United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #11 - Carlosartorial

Good evening one and all and welcome to the TID's studio.

It gives me great pleasure to welcome tonight's guest Carlosartorial, to share his selections with us, aswell as his earliest United memories.

As usual, I respectfully request that you keep any comments until the end, when you are welcome to offer your thoughts.

Without further ado then, let's rock 'n' roll:

Jewel Akens - The Birds and The Bees

Stone Roses - Waterfall

Curtis Mayfield - The Makings Of You

Shack - Al's Vacation

Love - You Set The Scene

The Jimi Hendix Experience - Manic Depression

James Brown - Funky President (People It's Bad)

Bee Gees - Glass House

Good Evening Carlo.
Some interesting choices, spanning some diverse musical genres.

Taking your first selection, a 1965 one-hit-wonder for a little known American backing singer, Jewel Akens.
Why did this track make the list...?

Last edited by Brenner; 02-08-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM
carlosartorial

Good evening Brenner, good evening listeners.

I remember this song from when I was really young. My mum was always really into her music (motown, northern, chart stuff and that) and this song was on a compilation tape she had. It’s just a daft, throwaway song but it reminds me of being a kid. That tape (which I’ve still got somewhere) also had the full length version of ’Make Me Believe In You’ by Patti Jo on it which is an absolute classic that got re-released numerous times years later and became a really famous tune. I remember when people playing it as if they’d discovered it and I’m thinking ‘yeah, I remember this from when I was about 5’.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Brenner

So were you a 60's child then?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
carlosartorial

Nope, born in '73. My mum and dad were big northern soul heads, my dad had a scooter and that. I would love to get my hands on my dad's record collection but he's not having it, despite me pointing out he's not owned a turntable for the last 20 years.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Brenner

Quality.

Selection number 2 is the 1992 Roses release Waterfall - the fourth single to be taken from the mercurial debut album.

I remember seeing them at The Hacienda in the late 80's and when they played this it genuinely made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Your favourite track from the album, or is there more to it than that....?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
carlosartorial

Could have been any one of about 8 or 9 off that album. This one probably had the most impact tho...

Chimes sing Sunday morn..’ The Roses will always be my favourite band ever. I first heard this as a 15 year old Smiths, Bunnymen, Wedding Present, House Of Love fan and to say it made me sit up and pay attention is an understatement. Literally, changed my world and I know I’m not the only one on here who’d say that. They started me listening to The Byrds, The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Funkadelic, hip hop, soul, reggae, house music, everything…cos that was what they cited as influences, not just plain ‘indie’ music.

I bought that album the day it came out in the April and I think it had to be replaced by August. Literally wore it out. The Roses just couldn’t put a foot wrong in my eyes at the time – they really meant it and spoke with complete conviction. The only band who ever connected with their audience like that were The Clash I think, though they were before my time - perhaps Oasis achieved something similar for a while a couple of years later, in the days before they became a parody of themselves.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Brenner

Was the fact that they split so prematurely a good thing for you, or do you think it was the best thing that happened due to the fact that it would be so hard to ever surpass their debut album....?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM
carlosartorial

No, I think it was sad they never followed up that first album within a couple of years.

I remember having tickets for Glastonbury for their proposed big live comeback in the summer of 95. The feeling when I they cancelled cos Squire broke his collarbone - gutted.

Seeing them that winter turned out to be anti-climax, once Reni had left the magic had gone. The Second Coming has some great moments, 'Love Spreads' was the best 'statement of intent', comeback single ever. I was at Wembley for the last date Squire and Brown did together but they were a shadow of the band they once were by that point.

Thankfully I missed the debacle that was their final appearance at the Reading Festival.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Brenner

Default The Rose were

One of the most inspiring bands I have ever heard - without doubt

Track 3 is by the late American soul/funk/R&B singer/songwriter and all round gifted artist/musician Curtis Mayfield.

You've gone for one of his less obvious, but undoubtedly poignant songs, The Makings Of You, from his 1970 debut solo album "Curtis"

What memories does this track evoke....?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 PM
carlosartorial

Beautiful tune – self produced. Strings, horns, signature congas going on. It comes in on that first solo album, with a mad, floaty harp like a dream sequence/Wizard of Oz moment or summat. ‘Curtis’ is quite a dark record in parts, heavy ‘What’s Going On’-style social decay theme going on – but this track is just a beautiful, romantic love song. Curtis trying to describe ‘what it is’ about his woman.

Love of all mankind should reflect some sign
Of the words I'm trying to recite
They're close, but not quite
Almost impossible to do
Describing the makings of you

…and then the harp comes in and it floats off again. Magical stuff.

The line "the joy of children laughing around you" always has me cos my missus is a teacher and she comes home with some great stories, this song makes me think of her.
Closed Thread