United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 13-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
hawkings
Don't be dissing The Hawk, he is already 2/3rds robot. He will be the first human to upgrade his legs to one of these bad boys and transplant his brain into a bell jar TWICI

Unread 13-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Don't be dissing The Hawk, he is already 2/3rds robot. He will be the first human to upgrade his legs to one of these bad boys and transplant his brain into a bell jar TWICI
nailed on he'll be a bully about it too. People think he's a nice person based on his inoffensive physical presence and high level of education. Guaranteed if he could mobilise himself in a titanium exoskeleton, he would rip people's spines out. guaranteed.

Unread 13-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Drexl

Quote:
nailed on he'll be a bully about it too. People think he's a nice person based on his inoffensive physical presence and high level of education. Guaranteed if he could mobilise himself in a titanium exoskeleton, he would rip people's spines out. guaranteed.
Correct. Something needs to be done before it is too late. This is a guy who can write The Brief History of Time by winking at the alphabet ffs

Unread 13-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Sapien

It seems all we need to do to outwit them is move to Switzerland

Unread 13-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Cream

Quote:
This. They would just be programmed to react and mimic emotions.

Social rejection detected.
Run mildhumiliation.exe
Engage tears
Had a couple of ex's who were like that. Only I was on the end of the rejection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
That's how it could start. Then machine learning and applied evolution - evolutionary algorithms - might take it to another level. Beyond my ken. But i wouldnt write em off.

I think we'll see genuine AI - capable of creative thought beyond it's original programing - on earth before we (all) see an Alien visitor pop in for tea.
According to Hubert Dreyfus, Heideggerian phenomenology precludes that level of AI using algorithms.

https://philosophyandpsychology.word...degger-and-ai/

Although he doesn't appear to write it off entirely.

Unread 13-02-2018, 02:39 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
how will we know if they are real feelings?
If we never wrote the software for them. i.e. if they are an emergent property of their AI.

Unread 13-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
It seems all we need to do to outwit them is move to Switzerland
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/963395318036525056
yeah. i don't think i could do better tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
If we never wrote the software for them. i.e. if they are an emergent property of their AI.
what if they write it for themselves? it's still artificial.

Unread 13-02-2018, 02:46 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Going by Jammy here - there is little difference between a computer prog reaching the parameters required to wet the bed and then wetting the bed and us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
We have far less free will than wed like to think. We have some around the margins but no amount of willpower will ever overcome where our hormones and programming want to take us. Were basically living out our programming on a conscious level and convincing ourselves were making choices from free will and are in control. Its where a lot of self hate comes from, because people do things they consciously dont want to do but cant stop themselves.
Let bots self define as aware when they're ready.

Last edited by MonkeyOnMyBack; 13-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Unread 13-02-2018, 02:59 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
what if they write it for themselves? it's still artificial.
No more artificial than your feelings, or mine.

Everything about us that makes us human is just an emergent property of the hardware that is our brains and bodies. If we create a computer sufficiently complex that feelings emerge then those feelings are just as real as ours.

Unread 13-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
No more artificial than your feelings, or mine.

Everything about us that makes us human is just an emergent property of the hardware that is our brains and bodies. If we create a computer sufficiently complex that feelings emerge then those feelings are just as real as ours.
DISAGREED.

The difference is far deeper. You cannot design a human's mind. You can manipulate it. You can guide it in directions. But you can't design it from the bottom up.
A cyborg who tells you he is outraged, but you know this is only because a code is written in his software? which can be then changed?

actually now I'm just talking myself around.

maybe they are just far better versions of us.

gosh i'd like one as a real doll. just for a weekend. Disengage your self respect android because you do not want to remember what's about to happen.