United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-03-2009, 10:11 PM
utd99

Default Every season has it's 5-0 St James' moment, this was '09's.

I've been feeling for weeks now that the only thing that was going to give us a shot at all 5 trophies was a come-uppance of some sort, something to bring us down to earth and galvanize the players for the home stretch, and one thing United have been superb at during Fergies reign is bouncing back from a hurtful loss.

I don't think we have been anywhere near as good as the hyperbole that has been doing the rounds recently. The whole "untouchables" thing did not fit in with the number of times we have heard 'United were below par today but did enough to win', I wish I had a quid for every time i've heard it and felt it, and while just enough to win may be enough against Newcastle and Blackburn, it would not against Barcelona or a revitalized Chelsea in the CL. If we were honest, we were due a reverse and the only competition we could afford one in was the Prem.

So there are two ways of looking at today's embarrassment. The first is devastation at such a beating, against such an enemy, in such a way. The second is to imagine the feelings of our players and manager, and how this will shock and spur them on. Fergie has used losses as a tool very effectively in the past, and what a tool he has now. Quite frankly, if we were going to lose, I'd rather an embarrassment than a close loss with excuses. I can only imagine what was going on in the changing room at full-time.

Certainly there are mitigating factors. Vidic is out for 3 games, and Ferdinand appears to at 80%, possibly carrying the back injury, but Evans has come on big this year and will need to step up the way Wes did last. I wish we had a proper right back, I wish Anderson had pushed on from an impressive first season, I wish Ronny would discover shades of last year, I wish Nani had learned something, I wish Park could round off his game with some significant end product and I wish Berbatov would stop playing within himself and start showing the confidence he had at Spurs. But I'm confident we can overcome them all when we remember that we are in a fight for the major honours, not a coronation.

Every year has it's moment for blind faith in Fergie and he deserves it. Next year, our DVD could well be entitled, 'the Quintuple', while theirs reads 'That day at Old Trafford'.

Something like this was inevitable. We are United.

Comfortable is not the way we roll.

Unread 14-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Albert Tatlock

Why is Vidic out for three ?

It was a straight red, but it wasn't violent conduct, more denying a goal scoring opportunity, so that should be one match... unless of course we appeal then it'll be a lifetime ban.

Unread 14-03-2009, 10:19 PM
TravellingRed

I said the same thing to my mate at full time. If it was the other way round rafa would be blaming all and sundry, fergie will use it as a tool to spur the lads on....tell them they let themselves and the fans down and to go out the next game and sweep all aside.

Well i hope so anyway

Unread 14-03-2009, 10:27 PM
borsuk

on the money with that, utd99

good post

Unread 14-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Zorg

Great post.

There are always these freak Fergie results, this time it happened to be against those @#%&!s at home.

I can honestly see United winning all remaining league games, but I cannot see Liverpool doing that.

Unread 14-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Ether

Very good post mate

Unread 14-03-2009, 11:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
on the money with that, utd99

good post
Cheers mate, long time.

As an aside, have you ever seen a 4-1 look less like a 4-1?

Unread 14-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Cheers mate, long time.

As an aside, have you ever seen a 4-1 look less like a 4-1?
that one at Eastlands.

Unread 14-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Charlestown Rouge

To make people feel marginally better - Dippers to win the league is still freely available with the bookies at 11/1.

Unread 15-03-2009, 12:16 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

i hinted at this exact same thing in the "perspective" thread......

only wish it had been against some other team rather than this bunch of slimey @#%&!s

Unread 15-03-2009, 12:29 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
only wish it had been against some other team rather than this bunch of slimey @#%&!s
Sure, but if it's going to have the desired effect it has to hurt, and what hurts more than this?

I'd have been worried if it were an edgy 2-1 loss to someone like Villa, now I'm confident. Fergie must have been on a slow burn.

Unread 15-03-2009, 12:33 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Sure, but if it's going to have the desired effect it has to hurt, and what hurts more than this?

