United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 03:15 PM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
last night smalling was a liability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
he's also made a whole series of laughable and/or incompetent errors that have cost us goals.


throb's phonograph and its single record.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 03:18 PM
sa7
 
Default

He's played very well when he's abandoned his efforts to be a shit Rio Ferdinand pastiche and focused on using his strength to bully centre forwards.

When he tries to get on the ball and dictate things he's a fucking clown.

We need a proper leader to play football from the back and organise the defensive line, leaving Smalling to deputise as muscle.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Cream
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
He's played very well when he's abandoned his efforts to be a shit Rio Ferdinand pastiche and focused on using his strength to bully centre forwards.

When he tries to get on the ball and dictate things he's a fucking clown.

We need a proper leader to play football from the back and organise the defensive line, leaving Smalling to deputise as muscle.
Yes, that sounds ideal but for some reason both our centre backs play the ball out from defence. Is this team orders or simply unavoidable?

Blind is excellent going forward.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:04 PM
MUFC One Love
 
Default

Smalling is not good enough to start regularly for a team looking to win the league. He's unbelievably overhyped. Any pressure and he goes under.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:23 PM
S/Side.Red
 
Default

Yeah, basically depends on the manager and style. In a team playing out from the back and especially this one where defenders are encouraged to carry the ball into the opposition half, he costs you a lot in build up. In a more defensive set up such as Mourinho's you could stick an organiser next to him and he will probably be very good.

His distribution is so woeful but he's a great athlete and very difficult to beat one v one.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:34 PM
dodger
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Smalling is not good enough to start regularly for a team looking to win the league. He's unbelievably overhyped. Any pressure and he goes under.
He isn't. A large majority actually think he's worse then he is. Whether he's a centre back for a side who want to win the league is a different matter and brings us back to the question of a better partner for him
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:36 PM
jem
 
Default

smalling is the best defender we have. even king louis gets that and he's retarded.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Tumescent Throb
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
smalling is the best defender we have. even king louis gets that and he's retarded.


did you even read the question?


btw jones has been out all season. he's at least as good as smalling.

i realise that's not saying all that much.
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Harri Jaffa
 
Default

Smalling is a good player. Arguably the best defender we have. Not the best we've ever had, but potentially really good with a proper partner
 
Unread 18-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Tiberian
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Smalling is a good player. Arguably the best defender we have. Not the best we've ever had, but potentially really good with a proper partner
Major test for him this summer, will go to the Euro's probably established as England's first choice CB. Might not be saying much considering how weak the group is compared to almost any time over the last 30 years but a strong tournament and the confidence it can bring would be another step for him.
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: The Smalling question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smalling: 'We'll do what we want...' dragflick Football 5 22-03-2014 02:11 PM
Smalling Blagger Football 60 26-02-2014 02:39 AM
Smalling at cb wonky no Football 19 23-01-2014 02:03 AM
Smalling ScholesScoresGoals2 Football 47 27-04-2010 10:55 AM
I dont question, our existence....I just question, our modern needs Switching Off Off Topic 8 04-04-2009 11:13 PM
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Copyright 2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.