United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 PM
The Return of JC

Default Interesting article in the Guardian about our glorification of Euro 96.

Sorry if already posted

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...s_euro_96.html

Old 04-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Decent article - spot on in the most. I like Rob Smyth's stuff.

Strange time to just decide to write a piece about Euro 96 tho' eh.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Serenity Now

Excellent article. Cheers for that.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:51 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Strange time to just decide to write a piece about Euro 96 tho' eh.
They do that thought don't they?

Whenever I read an article about something that isn't topical I just imagine them being bored and thinking 'I wonder if they'll read this'.

I like how he mentions that 96 was a period between great generations. Even the England side was a little like that. The most successful tournament since 1990 for them and yet the squad has nowhere near the quality it has now.

McManaman, Redknapp, Barmby, a 20 year old Gary Neville.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM
tatty

Gibberballs.

I've seen many euros and and wc's and for entertainment that was one of the best, a cracking summer.

That article is typical trendy balls that appeals to fans who want to be different and stand out with their radical thinking whilst mocking the views of the majority.

It's similar to the f***ing nonsense we get on here from the 'uber reds'.

Gibberballs.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
They do that thought don't they?

Whenever I read an article about something that isn't topical I just imagine them being bored and thinking 'I wonder if they'll read this'.

I like how he mentions that 96 was a period between great generations. Even the England side was a little like that. The most successful tournament since 1990 for them and yet the squad has nowhere near the quality it has now.

McManaman, Redknapp, Barmby, a 20 year old Gary Neville.

Thing is they didnt really do THAT well (even though a semi final spot says otherwise).

Aside from the tonking of Holland they were largely mediocre.

Switzerland - score draw (not good enough)
Scotland - win (very mediocre, if Mccalister had put the pen away I firmly believe Scotland were going to win that match, England were largely outplayed).
Holland - speaks for itself

Spain - goalless Draw - pens win
Germany - goalless Draw - pens out

They had a nice setup that year but in terms of a game to game basis they werent all that good in that tournament.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
signed dc

second summer of love? We'd already had that.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Thing is they didnt really do THAT well (even though a semi final spot says otherwise).

Aside from the tonking of Holland they were largely mediocre.

Switzerland - score draw (not good enough)
Scotland - win (very mediocre, if Mccalister had put the pen away I firmly believe Scotland were going to win that match, England were largely outplayed).
Holland - speaks for itself

Spain - goalless Draw - pens win
Germany - goalless Draw - pens out

They had a nice setup that year but in terms of a game to game basis they werent all that good in that tournament.

Correct.

An awful lot of football can be disguised based on a general consensus formed later.
The hype surrounding it suggests they blew teams away and when you show Gazza's goal and an isolated 4-1 victory against Holland it's easy to fall into that trap.

Never do we acknowledge, when referring to England's 5-1 win over Germany, that it must've been one of the worst performances by a German side ever.

Oh, and that it was a qualifier. In the actual tournament itself, Germany got to the final as England huffed and puffed to the 1/4 finals.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
Decent article - spot on in the most. I like Rob Smyth's stuff.
Was he the one who wrote that shit about us before the start of last season?

If so, he's a w****r.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:25 PM
koppas

That was the best tournament I have seen bar none. Maybe its because I was only 12 and didn't appreciate football as much as I do now.

WC98 was a good 'un too.
Closed Thread