United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame
Reply
 
Old 25-01-2018, 12:06 AM
The taste of syphillis
 
Default

They built houses on that shit hole didn't they?

Wonder if you can still stand on the spot Robbo and Leslie scored from?

Maybe some top sat surveying reds could see and get plaques down to wind up the berts, another one where they wasted time in the corner whilst being relegated.
 
Old 25-01-2018, 12:46 AM
My Name is Keith
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
It's easy to forget about the rawness and passion of the crowd from those days, it was immense compared to todays sanitised version of football which is is cold and boring. It's all bloody Yuppies in their seats in silence today. 
The reason I started going to United was all about being involved in the crowd rather than actually watching a game of football. Those days were mental. Weird now taking my lads - glad they donít see the uglier violent bits there were but also gutted they rarely experience an atmosphere.
 
Old 25-01-2018, 12:12 PM
shenwen
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
The reason I started going to United was all about being involved in the crowd rather than actually watching a game of football. Those days were mental. Weird now taking my lads - glad they donít see the uglier violent bits there were but also gutted they rarely experience an atmosphere.
I can barely remember individual games. It was all about the atmosphere. Used to love going with my old man and just soaking in all the stuff happening around us.

First game with my mates in the Stretford End was versus Liverpool. Don't remember the score but can still remember the bloke who would prematurely celebrate at every half chance. I know we scored because when we did score, three of us jumped on his back and went tumbling through the crowd. Going to matches was just a great excuse to piss about.
 
Old 25-01-2018, 12:32 PM
denis lawless
 
Default

Ground full an hour before kick off, singing your balls off.......none of this empty spaces as people wander in looking for their seat ......if you hadn't lost your voice before kick off, it had been a shit match.....

Stand out night for me for atmosphere was the Porto 5-2 game ....we needed a result, we didn't get it but what a night.
 
Old 25-01-2018, 12:39 PM
believe
 
Default

The contrast between this game and now is actually quite sad. I went to plenty of games in the 80ís bit donít remember a great deal but that Hughes celebration is the back drop of my childhood.

You had 22 players on the pitch who knew what the game was all about. The winning captain, after getting carried off the pitch, singing United songs then basically saying he was going on the piss to celebrate without anyone batting an eyelid.

Even the FA Cup as an institute of the game is long gone. I remember every cup final whether it was United, Liverpool, Wimbledon or Coventry, being shouted to come in and watch the players on a boat outside the hotel or clips from Wembley Way during the build up. There is literally nothing that equates to that feeling now in the modern game.
 
Old 25-01-2018, 01:02 PM
BarryX
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
The contrast between this game and now is actually quite sad. I went to plenty of games in the 80ís bit donít remember a great deal but that Hughes celebration is the back drop of my childhood.

You had 22 players on the pitch who knew what the game was all about. The winning captain, after getting carried off the pitch, singing United songs then basically saying he was going on the piss to celebrate without anyone batting an eyelid.

Even the FA Cup as an institute of the game is long gone. I remember every cup final whether it was United, Liverpool, Wimbledon or Coventry, being shouted to come in and watch the players on a boat outside the hotel or clips from Wembley Way during the build up. There is literally nothing that equates to that feeling now in the modern game.
I don't know, mate. The feeling I get when Sky post their latest flyer and offer through the letterbox brings up plenty of emotions...

 
Old 25-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Dueling Banjos
 
Default



Offside!
 
Old 25-01-2018, 05:40 PM
sub three hours
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
The reason I started going to United was all about being involved in the crowd rather than actually watching a game of football. Those days were mental. Weird now taking my lads - glad they donít see the uglier violent bits there were but also gutted they rarely experience an atmosphere.


It was something else, wasn't it?

What about the away trips? Piling off football specials or service trains in our thousands, trying to avoid or getting escourted to the ground by the local dibble and their friendly Alsations. Being kept in at the end of the game (unless you were in their end) until all the home support had left. Then on the way back, if couldn't avoid it more police with dogs, sometimes running the gauntlet of the home fans etc.

It was our passage of rites wasn't it?
 
Old 25-01-2018, 05:43 PM
92ToBury
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos


Offside!
Brian Moore was doing his best to make a case, despite Hughesy being onside.

Mind you, the media love-in with the dippers was strong then, pre-Hillsborough and something or other that happened in Belgium.
 
Old 13-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Denis Irwell
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Brian Moore was doing his best to make a case, despite Hughesy being onside.

Mind you, the media love-in with the dippers was strong then, pre-Hillsborough and something or other that happened in Belgium.
You get dippers and Arse fans saying the media fawned over us but it was incessant and universal with Liverpool. Even in your local pub you might mention some criticism of them and itíd be met with a slow shaking of the head and hushed tones: ďyeah but theyíre fucking goodĒ. Never any witch hunt (a la Keane, Cantona, Becks, Rio) with some of their over the ball stuff. Tommy Smith the mischievous/tough scouser. McMahon, Case, Souness, Grobelaar etc got away with murder.

Didnít mind Brian Moore though. Maybe I overlooked any barbs toward United as it hadnít become endemic.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: 85 Semi Replay - ITV highlights
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arsene Wenger admits he is still haunted by Arsenal's 1999 FA Cup semi-final replay loss to Manchest fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 07-03-2015 10:40 PM
WHU Replay RuffyPup MUFC Tickets and Travel 18 15-01-2013 05:16 PM
96 Semi Final, extended highlights thrills_pills_bellyaches Football 20 22-03-2011 02:08 PM
The line up in the semi final replay '99. BarryX Football 24 20-04-2009 08:27 AM
Highlights: United Youth v Arsenal (Semi Final, Second Leg) Crumps Football 3 06-04-2007 11:02 AM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.