United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Would you want all your achievements linked to something you ingest though? What if they suddenly stop making it? Would you want to entrust your investments or whatever to someone who's entire success is based on these drugs? Suddenly they can't get them anymore; price becomes prohibitive, they become scarce etc. leaving said person with no focus or confidence in being able to do the job? Do you generate a tolerance over time? after 10 years you have to pop 47 pills at $42.50 a pop just to maintain etc. etc. Slippery slope to build your life on. The very fact others can be left behind if they don't have access puts it in the category of being an unfair advantage etc. and should be stamped out, for me.

The micro-dosing of recreational drugs to help maintain mental health and increase actual enjoyment of life is another thing entirely, for me. Should deffo be encouraged.

Yes there's a contradiction/hypocrisy there, but I'm comfortable with it
Someone's seen Limitless...

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Someone's seen Limitless...
I'd smash NZT tbf.

Forgot all about that film.

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
I fast every day between meals

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
Impressive. But if it leads to huge satellites, greater control over people and further wealth disparity then not great..

Tbf to Musk, the majority of his endeavours thus far have had the greater good in mind, his solar panels, electric cars etc. even if those at the bottom of the totem aren't necessarily benefiting much yet.
Yes, his stupid cars are too expensive for the average Joe. Meanwhile, his personal wealth has soared!

The investment twonks have been talking about profiting from green energy for a while now. Musk is profiting from huge state investment, funded by everyone, just like Gates and Jobs before him. And of course, the plebs hail him as some benevolent capitalist hero.

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Yes, his stupid cars are too expensive for the average Joe. Meanwhile, his personal wealth has soared!

The investment twonks have been talking about profiting from green energy for a while now. Musk is profiting from huge state investment, funded by everyone, just like Gates and Jobs before him. And of course, the plebs hail him as some benevolent capitalist hero.
https://medium.com/@Boringstein/a-st...h-11d3c6c9ca19

Unread 08-02-2018, 01:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Any chance you could circulate that to the English press Re: City and their owners? TIA.

Unread 08-02-2018, 02:48 PM
jem

Quote:
The very fact others can be left behind if they don't have access puts it in the category of being an unfair advantage etc. and should be stamped out, for me.
no one should be smarter unless everyone can be smarter? you deserve to live in the dark, eating only what you can grow between your toes, with garth 20x as your ceo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
not exactly a balanced article. obvs, tesla boy has clever people working for him, but the idea he hasn't contributed much personally, isn't smart and is only in it to increase his own wealth is a bit of a stretch. I mean.... even I made a comment about war and starvation on the spacex thread, but this is way harsh, dude. how is he a robber baron?

Unread 08-02-2018, 03:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no one should be smarter unless everyone can be smarter? you deserve to live in the dark, eating only what you can grow between your toes, with garth 20x as your ceo.

not exactly a balanced article. obvs, tesla boy has clever people working for him, but the idea he hasn't contributed much personally, isn't smart and is only in it to increase his own wealth is a bit of a stretch. I mean.... even I made a comment about war and starvation on the spacex thread, but this is way harsh, dude. how is he a robber baron?
Everyone should have equal access to that which could make them smarter.

What we don't want is artificially inflated thick fuckers in positions of prominence due to the superior resources afforded to them while genuinely intelligent people struggle like fuck due to lack of resource. See current governments in UK and USA.

Last edited by dunk; 08-02-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Unread 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I did try & caveat the opening post to state you need to get passed his appalling self-centredness before you reach the worthwhile bits...

With that in mind - you've got kids, it mentions modafinil for concentration (purportedly safe as houses, links to 25 studies on the blog) & also Adderall - basically every kid in America is on that for studying. Would you advocate your own kids going on it?

Would you try it yourself if you can't concentrate at work or have stresses that impact your career etc.

I'm kind of intrigued by the whole principle, as a rule I have no interest in the whole self-help movement, I read none of the books & I know a Life / Exec Coach (I laugh my cock off at his LinkedIn blogs etc) but this stuff is somewhat different.

Advocating real focus, based on chemicals (safe ones, albeit illicit in regards to MDMA or LSD etc) & the real world application of knocking off Social Media etc, getting real, genuinely good sleep (& tracking it) as well advocating exercise on top etc.... there are improvements to your life that can be made without huge leaps taking place.
When I moved over here was amazed to find how many people in top professions were popping Adderall, had a dabble myself and productivity shot through the roof, as did trips to the toilet (maybe 20 times a day). The next day was like a comedown, stiff jaw and body as you are so tense when on it, also brain doesn't work too well, not sure if it was getting back to normal or drained from over-exertion.

Unread 08-02-2018, 05:43 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
When I moved over here was amazed to find how many people in top professions were popping Adderall, had a dabble myself and productivity shot through the roof, as did trips to the toilet (maybe 20 times a day). The next day was like a comedown, stiff jaw and body as you are so tense when on it, also brain doesn't work too well, not sure if it was getting back to normal or drained from over-exertion.
Sounds like a speed comedown - just looked it up and it it is basically an amphetamine.

At uni i used up the weekend left overs while writing an oceanography essay - did it all the night before - finished about 5 in the morn - got 85% for it - the only first in my time at uni. Spent the next 2 days sleeping it off.