United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #13 - Red @rmy

Good evening and welcome to tonight's TID's.

Before we start - RIP Elvis, the 30th anniversary of his death today for those of you who don't know...

My guest in the studio tonight is Red @rmy, who is going to give us an insight into his life for music, United & literature amongst other things.

You know the rules - the floor is your's after the luxury item is posted, so let's get on with it.

Here are Red's selections:

1.Jimi Hendrix - The wind cries Mary
Top tune, chilled out masterpeice by the legend.

2. Black Sabbath - Dirty Women
a top tune to air guitar to.

3. Velvet underground - Chelsea Girls
One of the best bands ever. fact!

4. Santana - Black Magic Woman
the Mexican legend, my favourite santana track.

5. Gil Scott heron - Lady Day and John Coltrane A poet, musician, activist, made some amazing music.

6. The Damned - New Rose
not everyones favourite punk band, but deffo one of mine.

7. Kraftwerk - Die Roboter (The Robots)
German efficency, true electronic masters at work.

8 Stone Roses - Tell Me
One of my favourite roses tracks, produced by Marting Hannett on a double A side with so young.

Welcome [email protected],

Let's get into your first selection the 1967 offering from the late Jimi Hendrix (it's the 37th anniversary of his death next month) from his Are You Experienced album.

Talk us through your choice....

Old 16-08-2007, 07:47 PM
red @rmy

Oooh how exciting, 1664 opened and ready to go, thanks Brenner.
Can I just start by saying the tracks chosen are not necessarily my favourite, they would just provoke good memories whilst stuck on tissue island.

My First choice, Jimi Hendrix.
Mum and dad were both hippies, and they liked a spliff or two, one abiding memory that takes me back to my childhood, was one night during the power cut, it was a mad hot night, mum had been baking some bread and you could smell it all over the house, mum was lighting some candles and josticks in the front room. we had the window open, and without sounding melodramatic the net curtains were wafting in the light breeze, me and arkid are sprawled over the settee in just our shorts, dad in his chair and mum sat crossed legged on the floor near the record player rolling a joint. Dad got up and put Jimi Hendrix on, he put the wind cries Mary on, no-one spoke for the whole song, it felt like you had headphones on, it was a surreal moment, and one I look back on fondly.

Old 16-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Brenner

Default ha ha!

that sounds mint

As we're on the joint theme - did you know this song was NOT about marijuana (Mary-Jane in Spanish) as the myth goes....?

Old 16-08-2007, 07:56 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
that sounds mint

As we're on the joint theme - did you know this song was NOT about marijuana (Mary-Jane in Spanish) as the myth goes....?
I did, I also know from swatting up it was actually about an argument over his then missus (Kathy Etchingham) cooking, after she stormed out of their apartment, Hendrix wrote "The Wind Cries Mary", as Mary was Etchingham's middle name.

Nice to see he was the one who wore the trousers.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Spot On

yep - good to see the legend ruling the gaff!

Choice number two is a debut on TID's for Brum heavy rockers Black Sabbath and Dirty Women from their "Technical Ecstacy" LP from 1976.

A song about prostitution......

Old 16-08-2007, 08:05 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
yep - good to see the legend ruling the gaff!

Choice number two is a debut on TID's for Brum heavy rockers Black Sabbath and Dirty Women from their "Technical Ecstacy" LP from 1976.

A song about prostitution......
Yes, it's also a sprawling song full of guitar rifs and mad drums.
Quite a long song for sabbath,well over 5 minutes.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Brenner

I take it you'd moved out of the hippy/mellow zone by choosing this track?

Old 16-08-2007, 08:09 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
I take it you'd moved out of the hippy/mellow zone by choosing this track?
Haha slightly, mum and dad had a massive musical influence on me, they often had mates round to the house, one particular night they had a party, me and arkid were just mooching round the house doing nowt, It turned out to be the night we had our first taste of beer, we nicked a party seven can and continued to slurp the horrible stuff down, we were ruined, mum went mad but dad was laughing his balls off, and soon, we were the entertainment for the night, dad whacked on Dirty women by black Sabbath, and I remember me and arkid head banging to it on the sofa, the room was spinning, it all ended shortly after that after arkid spewed his guts up all over the sofa. Mad days.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Brenner

superb!

Track 3 is by Lou Reed/John Cale's New York 5 piece, The Velvet Underground.

You've gone for their Chelsea Girl's track from "The Velvet Underground & Nico" album

Iconic Warhol album sleeve btw....

Old 16-08-2007, 08:17 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
superb!

Track 3 is by Lou Reed/John Cale's New York 5 piece, The Velvet Underground.

You've gone for their Chelsea Girl's track from "The Velvet Underground & Nico" album

Iconic Warhol album sleeve btw....
Love the Velvets, And I agree the album cover is instantly recognised.

I f***ing love this song!! Nico's voice is brilliant, she sounds like a femme fatale out of a James bond movie.
Closed Thread