I'd have been worried if it were an edgy 2-1 loss to someone like Villa, now I'm confident. Fergie must have been on a slow burn.
an edgy 2-1 v Villa no...but a similar performance and a 4-1 loss to Villa maybe would....and at least those @#%&!s wouldnt have had another day in the sun.....theyre going to have "beat Madrid and United in one week" DVDs out before the end of the season

Unread 15-03-2009, 02:03 AM
shenwen

Quote:
I've been feeling for weeks now that the only thing that was going to give us a shot at all 5 trophies was a come-uppance of some sort, something to bring us down to earth and galvanize the players for the home stretch, and one thing United have been superb at during Fergies reign is bouncing back from a hurtful loss.

I don't think we have been anywhere near as good as the hyperbole that has been doing the rounds recently. The whole "untouchables" thing did not fit in with the number of times we have heard 'United were below par today but did enough to win', I wish I had a quid for every time i've heard it and felt it, and while just enough to win may be enough against Newcastle and Blackburn, it would not against Barcelona or a revitalized Chelsea in the CL. If we were honest, we were due a reverse and the only competition we could afford one in was the Prem.

So there are two ways of looking at today's embarrassment. The first is devastation at such a beating, against such an enemy, in such a way. The second is to imagine the feelings of our players and manager, and how this will shock and spur them on. Fergie has used losses as a tool very effectively in the past, and what a tool he has now. Quite frankly, if we were going to lose, I'd rather an embarrassment than a close loss with excuses. I can only imagine what was going on in the changing room at full-time.

Certainly there are mitigating factors. Vidic is out for 3 games, and Ferdinand appears to at 80%, possibly carrying the back injury, but Evans has come on big this year and will need to step up the way Wes did last. I wish we had a proper right back, I wish Anderson had pushed on from an impressive first season, I wish Ronny would discover shades of last year, I wish Nani had learned something, I wish Park could round off his game with some significant end product and I wish Berbatov would stop playing within himself and start showing the confidence he had at Spurs. But I'm confident we can overcome them all when we remember that we are in a fight for the major honours, not a coronation.

Every year has it's moment for blind faith in Fergie and he deserves it. Next year, our DVD could well be entitled, 'the Quintuple', while theirs reads 'That day at Old Trafford'.

fully agree

apart from the bit about the way we roll.

this defeat was due, although not to the extent it came. 2;1 would have been fairer. but £#%&! it. a freak result. we will be over it in May.

Unread 15-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Tumescent Throb

United were in complete control of what they were doing at the back until Vidic let that ball bounce; why the £#%&! did he let it bounce?

Evra is a worry though

If I was an opposition manager I'd target him all day long as I have been saying for a good while now

He needs to get a lot £#%&!ing better going forward or he's no real use to us imo

Unread 15-03-2009, 02:19 AM
celtbion

Quote:

This team has some great players in it.

It is not a great team.

Nor will it be until we adequately replace Scholes, Keane and RVN.

Unread 15-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
United were in complete control of what they were doing at the back until Vidic let that ball bounce; why the £#%&! did he let it bounce?
He's probably wondering the same thing. It's such a basic, elemental thing: you never let a long ball bounce in your half, it's suicide.

It reminds me of that Ronaldo handball he got sent off for, just a bizarre moment of poor/non-judgment.

Unread 15-03-2009, 02:56 PM
armchair

There's a vds should be dropped thread today.

Unread 15-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

on the plus side our consistently good run of result-getting means our target has risen from 83 - 85pts up to 85 - 87pts on the Throbulator

Vermin can muster 88pts at best.

Unread 15-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Jack Duckworth

good post, utd99.

Unread 15-03-2009, 03:50 PM
prunier84

Quote:

agreed.

Ok, we’d been hammered by a side who aren’t as good as us and happen to be Liverpool but in the grand scheme of things it may make little difference – even scousers clinging onto it as a seminal moment in history will only come to represent just how feckless they have been in recent times in failing to find actual trophies to replace pathetic, individual memories (e.g riiise kicking it hard, danny Murphy’s spindly freekick etc) – nb city and the 5-1….
Closed Thread