United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology
Reply
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Poop
 
Default Home electrical problem

My daft mother blew two bulbs in a lampshade today. Put new ones in and they didn't work so she landed the thing on me. The fuse is working but I changed it for a new one anyway and I checked the wiring in the plug and its all in place. Left it plugged in and gave the three wires a prod of the phase tester and they are completely dead.

Being the intelligent mam I am even gave the live a quick prod of my index finger and I wasn't electrocuted.

How the f*** can no power be getting to them? I even checked the three pins on the plug that they were protruding far enough to reach into the socket.

I said I'll change the whole plug and cable* for her but its one of those expensive old heaps of ugly shite that only women seem to put any value on so she won't risk me f***ing it up even though its a simple job.

Anyone? The socket and fuse box are both fine too

*for a scart obviously
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:47 PM
sweetleftfoot
 
Default

Check the wiring in the back of the light fitting* It should unscrew out of the lamp base. Sounds like something has worked loose

*with a wet flannel obviously
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Poop
 
Default

Yeah, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow.

But that the exposed copper wires are getting no juice direct from the socket is what has me really confused. Surely a connection problem six foot along the cable and inside the lamp wouldn't prevent them from being alive when I'm prodding at them with the back of the plug removed and in the socket.
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 PM
goldfinger II
 
Default

Wouldn't be the socket itself?
 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Poop
 
Default

Nope. Rang her and asked her to plug other things in and they worked. Very odd tbh.

Saying that she IS a woman so I can't take her word for it. Will pop round tomorrow and give her a few thumps.
 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 PM
armchair
 
Default

seems like it could be god punishing you. have you tried having a pray?
 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Poop
 
Default

Nope. But I swore at him and baby Jesus a good few times trying to fix it so I doubt if they'll be answered anyway

 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:37 PM
ScarFace
 
Default

 
Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 AM
Spock
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
Nope. Rang her and asked her to plug other things in and they worked. Very odd tbh.

Saying that she IS a woman so I can't take her word for it. Will pop round tomorrow and give her a few thumps.
gotta be the cable then...
 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 AM
red red robbo
 
Default

You say you've tested the pins inside the plug with the back off (very dangerous children!). Condescending question coming up, are you sure you are using the meter properly? Have you got the voltage range set correctly and is it set to AC not DC?

Maybe obvious but I always suspect my test equipment/setup before I start pulling things apart.

One thing you could check is the state of the part of the plug pin that actually goes into the socket. Is it blackened, is there a bit missing? Sometimes when a bulb blows a surge of current flows through the plug and can damage it.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Home electrical problem
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical fire at Man Utd ground fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-01-2017 09:20 AM
weird electrical goings on thenorthwillriseagain Science & Technology 29 27-11-2012 08:20 AM
where can i send my old electrical gear.... waynes ear's Main Forum 10 04-05-2010 11:04 AM
Electrical items in your house ScholesScoresGoals2 Main Forum 42 18-02-2009 05:39 PM
Electrical Shops in Manchester ScholesScoresGoals2 Main Forum 9 07-03-2008 09:51 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2016 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.