United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Brenner

Exclamation TIDs (3) #6 - Billy Baroo

Good Evening once again TIDdy fans, and welcome to Tissue Island Discs.

Tonight, at last, we have one of the forum galactico's in the studio. A man who has style running through his veins. A man with over 13,000 posts to his name, so it'll be his first of any really quality tonight, or not, as the case may be, depending on his selections...

Ladies & gentlemen, I give you, Mr Billy Baroo...

Here are Billy's selections for you to listen to as we discuss them during the show:

Jackie Wilson - (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher

Primal Scream - Come Together

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold

Sweet Thing - Van Morrison

Shack - Reinstated

Tom Rush - No Regrets

Gillian Welch - Everything Is Free

Gene Clark - Because Of You

Billy, a warm welcome to TID Towers. I trust you and your people are happy with the facilities, and more importantly you're happy with your rider.
Sorry it's not Paul Gambaccini doing the show, but I hope you understand that I had to draw the line somewhere at the original demands, otherwise there would have been mass demonstrations outside TID Towers...

I see you've changed into yet another outfit btw....

Last edited by Brenner; 02-11-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Billy Baroo

Default Re: TIDs (3) #6 - Billy Baroo

easy now, brenningtons, i finally made it

just my usual evening attire of a smoking jacket and fedora

i must say its a great honour to now be among the luminary alumni that have preceded me...and that old c*** no fun

fine facilities and the hemp is impeccable

beginingtons

Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Brenner

Default Jackie Wilson - (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher

High praise indeed squire, we aim to please here...

Your opening track is by the late, great Jack Leroy Wilson (Jnr) and his 1967 offering. Tell us why this track makes your final 8 Billingtons...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Billy Baroo

Soul was my very first true musical obsession. At the age of 13 I used to play all my old mans vinyl 45’s and a lifelong love affair with soul and Motown began. This could so easily have been an Otis or a Smokey track but for as long as I can remember I can come back to this track and every time it sends a tingle down my spine. Its got so much f***ing energy, a driving tempo and an uplifting vocal. If I hear it I want to dance.

The strings and horn section are sensational but Jackie’s voice soars over it all, so crisp yet smooth. The whole thing just encapsulates that feeling when you first meet somebody and start seeing them. That feeling of being alive, full of hope, invincible and excited about everything about them

I had it earmarked as the first dance if I ever get wed but one of my c*** best friends beat me to it

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Far be it from me to interrupt such a sacred institution, but Shack are fantastic and its a travesty that you didn't have a link.

YouTube - Mick Head @ Carling Academy 18/12/08
Edited, cheers Offers

A truly great vocalist I have to agree.

Apparently, legend has it that he cut the lead vocal in a single take...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Edited, cheers Offers

A truly great vocalist I have to agree.

Apparently, legend has it that he cut the lead vocal in a single take...
is that right?

i wouldn't be at all surprised, he started putting stuff out in the 50's i think so he had the experience to be able to that and his voice is as good as it gets for me

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Brenner

Did you like the link I used for the track? Some right muthaf***in moves being thrown in there by Jackie in his f*** me boots...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Did you like the link I used for the track? Some right muthaf***in moves being thrown in there by Jackie in his f*** me boots...
was laughing my tits off. i've seen that link before so as soon as it came up i started chuckling

you'll be chucking those shapes down the Albert next time?

for all that don't know, brenner is a dance machine

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Brenner

Default Primal scream - Come Together

Too kind Billiam, too kind...

Track two then is from the sublime Screamadelica LP from 1991, a "must have" in any record collection worth its salt. What memories does this evoke for you...?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Billy Baroo

Screamadelica is one of my all time favorite albums and this Weatherall mix of Come Together is the stand out track for me

We’d been getting into dance music for a few years and taking bumbles and trips. Finally somebody had managed to get down on record in an album all that entailed

They toured the album in ’92, which was the year I finished my A levels and it became the soundtrack for our very own Summer of Love be4fore we all f***ed off to college. The day after our final exam we headed down to Glastonbury where they were headlining and basically got high for 4 days straight. My daft indie mates went to see Carter USM instead but I went and saw the Scream and it was f***ing unbelievable

When Come Together started up with that incredible Jesse Jackson address from the Watts music festival the whole place went f***ing mental. Afterwards I headed back to our tents to meet up with everyone, I was completely off my titties and pretty much danced all the way back in a world of my own with this as the soundtrack in my head. At one point I became aware of people shouting at me and realized I was so out of it I had walked straight through their camp fire and the bottom of my jeans were smouldering and about to catch alight. I’ve often wondered if onlookers realized what I was doing to put them out or whether they though I was doing my very own aggressive dance to no music on my ron todd in the middle of a field

We then went to Ibiza for the first time a month later and you could hear this album being played everywhere, blasting out of apartments and by swimming pools or stuff like Higher Than The Sun at Café Del Mar while we all got stoned at sunset.
Closed Thread