United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 27-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Zorg

Default Brexit etc

Things seem to be gearing up at least a little bit. Whichever side you're on, it's going to be a cluster headache to sort out, nqat.

KPMG survey of 100 big UK company bosses reveals most are happy about growth prospects but 76% are considering moving operations elsewhere because of Brexit:

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN11W003

Why Is The UK Government Keeping Us In The Dark Over Brexit?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/12158204

The Brexit Hurdles (good band etc)

http://jackofkent.com/2016/09/the-ma...-summary-post/

more in the comments. NI is going to be impossibly complex.

'Mind-boggling' complexity of task as described by someone involved

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7328721.html

Last edited by Zorg; 27-09-2016 at 07:06 AM.

Old 27-09-2016, 07:40 AM
redhegemony

Last edited by redhegemony; 27-09-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Old 27-09-2016, 07:41 AM
doudou

What a colossal f***-up it was: asking people their opinion on something they knew f***-all about. Cameron getting dry-bummed by the xenophobes, racists and shysters in his own party of c***s. This would have been hilarious if it hadn't have been the future of the UK that was getting f***ed with him.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken

Old 27-09-2016, 07:50 AM
irk

Everything gets blamed on brexit now. It's the new "health and safety" of bullshit excuses for being a c***.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ts-mike-ashley

A typically guardian piece of reporting. "You think the working class have it bad? Well, it's effecting our sort now, something really must be done"

Old 27-09-2016, 08:03 AM
denis lawless

Old 27-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Jez Quigley

The only good for me is that it should stop all the plebs here going on about another referendum.

Getting Scotland out of the UK would be equally as messy and tortuous.

My only hope is that by the time things are 'decided', the world will have changed so much anyway it doesn't matter that much anyway.

Absolute Rojo for Nani of a decision. Then. Now. Forever.

Old 27-09-2016, 08:15 AM
20 times

I didn't vote to leave the EU but nothing is ever as bad as people think and I'm sure things won't fall apart

Old 27-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Tumescent Throb

issues still exactly the same as pre-ref, except now the Tory right does, as feared, have its hands on the wheel.

those who voted to Leave are responsible for the Tory right taking control, and the only way they'll be able to correct that is to vote for Corbyn at the next GE.

Old 27-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
The only good for me is that it should stop all the plebs here going on about another referendum.
Same plebs that voted to stay in the EU by a massive majority?

It strengthens the argument for another referendum if anything

Old 27-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Everything gets blamed on brexit now. It's the new "health and safety" of bullshit excuses for being a c***.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ts-mike-ashley

A typically guardian piece of reporting. "You think the working class have it bad? Well, it's effecting our sort now, something really must be done"
I agree actually. We should resist the temptation to blame everything on it. This thread wasn't meant in that way, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the company bosses saying they don't see growth being affected. For example, the 'hurdles' blog post says 'I call each of these a “hurdle” – because it is possible that each one of these can be negotiated and jumped over'.

But it's equally stupid to dismiss any discussion of the horrendously complicated task ahead as scaremongering, which is what I'm seeing at the moment. In fact, it's absolutely astonishing that people in positions of authority are seriously suggesting just winging it, no matter what the consequences, when it's something that needs to be approached delicately and intelligently.

The simple fact is, no matter how you voted, there's a highly complex web of issues to sort out - this is fact, not opinion - and it's going to be interesting to say the least to see how they untangle everything without causing too much damage, since all the issues are related. They will affect us all, this is really very important for the people of the UK and Europe, so pardon me if I find it interesting. It's nothing to do with predicting doom.

Just off the top of my head from the blog post

- 2017 will see elections in Germany and France. Do they wait to see who gets in before triggering Article 50?

- How can we talk about democracy, yet allow the (unelected) Prime Minister to use Royal Prerogative to trigger it without any form of Parliamentary debate?

- The UK's WTO membership terms are bundled with the EU’s. That will mean new negotiations, which will take a long time. What attitude will countries like Argentina take to the UK's position?

- Is there a third solution to the Ireland problem other than either a hard border (nightmare) or a united Ireland?

- How will the rights of EU citizens resident in the UK be sorted out, given that, unlike many EU countries, the UK doesn't require foreign citizens to register with anyone when moving there?

And so on.