United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 27-01-2018, 10:38 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I was there, it was ok
Me too. Decent band, decent gig. Don't know how it influenced me tbh.

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:27 AM
rubbernecker

Free Trade Hall late 70s.

As an influence thing goes I've had arguments with people that this gig was majorly influential for Talking Heads.

The Human League were supposed to be supporting but were booted off because they were cheeky fuckers and only sending a tape and a film projector instead so A Certain Ratio ended up supporting at short notice.

I was in the wings that first night and stood next to David Byrne and he watched everything.They were invited to play at Newcastle and he watched everything again with some of the band.Pretty shortly after Talking Heads turned a lot funkier and less punky. I'd put money on it that ACR influenced David Byrne massively those couple of nights

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:36 AM
no fun

I was at a gig that was supposed to be one of the most influential in the history of Manchester music, and to be honest it was average at best

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:37 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
I was at a gig that was supposed to be one of the most influential in the history of Manchester music, and to be honest it was average at best
?

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:41 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
?
Second sex pistols gig at lesser FTH....buzzcocks, slaughter and the dogs, pistols....eulogised as being the gig that launched a thousand bands, it wasn’t that great

Unread 27-01-2018, 11:55 AM
waynes ear's

the one that apparently have less than 50 in the crowd yet every cunt claims to have been there?

Unread 27-01-2018, 12:13 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Second sex pistols gig at lesser FTH....buzzcocks, slaughter and the dogs, pistols....eulogised as being the gig that launched a thousand bands, it wasn’t that great
Did not go but appreciate where you're coming from

The palaver surrounding music has always been a nonsense created by PR and journo types.Most music hacks are as bad if not worse than football hacks.They invest in creating a mythology and the camp followers propogate and perpetuate because they believe or can make paper from the bullshit.

Many of so called great gigs I've been to have memorable more because of the people I've been with or girl I've pulled rather than the fayre on offer.

Unread 27-01-2018, 01:23 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
the one that apparently have less than 50 in the crowd yet every cunt claims to have been there?
That was the first gig in june76

The second gig in July 76 had about 200 there

Unread 27-01-2018, 02:17 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Presumably the 1000 all thought they could do better then!

Unread 27-01-2018, 02:30 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Free Trade Hall late 70s.

As an influence thing goes I've had arguments with people that this gig was majorly influential for Talking Heads.

The Human League were supposed to be supporting but were booted off because they were cheeky fuckers and only sending a tape and a film projector instead so A Certain Ratio ended up supporting at short notice.

I was in the wings that first night and stood next to David Byrne and he watched everything.They were invited to play at Newcastle and he watched everything again with some of the band.Pretty shortly after Talking Heads turned a lot funkier and less punky. I'd put money on it that ACR influenced David Byrne massively those couple of nights
Obvs I wasn't there but that sounds unlikely to me. On record at least ACR didn't even have a drummer when Talking Heads released Fear of Music