United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Gaming

Old 23-02-2018, 12:42 PM
TheFatGoth

Exclamation Metal Gear Survive

Looks like some decent reviews are poking up through the cloud of Konami hate and Kojima cultism - played a bit of the beta last week and althought I didn't really know what that hell I was supposed to be doing, there is defo a fun game somewhere in there and the Fox engine is still really tight as fuck. Puchased the full game last night.

Shouldn't have been an MG game though, really cheap marketing ploy from Konami.

Old 23-02-2018, 02:46 PM
24hr Leavesey

Looks shite, and as you say a shameless tie in to the metal gear series they destroyed in the first place. They're also making any mug stupid enough to buy this game pay extra for in game save slots ffs.

Old 23-02-2018, 06:46 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Looks shite, and as you say a shameless tie in to the metal gear series they destroyed in the first place. They're also making any mug stupid enough to buy this game pay extra for in game save slots ffs.
You don't need a second game slot...

Quote:
In exchange for 1000 SV coins - around 7.99, seeing as that's how much a bundle of 1150 coins will cost you - you unlock access to an additional character slot. And that's the only way you can access an additional character slot.

It's a baffling choice, really - this isn't the kind of game you'd want to grind through with different characters, seeing as you're never locked into one particular build, though why option is then locked out behind a paywall seems only to invite ire. Which, given the heated emotions surrounding Konami's first post-Kojima Metal Gear, it inevitably has. A small shame, really, as beyond such bullshit there's a half decent Metal Gear game to be found in Survive.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...l-gear-survive

Old 24-02-2018, 07:37 PM
TheFatGoth

Few hours in and enjoying it nqat. It's a bit of a grind and really hard in places but rewarding as you start to level up and unlock more shit.

The first hour is tedious tutorial and cut scenes but once you get into it it's really good imo. Reviews are all over the place but I've played better rated games that haven't kept my interest like this has (Witcher 3 for example).

All the furore over it costing for an extra save slot is bollocks btw - you simply don't need an extra save slot. You have one character and it saves your progression automatically.

I'd liken it to a cross between MGSV, Resident Evil and Clash of Clans tbh. 7.5/10 so far.

Old 24-02-2018, 07:40 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Few hours in and enjoying it nqat. It's a bit of a grind and really hard in places but rewarding as you start to level up and unlock more shit.

The first hour is tedious tutorial and cut scenes but once you get into it it's really good imo. Reviews are all over the place but I've played better rated games that haven't kept my interest like this has (Witcher 3 for example).

All the furore over it costing for an extra save slot is bollocks btw - you simply don't need an extra save slot. You have one character and it saves your progression automatically.

I'd liken it to a cross between MGSV, Resident Evil and Clash of Clans tbh. 7.5/10 so far.

have now started that for the 3rd time and I still do not know if I like it, it feels abit boring, is there a multiplayer with this metal gear ? In 2 minds about getting it, Far Cry is out next month, that is one I am deffo getting..

Old 24-02-2018, 07:58 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
have now started that for the 3rd time and I still do not know if I like it, it feels abit boring, is there a multiplayer with this metal gear ? In 2 minds about getting it, Far Cry is out next month, that is one I am deffo getting..
Yeah, there's a team co-op mode, not sure what else. Played it on the beta and enjoyed it, but too engrossed in single player to try it again at the mo.

Survive is defo the aim of the game with this one, lots of resource gathering, hunting, cooking, finding water etc. you're constantly watching your hunger and thirst levels. It's defo a grind, but as you upgrade your base, you can add water purifiers and farms to make that side of things a little easier. The base building aspect is quality tbf, reminds me of Clash of Clans, can't wait until Fort FatGoth is fully functional

Old 25-02-2018, 10:43 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

There's no tangible justification to charge for save slots ffs

They'll make you pay for continues soon if you keep eating their shit and thanking them for it.

Old 25-02-2018, 01:15 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
There's no tangible justification to charge for save slots ffs

They'll make you pay for continues soon if you keep eating their shit and thanking them for it.
I don't necessarily disagree but then there's no real justification as to why someone would need one?

Evidently, it's been a feature of every single online MG game ever yet people are only kicking up a fuss with this one.

Old 28-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Clarkie

Anyone know if I need to play Peace Walker before I move onto Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain?

Have them both here but, afraid to play them incase Peace Walker is important to the story

Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM
TheFatGoth

I never bothered, although there was things I felt I missed out on story wise. I've got Peace Walker on the HD Collection, but I just can't get into it - feels like you're playing a mobile game or something. Might be worth just reading up on the plot.

Still loving MGSurvive. Really challenging in parts but it's addictive.