United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Brenner

Exclamation TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

Greetings music lovers, and welcome to another episode of Tissue Island Discs, in what has been a fascinating 3rd series so far, I'm sure you'll agree.

This is the place to be, far far away from the pain and hurt of yesterday's performance against those bin-dipping, granny-stabbing, chicken-mourning, shit-flinging, phlegm-spitting, wall-pushing, verminous scouse c***s. So sit back, chill out and forget all about it for the next couple of hours...

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to tonight's guest in the chair, Gazw649, who has been waiting patiently in the green room.

Without further ado then, here are the tracks we'll be listening to and discussing in detail tonight...

1. The Music - Welcome to the North

2. The Verve - Come On

3. The Who - I Can See For Miles

4. B B King - The Thrill Is Gone

5. Oasis - Morning Glory

6. Nick Drake - Things Behind The Sun

7. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As Love

HOUSEKEEPING - feel free to post your observational comments, (IE: nice choice, great version etc) but please join in/ask questions in more detail AFTER the luxury item

Gaz,

Good evening, and a warm welcome to TID Towers - thanks for coming.

Your tracklist is a very 60's & guitar influenced affair....

Old 26-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

Evening all. Indeed it is. Im a guitar player you see, which hugely affects my music choices.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Brenner

Default The Music - Welcome To The North

That explains things then, I'm envious of you already

Selections spanning four separate decades, and your first selection is the opening track from the album of the same name by Lids band, The Music.

Tell us why this made your list...

Old 26-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: The Music - Welcome To The North

What a tune. Probably my favourite band. How the never get the recognition they deserve is beyond me. One of those tunes that gets you pumped up, no matter what. In fact, if I was a boxer, id come out to this tune. Could smash anyone after listening to this I reckon, f*** the training! Seriously though I love the guitar riff and the vocals, and the drumming is sensational. Produced by Brendan o Brian I believe, which explains the big rock sound of this whole album, and although that might not suit them completely, it works a treat on this tune.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Brenner

Agreed, the riff is pumping.

O'Brien did produce this track, a man who worked with the likes of Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen.... it does work as you say, but how the f*** he ended up with a load of Lids c***s is beyond me though...

Old 26-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Gazw649

Indeed. Not sure if any of the band follow football, but heard rumours that Rob Harvey is an Arsenal fan. The c***. Anyway that whole album is pumping. Proper drinking music if you know what i mean. I would also recommend their latest release, Strength in Numbers. Saw them at the academy this summer and they are one of the best bands i have seen live.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Brenner

Default The Verve - Come On

Moving onto your second track Gaz, from the critically & commercially acclaimed "Urban Hymns" album from 1997, the band's best selling release.

What memories does this evoke...?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: The Verve - Come On

2. My favourite track off one of the best albums of the 90s. Remember first hearing this late 90s, and was well into the verve / Oasis etc. For me this song showed the Verve had a great knack of forging a tune from a jam session, layering tunes with noise and textures, rather than the more straight forward approach of their contemporise. Never saw the Verve live, but I bet this would sound mint as a closer, extending the end into an all out frenzy. Never heard Ashcroft so passionate as well at the end of the song, really overshadows his somewhat restrained solo efforts.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Brenner

I like the slow, deliberate build up in many of The Verve's tracks, reaching the inevitable crescendo, this is a Zeppelin-esque pounding track

Old 26-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Gazw649

Exactly. when i was learning the old six string i could never get the verve sound, it was only later i learned the effect heavy, multi layered jive that was going on. this whole album sums up memories of being in my teens, drinking larger in the summer, wearing a Kangol hat being well into the indie scene at the time, like alot of kids around that time i reckon
Closed Thread