United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Brenner

Exclamation TID's (3) #1 - Jaffo

A very good evening, and a warm welcome to you all, for the first of the eagerly anticipated 3rd Series of Tissue Island Discs

In the words of Gary Glitter - It's Good To Be Back...

The concept (for those of you who don't know) is simple:
Your 8 most memorable tracks; your favourite book; and 1 luxury item you'd like to take with you, if you were marooned on Tissue Island.

Without further ado, it gives me great pleasure to welcome my guest for tonight's series-opener, Jaffo

Here are his track selections:

1. David Bowie - Starman

2. The Slits - Love Und Romance (Peel Sessions Version)

3. U-Roy - Chalice In The Palace

4. Kenny Smith - Lord What's Happening To Your People?

5. Public Enemy - Public Enemy No. 1

6. The Rolling Stones - Fool To Cry

7. The Cramps - Caveman

8. Johnnie Allan - Promised Land

A bit of housekeeping - Remember, do not jump in with comments until after the luxury item.

Welcome Jaffers,

I trust you enjoyed the chilled smoked salmon canapes and bottles of Sauvignon Blanc provided for you in the green room
?

Last edited by Brenner; 08-09-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
jaffo

Evening Brenner, sorry for the tardy reply I was looking in the main forum

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Brenner

Default Starman - Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
Evening Brenner, sorry for the tardy reply I was looking in the main forum
No problem.

Your first track, is from 1972's "The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars" LP, (later released as a single), for what reason(s) does it make the list...?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
jaffo

This song and especially Bowie’s appearance on Top of The Pops was a revelation. Up until then I’d been sort-of getting into music (it was all football before that) and I’d bought a couple of 7” singles and an Alice Cooper album but this record just blew my mind!

It’s difficult to get across how outrageous and different Bowie was at the time but his appearance on TOTP completely freaked people out. It was so modern, so out there, just…fantastic.

Suddenly the stuff our older brothers and sisters were listening to was theirs, this was ours. At school the next day everyone was talking about it, a lot of people hated it – called him a poof – but I just knew this was it, this was what I’d been waiting for.

After that came Roxy Music, The New York Dolls, Iggy and Lou Reed (who’d been around before of course but Bowie’s patronage of them meant they were discovered by a bigger audience) but Bowie was the one who kick started it all for me. I f***ing love him to this day.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
no fun

sorry to butt in, but mrs jaffo just phoned -she needs jaffo in the drawing room to help with ruperts viola lesson

Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
sorry to butt in, but mrs jaffo just phoned -she needs jaffo in the drawing room to help with ruperts viola lesson
She actually is on the phone right now!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Brenner

So, an important artist in terms of forming and influencing your musical tastes and preferences then, how does his current work sit with you Jaff?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
jaffo

Well, he hasn't done much for three or four years but most of his post 1990 stuff is pretty good. Heathen, Earthling and Reality are all excellent and a lot of the rest of it is worth a listen. He had a bad (really bad) patch in the '80s but, to his credit, he's the first to admit that himself.

It's his '70s stuff that I really love though, that run of albums from Space Oddity through to Lodger is unbeatable.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Brenner

Default The Slits - Love Und Romance (PSV)

Track 2 of your 70's influenced selections Jaff, is by British punk quartet The Slits, from their 1979 album "Cut" on Island Records - why do they make the list...?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
jaffo

Thanks for the move Mr Chair

Sorry to be pedantic Brenner but it was the version the Slits recorded for the John Peel show that is in my list. I think it's from 1978 and it's quite a bit different from the version that ended up on Cut.

Anyway,punk happened at exactly the right time for me, I was 17 in 1976, so I had to pick a punk song. Of course I love the Pistols, the Ramones, the Clash and co but I thought I’d pick a lesser known song by one of the best (and worst) groups I saw around then.

I saw them supporting the Buzzc**ks in early 1978 and they were just so good. We saw them outside the venue getting changed in a Ford Cortina – four of them! They were sexy, tough and genuinely didn’t give a f***, they had a huge row on stage, the singer (Ari Up) wandered on about five minutes after the rest of them because she was, in her own words, ‘having a shit’, the drummer completely messed up the intro to a song and they made her do it over and over again until she got it right.

It makes me laugh these days to see Amy Winehouse, Beth Ditto and all that lot thinking they’re outrageous and ‘punk’. The Slits would kill the lot of them without even thinking about it. On the song I’ve chosen, Ari forgets the words but they don’t care – they didn’t bother doing it again, just put it out there, who gives a f***? It was so outrageous at the time – that people just didn’t care and, to me, that was what punk was all about.
Closed Thread