what anyone says, has been the best in europe and also being linked to a club that has more pride, passion and history than any otherr in football, we have also been able to see some of the best players in Europe come and try and "prove" theirselves on europes greatest stage.

Over the years players like Zidane have come to Old Trafford, not only at the top of their game, but wanting to do that little bit more, knowing full well that they were playing in the real home of football.

I can honestly say that I am lucky to have seen on top of United players, some of the best playerrs football has to offer.

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Tiberian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

I can honestly say that I am lucky to have seen on top of United players, some of the best playerrs football has to offer.
Ronaldo, Batistuta, Figo, Del Piero at his best, Rivaldo, Nedved, Kaka, Romario, Raul. Just a few of the best.

The 2 that have impressed me the most are Zidane and Juan Carlos Valeron, Valeron maybe not on the level of some of the other names, but like Zidane a wonderfully graceful player, who just makes the game look simple.

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
poppy

I thought it was Giggs?

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:51 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Ronaldo, Batistuta, Figo, Del Piero at his best, Rivaldo, Nedved, Kaka, Romario, Raul. Just a few of the best.

The 2 that have impressed me the most are Zidane and Juan Carlos Valeron, Valeron maybe not on the level of some of the other names, but like Zidane a wonderfully graceful player, who just makes the game look simple.
Unlikely 2 but Davids and Schuster also stick out for me. Like I said not just great players but players who tried that little bit harder (mainly because we were so in awe of them at the times they played us) everrytime they come to OT.

My personal faves are , Zidane, Ronaldo (standing ovation ffs) and del Piero.

I was also lucky enough in the late 80's to see Van Basten, Hullit and Rijkaard at United for a friendly.

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Mr_Ed

2 words...

Paul and Scholes

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
2 words...

Paul and Scholes
very true but I am sure we are talking about non united players here. or have i completely misread the question

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Serenity Now

I'm not sure about the best since Maradona. There are a number of (attacking) players who have been superior to him in their effectiveness and importance to their teams (although not in their elegance - the quality that made Zidane so good to watch). Zidane was nearly always the icing on the cake, rather than the key factor behind his teams' successes.

Rivaldo springs to mind as one from recent years. He was the key factor behind Barca's success around the turn of the century and arguably the most important factor in Brazil's triumphs at the World Cup in 2002 and Copa America in 1999. In fact, when you look at what Rivaldo did domestically and internationally in 1999, I would say it was a better year than any that Zidane had.

I think fat Ronaldo must rank above Zizou too. His goal scoring record at both domestic and international level is incredible, his individual dominance prior to his injury problems remains unmatched in the post-Maradona era, and, like Rivaldo, he was vital to Brazil's successes in 1999 and 2002. He was also more influential than Zidane in Madrid's title win in 2003.

I would put Baggio, Romario and Maldini above him as well, although I'm sure if they can be included in a post-Maradona list, as they both played decent chunks of their careers concurrently with the great man (including all of Romario's peak years, albeit with a Maradona in steep decline).

Redondo would be another one I would consider. For me, he was much more influential domestically than Zidane, although he probably didn't do enough at international level to put him above the Frenchman.

And in terms of players in England, Roy Keane?

Unread 12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I'm not sure about the best since Maradona. There are a number of (attacking) players who have been superior to him in their effectiveness and importance to their teams (although not in their elegance - the quality that made Zidane so good to watch). Zidane was nearly always the icing on the cake, rather than the key factor behind his teams' successes.

Rivaldo springs to mind as one from recent years. He was the key factor behind Barca's success around the turn of the century and arguably the most important factor in Brazil's triumphs at the World Cup in 2002 and Copa America in 1999. In fact, when you look at what Rivaldo did domestically and internationally in 1999, I would say it was a better year than any that Zidane had.

I think fat Ronaldo must rank above Zizou too. His goal scoring record at both domestic and international level is incredible, his individual dominance prior to his injury problems remains unmatched in the post-Maradona era, and, like Rivaldo, he was vital to Brazil's successes in 1999 and 2002. He was also more influential than Zidane in Madrid's title win in 2003.

I would put Baggio, Romario and Maldini above him as well, although I'm sure if they can be included in a post-Maradona list, as they both played decent chunks of their careers concurrently with the great man (including all of Romario's peak years, albeit with a Maradona in steep decline).

