http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...r-united-isnt/

Unread 23-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Lodestar

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Good article by Carragher about the Pogba situation

'Whenever I watch Pogba I cannot help but recall an observation by Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary ex-AC Milan manager. He said a great talent does not make you a great player.

“When I was director of football at Real Madrid we had some who were very good footballers,” Saachi said. “They had technique, they had athleticism but they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play football. They lacked decision-making. They lacked positioning. They didn’t have the subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective. And for many I wasn’t sure they were going to learn. You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself.”

Sacchi could have been dissecting Pogba’s United performances in the last two seasons.'

Good find and great article on the situation. When l read that bit l've quoted l couldn't help think of Scholes. Not in any way comparing him to Pogba, but he could read the game and his positional sense was exceptional. Can you coach that? To some degree yes but l think it's mostly instinct with great players.

Pogba has great attributes but he's not showing a good football brain and getting tuned in.

Unread 23-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Good article by Carragher about the Pogba situation

Bang on, can anyone honestly say he has improved since he arrived? We bought potential and that's still all that he is.

Unread 23-02-2018, 10:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
'Whenever I watch Pogba I cannot help but recall an observation by Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary ex-AC Milan manager. He said a great talent does not make you a great player.

“When I was director of football at Real Madrid we had some who were very good footballers,” Saachi said. “They had technique, they had athleticism but they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play football. They lacked decision-making. They lacked positioning. They didn’t have the subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective. And for many I wasn’t sure they were going to learn. You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself.”

Sacchi could have been dissecting Pogba’s United performances in the last two seasons.'

Good find and great article on the situation. When l read that bit l've quoted l couldn't help think of Scholes. Not in any way comparing him to Pogba, but he could read the game and his positional sense was exceptional. Can you coach that? To some degree yes but l think it's mostly instinct with great players.

Pogba has great attributes but he's not showing a good football brain and getting tuned in.
To pick up on something Liam Brady recently said about it, the great midfield players usually know what they want to do with the ball a second before it arrives. Pogba doesn’t, and still doesn’t know what he wants to do with it after a couple of touches.

I’m not sure it can be taught. And may be why he wil never be a top midfield player.

Unread 23-02-2018, 10:26 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
No clue what that means but, obviously an insult of some kind
Absolutely NOT

Unread 23-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
To pick up on something Liam Brady recently said about it, the great midfield players usually know what they want to do with the ball a second before it arrives. Pogba doesn’t, and still doesn’t know what he wants to do with it after a couple of touches.

I’m not sure it can be taught. And may be why he wil never be a top midfield player.
I think he knows what he wants to do. He wants loads of touches so he can show off. How he plans to incorporate that into something benefitting the team is anyone's guess. He wants to draw opposition players near him so he can try and mug them off by doing a little trick. Only problem is the inconsiderate fuckers keep tackling him. Obviously United don't bother doing anything remotely similar in training so being tackled takes him totally by surprise.

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Jammy Dodger

Fucking hell, a few months ago he was the cornerstone of the team. Now he’s shit. United fans blowing with the wind.

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Ethers

I’m not his biggest fan right now, but think a lot of this is absolute bollocks frankly.

Jamie Carragher criticising Paul Pogba for lacking the subtle sensitivity of football ffs

Unread 23-02-2018, 11:18 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
f***ing hell, a few months ago he was the cornerstone of the team. Now he’s shit. United fans blowing with the wind.
He was playing better this season before the injury/red card, But really he wasn't very good for long periods last season and we all hoped it was going to get better. He needs to think of football first not his brand. Maybe fergie could see he wasn't made for a two man midfield.