United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I like Johnson, although he's still not great defensively and his attacking play, while good, is not excpetional. I certainly think he's a major stepdown on someone like Alves and the improvement he'd provide on someone like Brown wouldn't be significant enough to make it worthwhile, for me.
he might be a major step down but he'd be much more maliable in as much as how we could develop him imo. He'd also cost - in as much as prices touted for both - about a third of the price... you get what you pay for. But I've seen Johnson improve hugely this season alone, if we got him in now I could see him taking an Evra size step forward in all aspects of his game. Plus, he could exchange tips on his barnet with Rio.

Win / win.

Old 20-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
lahms signed a new deal?
Gawdon Bennet! Indeed 'e 'as. OK? Frank Bough fer a brad pitt now. Nuff said, yeah?

Old 20-05-2008, 02:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
he might be a major step down but he'd be much more maliable in as much as how we could develop him imo. He'd also cost - in as much as prices touted for both - about a third of the price... you get what you pay for. But I've seen Johnson improve hugely this season alone, if we got him in now I could see him taking an Evra size step forward in all aspects of his game. Plus, he could exchange tips on his barnet with Rio.

Win / win.
Do you think he's considerably better than Wes/Hargreaves in the position?

Old 20-05-2008, 02:54 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Gawdon Bennet! Indeed 'e 'as. OK? Frank Bough fer a brad pitt now. Nuff said, yeah?
what ?

Old 20-05-2008, 02:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I like Johnson, although he's still not great defensively and his attacking play, while good, is not excpetional. I certainly think he's a major stepdown on someone like Alves and the improvement he'd provide on someone like Brown wouldn't be significant enough to make it worthwhile, for me.
Right back is in the defence isn't it? Just a question, 'cos defensively Wes has been excellent this year whilst getting a few assists and a cracking goal against the dippers. Why would you want to replace him with someonee you describe as not great defensively and only good going forward? I can kind of understand the idea behind Alves, though I think having 2 such attack mibnded fullbacks would probbly end up being disastrous, bringing in a player like Johnson for Brown, just don't get it.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
what ?
Indeed he has. I'm off for a shit now.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:03 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Right back is in the defence isn't it? Just a question, 'cos defensively Wes has been excellent this year whilst getting a few assists and a cracking goal against the dippers. Why would you want to replace him with someonee you describe as not great defensively and only good going forward? I can kind of understand the idea behind Alves, though I think having 2 such attack mibnded fullbacks would probbly end up being disastrous, bringing in a player like Johnson for Brown, just don't get it.
Agreed, apart from you not mentioning Clerc.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:05 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Agreed, apart from you not mentioning Clerc.
Err, neither did he? As to Clerc, not sure what you've seen that's so impressed you but you seem aclued up enough to take your word for it. If as you say he's a quality defensive fullback who can also join in getting forward well, a French G Nev, then yeah, maybe then I'd be in. I'd also be happy with G Nev, fit.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:12 PM
dodger

Quote:
Err, neither did he? As to Clerc, not sure what you've seen that's so impressed you but you seem aclued up enough to take your word for it. If as you say he's a quality defensive fullback who can also join in getting forward well, a French G Nev, then yeah, maybe then I'd be in. I'd also be happy with G Nev, fit.
I just feel Clerc should be mentioned in any thread, nay post, that we have on the full back issue.
I too would be happy with Gary Nev but I just don't think he can be relied upon. I'd feel a lot happier with him as back up. I suspect we'll start next season with him as first choice though.
As to Clercs qualities; he's big (massive for a full back), strong in the tackle, seems organanised, gets forward well and crosses well. I was mighty impressed by him in our games with Lyon. Perfect age at 25 too.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It wasn't me who suggested Johnson. Like I say, I'm not sure he's enough of an improvement on Brown - if at all - to make it worthwhile.

If we can't get Alves and there's nobody less well known on the scouting reports, I'd probably stick with Wes for next season.
Closed Thread