Redondo would be another one I would consider. For me, he was much more influential domestically than Zidane, although he probably didn't do enough at international level to put him above the Frenchman.

And in terms of players in England, Roy Keane?
How highly would you rate Sammer as far as players who brought decent teams to a higher level ???

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:15 AM
poppy

A young Ronaldo (Brazilian one) is clearly the best player we've seen since Maradona. He was on another planet from anything then or what we've seen since.

If you're including Keane then you have to include Vieira. I know the average red has got it into their head that because Keane looked awesome in the tunnel incident when he was mouthing off at Vieira that somehow he must, therefore, have been the better player, but the reality is Vieira was a majestic midfield player in his own right, at least Keane's equal (shock outrage wum wum bla bla bla zzzzzzzzzz).

I also think people forget how good Del Piero was before his injury problems. So much so, that from around 1995 to his injury in 98 he was Juve's best player, Zindane included. He's also got a scoring record of a goal every 2.4 games. What would Giggs give for a ratio like that?

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
A young Ronaldo (Brazilian one) is clearly the best player we've seen since Maradona. He was on another planet from anything then or what we've seen since.

If you're including Keane then you have to include Vieira. I know the average red has got it into their head that because Keane looked awesome in the tunnel incident when he was mouthing off at Vieira that somehow he must, therefore, have been the better player, but the reality is Vieira was a majestic midfield player in his own right, at least Keane's equal (shock outrage wum wum bla bla bla zzzzzzzzzz).

I also think people forget how good Del Piero was before his injury problems. So much so, that from around 1995 to his injury in 98 he was Juve's best player, Zindane included. He's also got a scoring record of a goal every 2.4 games. What would Giggs give for a ratio like that?

WUM of the year contender here

Welcome back Welly

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:19 AM
S/Side.Red

It's also worth noting, when praising Zidane, how much he sweated during games. Well, according to Jamie Redknapp earlier this evening on Sky's Champions League coverage, that is. "He would sweat buckets" was the phrase I think he used. Even by his standards, it was a quite unbelievable piece of brainless punditry.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:24 AM
poppy

Juve Supporters' Player of the Year

93-94
94-95
96-97

Go ask a match-going Juventus fan how good he was.

I can't let this opportunity pass without an honourable mention to favourite player of all time. The one, the only, the £#%&!tastic Mr Michael Laudrup! Genius.

Good thread.

Who the £#%&!'s welly?

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's also worth noting, when praising Zidane, how much he sweated during games. Well, according to Jamie Redknapp earlier this evening on Sky's Champions League coverage, that is. "He would sweat buckets" was the phrase I think he used. Even by his standards, it was a quite unbelievable piece of brainless punditry.
Fantastic!

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Go ask a match-going Juventus fan how good he was.
I watched Juve regularly when Zidane was there. He was good, but not nearly as important to them as Del Piero and Deschamps.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:31 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Fantastic!
Sometimes they let the poor lad go on a little too long before intervening.

Rivaldo certainly warrants a mention. He scored a ridiculously large amount of goals at Barca, even when Gaspart took over and tried to run the club into the ground. That hat-trick against Valencia remains one of the most extraordinary performances I've ever seen and he was the best player on the pitch in the best United game I've ever seen: the 3-3 at the Camp Nou. Like you say, it's also way too easily forgotten how important he was in Japan/Korea, particularly against England.

Unbelievable player in his prime.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
How highly would you rate Sammer as far as players who brought decent teams to a higher level ???
Sammer was unquestionably a top player, and really the last in the Beckenbauer mould. I don't think there's anyone around today with the individual qualities and tactical insight to play that role at anything like the level that Sammer did.

I would also say that his performance at Euro 96 was arguably better than anything Zidane managed at international tournaments, even including his best showing at Euro 2000 (where he disappeared in the final, as was his custom at the time). Very influential in Dortmund's European success as well.

However, I'm not a big fan of the Bundesliga, so I can't really say how his domestic career compared with Zidane's.

Overall I'm not sure if I'd put him ahead of Zidane, but he'd definitely be up there.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Juve Supporters' Player of the Year

93-94
94-95
96-97
Oops. Just realised that you weren't referring to Zidane
Closed Thread