United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology
Reply
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:19 PM
signed dc
 
Default Car experts of the forum - help required

I need to get a new 2nd hand motor.
Don't want to spend more than 5k. Currently cruising around in a Vauxhall zafira 7 seater 😎 She's served me well, but time is catching up with her.
Wouldn't mind another 7 seater but would I get a better value motor by downsizing to a standard 5 seat set up? Looking more for a family car, rather than Some kind of flash sporty fanny-magnet type thing.
Any recommendations, any bad makes I should steer clear of?
Thanks in advance for any genuine help.
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Child of Darkness
 
Default

Private lease - offer very good Vfm.
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 PM
no fun
 
Default

Whatever you do, don't involve mrs dc in any conversations/decisions
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM
red red robbo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc View Post
I need to get a new 2nd hand motor.
Don't want to spend more than 5k. Currently cruising around in a Vauxhall zafira 7 seater 😎 She's served me well, but time is catching up with her.
Wouldn't mind another 7 seater but would I get a better value motor by downsizing to a standard 5 seat set up? Looking more for a family car, rather than Some kind of flash sporty fanny-magnet type thing.
Any recommendations, any bad makes I should steer clear of?
Thanks in advance for any genuine help.
You can buy absolutely anything.

It will be better than your current ride
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
signed dc
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
You can buy absolutely anything.

It will be better than your current ride
Hey up, Clarkson's in.
How so? What's up with them?
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM
dodger
 
Default

How many people are you generally carting around? Work on the seats issue from that answer.
How much mileage do you do? If over 15k per year consider a diesel. if not, don't bother. Lots of good , small, decent performing but economical petrol engines around.
FYI Ford 2.0 diesel is very reliable and Peugot/citreon use the same engine. Ford/peugot/citreon 1.6 diesel is shite, avoid.
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM
signed dc
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
How many people are you generally carting around? Work on the seats issue from that answer.
How much mileage do you do? If over 15k per year consider a diesel. if not, don't bother. Lots of good , small, decent performing but economical petrol engines around.
FYI Ford 2.0 diesel is very reliable and Peugot/citreon use the same engine. Ford/peugot/citreon 1.6 diesel is shite, avoid.
Maximum load of 5 passengers, mileage approx 6-7000 p/a
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc View Post
Maximum load of 5 passengers, mileage approx 6-7000 p/a
No need for a 7 seater pal plus they are as ugly as bellers after a few beers

I've got a good contact at Merc who could have a look at their trade in database if you want, pm if you need any help
 
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
red red robbo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc View Post
Hey up, Clarkson's in.
How so? What's up with them?
I drove a brand new one a few years back as a hire car and found it to be the least interesting car I had ever driven.

When I needed an estate car to drive the family around in I got a Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia x, no need to have a dull car.

Of course, if you just want one to get from A to B and don't really enjoy the experience of driving there's no need to have an exciting one either, that's why god invented Vauxhalls

On a serious note, I'd be wary of buying a diesel right now, no matter what mileage you do. The tide of public, and political, opinion is turning against diesel engined family cars so you might end up getting financially shafted in the near future.
 
Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM
signed dc
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
I drove a brand new one a few years back as a hire car and found it to be the least interesting car I had ever driven.

When I needed an estate car to drive the family around in I got a Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia x, no need to have a dull car.

Of course, if you just want one to get from A to B and don't really enjoy the experience of driving there's no need to have an exciting one either, that's why god invented Vauxhalls

On a serious note, I'd be wary of buying a diesel right now, no matter what mileage you do. The tide of public, and political, opinion is turning against diesel engined family cars so you might end up getting financially shafted in the near future.
Enjoy driving? with my family in the back?!
What about Golfs/Polos? Any good anyone?
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Car experts of the forum - help required
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car experts/grease monkeys of the forum irk Science & Technology 22 27-05-2017 11:48 AM
DIY experts of the Forum signed dc Science & Technology 32 30-10-2016 04:37 AM
Font experts of the Forum signed dc Science & Technology 6 06-07-2015 10:28 PM
Forum help required. Fat Al Main Forum 13 04-09-2009 07:54 PM
FAO Forum Medical Experts The Real Roxanne Main Forum 10 27-04-2007 01:01 PM
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Copyright 2006 - 2016 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.