United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Old 30-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Football Gheorghe Hagi - Manager in Waiting?

Sensational footballer, and one of my favourite players as a kid in the 90s. The 'Maradona of the Carpathians' seems to be working a bit of magic as founder, owner and manager of his club Viitorul Constanța, which he created off his own back in 2009.

Hagi himself founded Viitorul in 2009, mainly with the purpose of developing top young prospects (and, of course, selling them).

But then he won the league last season, bettering the traditional powerhouses such as Steaua and Dinamo Bucharest in the process. He did so with a cast of kids and players signed almost exclusively on free transfers – Hagi has spent about €85,000 on transfer fees during the club’s five seasons in the top flight, while selling an €11m worth of players – a feat surely unmatched even by the masters of Football Manager.
Decent article from earlier this summer by the Guardian here:

“My idea is that an academy has to produce one first-team player per year, no matter what club we are talking about,” he says. “Madrid, Barça, Chelsea, any big club you want. In my team, two or three come each year and this time it was seven; that’s at our level but if you’re working with the best academies I think it’s impossible not to produce one player for the first team. It’s a must.”

It could be read as a shot at certain Premier League clubs but Hagi does not intend it that way. He visited one organisation with an uncertain pathway to senior football, Manchester City, last year on the invitation of his friend Pep Guardiola, and found their academy “incredible, very beautiful, with fantastic infrastructure”. Hagi is only half-joking when he says: “I hope to challenge Pep one day”; he does not say where but he is a confirmed anglophile and believes England are a few tweaks away from a new era of success.
Sounds like he is tailor-made for United's proud philosophy and rich history of youth development, and ready to take the challenge to Pep.
Old 30-12-2017, 08:38 PM
waynes ear's

say he gets the gig, how long before you are offering him out of Quay Street?
Old 30-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Possibly the biggest pile of shit ever posted on the internet.

it's a no from me.
Old 30-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Arnold Muhren

What a player he was, up there with Dragan Stojković and Robert Prosinecki as top notch Eastern European talents of the 80/90's. Sounds like he's doing good work as well, fair f***s to him.
Old 30-12-2017, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Recall how a few English pundits always called him "ARGY"

Great player