United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2009, 03:06 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
It takes a while to get used to the pace of the Premiership, it can take a few months and some never adjust - Veron a classic example. For what we paid for Evra it was worth seeing how he'd do. For what we've paid for a supposedly "proven Premiership star" he's been piss poor tbf. Take into account his fee and his wages, can you honestly say we didn't pay too much for him?
nail on the head.
we got ripped off.

a aplayer of berbs quality should cost no more than about 19m.

Unread 13-01-2009, 03:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
a aplayer of berbs quality should cost no more than about 19m.
I's say more like £24 million especially given the prices paid for other players and the fact Spurs really didn't want to sell. So we may have overpaid by £5 million or more, not pleasant but i can get over it, hardly the players fault either.

Unread 13-01-2009, 06:06 PM
borsuk

this '...is worth (followed by a number pulled out of your arse)' argument always makes me laugh. it's as if you think there's a footballer supermarket with a bunch of players with price tags stuck on their heads. a player's value is simply a reflection of how much the seller and buyer need him and the relative negotiating strengths of the two parties, nothing more.

carrick was almost universally seen as overpriced at the time we bought him - i think myself and whaley were the only ones who saw it differently - when the fact was he was a good buy because he was the only player available with the qualities we needed to replace keane adequately. similar with berbles: there were no real striking options, certainly none with the vision and touch of berbles, available and fergie was determined to get his man - not somebody else, but berbles. time will show whether he was right. on past evidence i think we can expect him to have a better grasp of what the club needs than any of us.

personally i think berbles was a good buy. he brings something different to the attack and, if past seasons are anything to go by, he'll get better in the second half of the season. it's taken a while for the whole team to get going this season but his partnership with ronnie and rooney is starting to look very good indeed.

imho.

Unread 13-01-2009, 07:29 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
this '...is worth (followed by a number pulled out of your arse)' argument always makes me laugh. it's as if you think there's a footballer supermarket with a bunch of players with price tags stuck on their heads. a player's value is simply a reflection of how much the seller and buyer need him and the relative negotiating strengths of the two parties, nothing more.

carrick was almost universally seen as overpriced at the time we bought him - i think myself and whaley were the only ones who saw it differently - when the fact was he was a good buy because he was the only player available with the qualities we needed to replace keane adequately. similar with berbles: there were no real striking options, certainly none with the vision and touch of berbles, available and fergie was determined to get his man - not somebody else, but berbles. time will show whether he was right. on past evidence i think we can expect him to have a better grasp of what the club needs than any of us.

personally i think berbles was a good buy. he brings something different to the attack and, if past seasons are anything to go by, he'll get better in the second half of the season. it's taken a while for the whole team to get going this season but his partnership with ronnie and rooney is starting to look very good indeed.

imho.
great use of the word berbles throughout. top post.
Closed Thread