United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 18-05-2024, 12:19 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
To keep on topic 99 was the best year for me non football wise also..... Will thread this next week...
88 here 🙂.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
He hinted it’s because of Fergie’s involvement in the production
Smacked arse.

Unread 18-05-2024, 03:52 AM
Chris Quayd

Just finished it and loved every bit, the only criticism is that they didn't make it 8-10 episodes as they clearly had the footage and could have done an episode just on the Arsenal rivalry alone. Far from depressing me about the state of things it rekindled just how special the club is and how it can be again. Modern football is shit but there is nothing in the world like United when the belief is high and the football is electric.

The consultant to the documentary was the journalist Matt Dickinson, I read his book '1999: Manchester United, the Treble and All That' around the time city were getting close last season. I thought them doing it would taint it somehow but the book is a masterpiece that reaffirmed that what was special about the treble wasn't the three trophies but the manner in which they were achieved and the drama and the risk we took to get there. It will always be the greatest season in English football.

Unread 18-05-2024, 08:16 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Just finished it and loved every bit, the only criticism is that they didn't make it 8-10 episodes as they clearly had the footage and could have done an episode just on the Arsenal rivalry alone. Far from depressing me about the state of things it rekindled just how special the club is and how it can be again. Modern football is shit but there is nothing in the world like United when the belief is high and the football is electric.

The consultant to the documentary was the journalist Matt Dickinson, I read his book '1999: Manchester United, the Treble and All That' around the time city were getting close last season. I thought them doing it would taint it somehow but the book is a masterpiece that reaffirmed that what was special about the treble wasn't the three trophies but the manner in which they were achieved and the drama and the risk we took to get there. It will always be the greatest season in English football.

Well said pal

Unread 18-05-2024, 09:03 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
Only seen the first episode but there’s a funny back and forth between Yorkie and G Nev talking about the Christmas party

Have to say it’s really good
Very much a warts and all documentary
Forgot all the issues the team and club went through that season
yeah it was a bit mad that they dredged up cole cheating on his wife by spit roasting a fan with Dwight yorke

didn't feel like an integral part of the story, cole is still married to her!

Unread 18-05-2024, 09:41 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Amen.

It’s the first season I fully remember in vivid detail. Me and my dad watching the CL final will always be a memory I’ll cherish; the sheer joy and jubilation from him was

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:23 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
spit roasting a fan with Dwight yorke
Does she feature on the show with her reminiscences?

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:36 AM
Vedder

That 98 Arsenal team were some team weren’t they

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:38 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post
I only missed one game in the 98/99 season home and away and that was only because I was in hospital. Only season I've ever come close to going to every game and it was that one. What a time to be 18/19 and discover credit cards

Kosice away Champions League qualifier reds I was 18 and vodka was about 20p a pop

Gonna watch this tomorrow with my lad
The opposite for me - it coincided with my Erasmus year so I spent almost the whole season in Paris and then Moscow. I only saw two matches in person - the first game against Leicester at OT and the 8-1 at Forest

I have to be honest, I was gutted to miss it all, especially the parade. And especially since I’d gone to almost every match the season before.

Quote:

Great post

Unread 18-05-2024, 11:06 AM
pedr0

I think my favourite part was all the shots of the cliff...special place, used to love going there as a kid

Unread 18-05-2024, 12:26 PM
puressence

Loved it wonderful times the best. And if anyone says out bad about ole

Unread 18-05-2024, 02:50 PM
Mou Mou Land

I had just landed my first 'large' government contract after turning self-employed and could not get out of attending a seminar at which I had to speak on the day of the final. It was at a very nice country club near Leeds and after boring the civil service audience to death for an hour about the value of 'New Deal' and 'Modern Apprenticeships', and how I was the only person who could possibly fill their delivery needs, I couldn't help but end with the following closing sentence.

'I was 11 when I went to Wembley to see my team win the European Cup many years ago, and tonight, because I am here, I will have to watch them on television instead of being there to watch them do it again. I am only telling you this because I can guarantee that whatever the result, I will not be in first thing tomorrow morning because of alcohol poisoning.'

This did not elicit much of a response apart from polite laughter and applause from the mainly London based audience, but bugger me it was good to see the local Leeds hotel staff seething.

Unread 18-05-2024, 09:15 PM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
I had just landed my first 'large' government contract after turning self-employed and could not get out of attending a seminar at which I had to speak on the day of the final. It was at a very nice country club near Leeds and after boring the civil service audience to death for an hour about the value of 'New Deal' and 'Modern Apprenticeships', and how I was the only person who could possibly fill their delivery needs, I couldn't help but end with the following closing sentence.

'I was 11 when I went to Wembley to see my team win the European Cup many years ago, and tonight, because I am here, I will have to watch them on television instead of being there to watch them do it again. I am only telling you this because I can guarantee that whatever the result, I will not be in first thing tomorrow morning because of alcohol poisoning.'

This did not elicit much of a response apart from polite laughter and applause from the mainly London based audience, but bugger me it was good to see the local Leeds hotel staff seething.
Banter!

Unread 18-05-2024, 09:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

This is the worst 99 story I've EVER heard... Congratulations.

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:01 PM
Finport Red

2 episodes in. How blessed we were and are.

A bit too much Phil Neville, and no Roy Keane, but other than that, great.

Loved Cole then, love him more now. If he’d played for anyone else they still be going on about him as one of the best England’s ever produced.

I particularly like the way that, as with song lyrics of the 1980s, I remember every word of the commentary that accompanies the goals in the last couple of months of the season.

A great watch and, if anything, it’s given me more of an inclination to see ETH more time to get the reboot of our club right.

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:16 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
A great watch and, if anything, it’s given me more of an inclination to see ETH more time to get the reboot of our club right.
welcome back

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:44 PM
suedeshoes

Watched it again with my lad (19). Talking to him about Dwight Yorke reminded me of what a player he was for us. He seems a dead sound fella now too and clearly £#%&!ing loved playing for United.

And also doesn't appear to have aged at all.

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Vedder

Yorkie ‘we’re gonna have a go at these @#%&!s now’ when talking about that Juve semi final

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:56 PM
Baron

Nostalgia took over and wine and I’m not sure if it was good or not but it hit the mark. Wonderful memories, some great anecdotes, I love Yorke, Cole, Butt & Sheringham more for it - very open about how it meant absolutely everything. Don’t care about the anti-Nev vibe he & Phil were running through walls - even appreciated Schmikes showing some human emotions about getting it wrong. Blomqvist trod a fine line but honestly, I came away thankful for Fergie more than ever. The difference between knowing what football means vs the mechanics is stark - what a £#%&!ing man. What a £#%&!ing team.

Unread 18-05-2024, 10:57 PM
Stickman

Love hearing all that behind scenes stuff like the dressing room fight after Sheff Wednesday away etc

Some great footage too. Real shame Keane didn’t get involved.

I’m only 1 episode down and impressed with it. It feels like a fresh and mostly unheard take on the whole thing. Frogson resigning before the season

Unread 19-05-2024, 12:18 AM
BigRonManager

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Yorkie ‘we’re gonna have a go at these @#%&!s now’ when talking about that Juve semi final

I briefly stuck subtitles on to make sure I heard it right.