United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default The yoof system.

I've just been thinking recently that after a period that has maybe not produced "star" players as that great team in the early 90s did that we may have restarted the "production line" again. This season, Evans looks like he could slot in at centre half for 10 years, obviously behind Vidic and Rio. At fullback we have the 2 young Brazillians, with Rafael playing in big games and not looking at all out of place. We have a couple of promising midfielders in Gibson and Possebon, obviously opinions differ on Gibson i'll let time tell. It is up front, where perhaps United have had least success recently developing players that things look best. Obviously it would be premature after just a single great and important goal to predict too much for Macheda but having watched his hat-trick in the reserves against the barcodes a week ago, i can't help but think we have a very special talent on our hands. Welbeck too looks to have everything it would take to be a top striker, think it's 3 top level goals this saeson already from a very young player. I also understand that there is great optimism about some of the players a year or two younger than these, players like Zeiler, James and Petrucci I think this bodes rather well for the club and speaks to a very good youth setup that has benefited from the commitment recently of McClair, Ole, Rene and Ferguson.

I know it might be silly to some extent to expect too much so soon but "Kiko's" goal today made me think it might be a good time to mention a facet of the club that has always held such importance.

Cheers.

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
armchair

His size is a bonus too. Proper physical presence.

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
His size is a bonus too. Proper physical presence.
Macheda I take it? Yeah, it helps, comparisons to Rossi immediately become a cows opinion.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I've just been thinking recently that after a period that has maybe not produced "star" players as that great team in the early 90s did that we may have restarted the "production line" again. This season, Evans looks like he could slot in at centre half for 10 years, obviously behind Vidic and Rio. At fullback we have the 2 young Brazillians, with Rafael playing in big games and not looking at all out of place. We have a couple of promising midfielders in Gibson and Possebon, obviously opinions differ on Gibson i'll let time tell. It is up front, where perhaps United have had least success recently developing players that things look best. Obviously it would be premature after just a single great and important goal to predict too much for Macheda but having watched his hat-trick in the reserves against the barcodes a week ago, i can't help but think we have a very special talent on our hands. Welbeck too looks to have everything it would take to be a top striker, think it's 3 top level goals this saeson already from a very young player. I also understand that there is great optimism about some of the players a year or two younger than these, players like Zeiler, James and Petrucci I think this bodes rather well for the club and speaks to a very good youth setup that has benefited from the commitment recently of McClair, Ole, Rene and Ferguson.

I know it might be silly to some extent to expect too much so soon but "Kiko's" goal today made me think it might be a good time to mention a facet of the club that has always held such importance.

Cheers.

Good post and very true, I've watched the youth and reserve teams fairly regularly over the last, 7-8 years, since MUTV (I used to go to both levels as well, but that fell by the wayside) and we really do have some top, top quality youngsters coming through, some that aren't any where near 1st team age/level yet as well.

You also missed off Frasier Campbell.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
marlo

Quote:
Macheda I take it? Yeah, it helps, comparisons to Rossi immediately become a cows opinion.
or a 'maos' opinion

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
MrBishi

Quote:

Cheers.
Very promising players & I'm glad to have them here, but they're nothing to do with our youth system.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Camel

Quote:
I think they are getting chances, we're just a harder team to break into now. We're European Champions, it's difficult for any player to play for us now, particularly a kid, that's what I find encouraging about how many young players have played and at times played in big games this year.
but you'd have to agree that's mainly down to lack of options at times. or cc games. rafael being the exception.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up

antonin the very promising youngster you mentioned is probably this lad

could be another star in the making.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Very promising players & I'm glad to have them here, but they're nothing to do with our youth system.
I suppose you could say so, the FA 90 minute rule means that they are our youth system. If you have a term you'd rather me use I'm happy to do so. "Young scouting system" might sound, given that we're on the internet, a bit dodgy.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
antonin the very promising youngster you mentioned is probably this lad
YouTube - Ravel Morrison Manchester united

could be another star in the making.
Was gonna mention him but given my "met his Dad" thread thought I'd keep it quiet.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
but you'd have to agree that's mainly down to lack of options at times. or cc games. rafael being the exception.
I would but isn't that how young players normally get their chance, initially at least?

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM
marlo

i was suprised at macheda actual stature.

was wondering who the tanned lad running around looking assured and busy was.

have seen antonin and dunk going on about him but didnt know what he looked like proper proper.

very impresed with him and wellbeck.

but where does campbell stand because imo he is abit better than both of them and doesnt deserve to now be giving a chance. he is slightly older though.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
i was suprised at macheda actual stature.

was wondering who the tanned lad running around looking assured and busy was.

have seen antonin and dunk going on about him but didnt know what he looked like proper proper.

very impresed with him and wellbeck.

but where does campbell stand because imo he is abit better than both of them and doesnt deserve to now be giving a chance. he is slightly older though.
Marlo, I was watching this last week and I genuinely thought he should be getting on the bench this week

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Camel

Quote:
I would but isn't that how young players normally get their chance, initially at least?
yes, but not many have pushed on from there in the last 5 years.
Quote:
Marlo, I was watching this last week and I genuinely thought he should be getting on the bench this week

YouTube - Kiko Macheda hat-trick: United vs Newcastle Reserves 30/3/09
get's behind the line. prolific for the reserves. but unlike rossi looks powerful too. hope he makes it.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
yes, but not many have pushed on from there in the last 5 years.

True and I was trying not to get too giddy, was just saying that we're getting more than recently now and that perhaps as i said the "production line" has re-started to some extent. There is a position available as a Manchester United forward next season, one of those kids, I think they have the talent, could fill it.

Unread 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
dunk

Quote:

YouTube - Kiko Macheda hat-trick: United vs Newcastle Reserves 30/3/09
He played upfront, on his own and gave that Cacapa a real hard time. It convinced me he wasn't far off, the last month or so he has just looked bigger and stronger than before, and giving an experienced defender like Cacapa a hard time, physically, was a good indication of his being ready.

Gave them CB's today a lot to think about physically today, especially as he is so young. He's quite a fiery character as well, it seems. Not a bad thing.

I don't think Matt James will be too far behind him in arriving in the 1st team squad FWIW.

Oh, and wtf has happened to Tosic, he has disappeared.

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
wonky no

i also like campbell and eckersley.

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Oh, and wtf has happened to Tosic, he has disappeared.
im not going to say it

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
im not going to say it
I wasn't asking you, you can £#%&! off

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Camel

Quote:
im not going to say it